Laser for pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbsmith

I'm looking to buy a laser for engraving my pens. I know this is a big investment and might really be going out on a limb - but am giving it some serious thought. Of course, I haven't told my wife of this idea yet - quiet!! I was wondering if there is anyone out there that has any thoughts, good, bad, ugly, not so ugly, etc.

Any particular brands that are better than others, worse than others. I'm only looking for one to use for pens. I know that limits what I can do - but also know that will keep the cost down.

Any help is certainly appreciated.

Aloha
DJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi DJ! You need to talk to Ken Nelson from Kallenshaan Woods (http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com/). He knows more about laser engraving pens than anyone else, and has pioneered many of the methods that allow you to accurately laser small round objects. And he's a nice guy! Drop him an E-Mail!

Scott.

oldsmokey

I can't see investing $10,000 in a laser to do just pens. I could spend $10,000 on a lot of new tools. I use Ken Nelsen in Las Vegas to do my pens. He does first rate work and has a fast turn-around time.
His web site is www.kallenshaanwoods.com

Mark4583

I looked into it at one time myself, Dont remember the price on them but they where a investment just to get started.

btboone

As others have mentioned, getting a laser just for your pens probably doesn't make financial sense. Although it can be done, there are relatively few people to make a 10K to 15K profit from pens, so that needs to be carefully considered. On the plus side, if you decide to get one, it opens up a lot of possibilities for earning more money. These include doing awards and pens for others, as well as the niche stuff that will make it all worthwhile. That's the part that you will need to figure out though. You will also need to reach those people, so that may involve shows and traveling. Just some more food for thought.

laneo

A laser is a big investment The ones you see for $10,000 just get you in the door. They are low wattage and have small stages. Keep in mind that power=speed and with the 9 x 12" stage that will really limit what you can get in there to engrave. Everyone who has a laser wishes they had one with more power (We've got a 75watt Epilog with the 18 x 24" stage and that was in the $30,000 neighborhood)(You can't go wrong with Epilog or Universal. Both are excellent machines with excellent service). Keep in mind you will also need to purchase a good exhaust system ($300 for a little squirel case fan and some 4" ducting) plus you may also need a good source of air if you are going to have the aux air running (I highly recommend this) So you'll need a good size air compressor ($400). Now for the big question.

Where are you going to run this?

Do you have a storefront, or are you going to put it in your house? The reason I ask is simple, your insurance agent won't be thrilled that you have a laser in your house. Granted they are very safe, but there is a small risk of fire. It would be a shame if the unthinkable happened and then your insurance company refused to pay becase they found the cause to be the laser. I'd talk to your agent about this and get a ridder policy to be safe. Make sure the policy also covers the laser if your house/shop is destroyed by tornado,flood, locusts, etc. I'd bet that the replacement cost is NOT covered under your current policies contents coverage.

Also keep in mind the maintence costs. A laser tube is good for about 4 years rather you use it or not. Its around $3000 to replace this, so figure $1000 a year for that (They can go bad sooner)They can last longer too.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a laser, we LOVE ours, but we do more than just pens with it too.

I would recommend however, that you find a local shop that can do the engraving for you. Most places charge about $5.00 for a single line on a pen. You'd have to sell quite a few pens to make recoup the cost of the laser. Most trophy shops can handle it. You may even ask the sales rep from the laser company if anyone nearby has one of their product. That way you have someone to do engraving for you and you can see the product in action.

Best of luck

-Lane

I would recommend having a look at the sawmillcreek.org laser engraving forum....LOTS of good info there for those considering a laser.

btboone

Dan, those are the big boys. Probably a minimum of 600 watts. I want one of those too. Unfortunately, they take a steady supply of helium, nitrogen, and CO2, and takes tons of power to run them. Most are pretty darn big also. I wouldn't mind even having a jeweler's welding laser. Those are pulsed and are possible in table top ize.

dfurlano

Yeah I know, I tried looking for a table top wire EDM and couldn't find one reasonably priced either.

But I did find a great deal on a sink:

http://www.gesswein.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?cat=28&sub=7&subsub=77&catalog=1&CFID=924166&CFTOKEN=68753068

low_48

Stay away from the Chinese machines on Ebay. The ones for less than $3000. I have heard of machines that won't run, or have broken parts and lasers when they show up.
I bought from a rebuilt machine for $9000 from; http://www.usedlasers.com/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/
It is a Universal Laser with a rotary attachment. You can do a line, rotate the pen and do another line, so the rotary attachment is necessary unless you want to work in the round. You can do some great center bands when you engrave in the round.

Justify the cost? If I had to do that for all my machines I would be shooting pool for a hobby instead of woodworking. Laser engravers hold their resale very well. If it seems like too much in the future, you will be able to get most of your money back when you sell it.

Here's some more fun stuff I am doing for some jewelry boxes. The laser engraves on one program, then I outline the parts of the graphic I want to cut. I put down some colored veneer and cut that on the laser as well

200711442948_inlay1.jpg

20071144309_inlay2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom