New Direction in Acrylics for Me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DrD

DrD

I've been working on a design for ballpoint pens that 1)appeals to me, and 2)will hopefully appeal to customers - or as they as at the Masters Golf Tournament, will hopefully appeal to "patrons." The design has a flare in the lower part of the tube at the nib. For me, this makes writing with it much more comfortable; it is an exaggerated fountain pen section if you will. From the flare, the tube tapers out to a swell that is widest at the approximate point just at the end of the pocket clip. From there the tube tapers back to mate with the end cap. Hopefully this is all done in a smooth, flowing manner. This design lends itself well to single tube - as shown here - and to conventional 2 tube construction.

This started as a BHW Streamline 7mm Flat Top in chrome using a BHW AA24P Translucent Red blank. The drilled blank was not back painted nor were the brass tubes painted because of the uncertainty of what might happen with repeated removal and insertion for the nib tube.

As always, thanks for looking; ALL comments are greatly appreciated!

DrD
Red1.jpgRed2.jpgRed3.jpgRed4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

Me Likey. The flare reduces the pressure required to hold the pen and prevents slipping to the nib. I presume the nib, lower tube and transmission pull out as on piece for refill swap.
Suggested variation: Make the nib section of a contrasting color, in this case black. Length of section would be 1/2 lower tube.

Reactions: DrD

DrD

Me Likey. The flare reduces the pressure required to hold the pen and prevents slipping to the nib. I presume the nib, lower tube and transmission pull out as on piece for refill swap.
Suggested variation: Make the nib section of a contrasting color, in this case black. Length of section would be 1/2 lower tube
Thanks for the comments! I agree with you. And yes, the nib, lower tube and transmission all pull out together to change the refill. If you look back to another of my threads - "Prototype 2, No Joy" - there should be a photo of exactly what you suggested. In that post I was using wood, and trying to dye the section black, but with not much success.

Thanks again,

Don

Last edited:

magpens

That's a lovely design, Don !!!

Thanks for showing !!! . Your presentation of this pen is encouraging me to resuscitate the "single barrel slimline" as an item in my pen "arsenal" !!

I believe in the "single barrel slimline" the lower 7mm brass tube fits inside a slightly larger brass tube.

If I am correct in saying that, what size is the larger brass tube, please ?

Last edited:

DrD

That's a lovely design, Don !!!

Thanks for showing !!! . Your presentation of this pen is encouraging me to resuscitate the "single barrel slimline" as an item in my pen "arsenal" !!

I believe in the "single barrel slimline" the lower 7mm brass tube fits inside a slightly larger brass tube.

If I am correct in saying that, what size is the larger brass tube, please ?
Hey, what's up Mal?

I suspect there are many, many different ways to make a 1 piece pen - I've tried several. I am not familiar with enclosing the entire length of the lower 7 mm tube within another , wider tube, which would be an 8mm tube or a tube from a kit which requires an 8mm hole or a hole made by a letter "O" bit.

I read, from one of the instruction guides in IAP Resources of reinforcing the pen barrel at the nib. to give additional strength at that particular point. After drilling the 7mm hole, before removing the blank, replacing the 7mm bit with an 8mm bit and drill concentrically with the existing 7 mm hole, an 8mm hole about 3/4" deep into the nib end. Not have an 8mm bit (0.315" dia), I used a letter "O" bit (0.316" dia) and drilled about .75" into the nib opening. Then I took a tube from a BHW Flat Top American Double Twist pen kit (which requires a letter "O" hole) and cut off 0.75" and epoxide that into the hole I just drilled. Mind you, this is just for added strength around the nib. With my new Flared, "Write Comfort" tip, that area does not need strengthening, so I stopped drilling the extra hole. If you go that route, the 7mm tube fits quite nicely within the tube from the other kit. I fail to see ANY advantage of attempting to encase the entire lower 7mm in an 8 mm tube. I had 2 not so brilliant starts doing this until a purchased a long (5" capability) 7mm tube from Woodcraft.

I find it fun to experiment around - scientist/engineer within me - and see what can be done to the old Slimline, without going to the egg timer shape.

Good turning to ya,

Don

Alchemist

I like the shape of the pen. I'm assuming the shape would also prevent the fingers sliding down the pen (which, happens to me with many of store pens).

I think I saw a video on rjbwoodwork on YouTube about using an 8mm tube for an upper tube of a twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

@Alchemist - You said ....

"I think I saw a video on rjbwoodwork on YouTube about using an 8mm tube for an upper tube of a twist."

Please would you have the URL link for the YouTube video by RJB showing his method of making a single barrel slimline.

I had a quick look, but could not find it.

Thank you

DrD

@Alchemist - You said ....

"I think I saw a video on rjbwoodwork on YouTube about using an 8mm tube for an upper tube of a twist."

Please would you have the URL link for the YouTube video by RJB showing his method of making a single barrel slimline.

I had a quick look, but could not find it.

Thank you
Good Morning Mal,

I went back and looked at all the RJBWoodTurner videos I could find on 1 piece Slimline pens. In one of his videos, he does a 1 piece for a click Slimline rather than a twist; for that he uses a PSI Slimline Pro kit. That particular kit uses an 8mm tube rather than a 7 mm tube, and also uses a Parker style refill rather than a Cross - which makes sense as a Cross refill, as you know, is threaded. The link is https://www.youtube.com/user/RJBWoodTurner and the video is Modified Slimline Pro Ink Pen.

I hope this helps.

Don

DrD

Suggested variation: Make the nib section of a contrasting color, in this case black. Length of section would be 1/2 lower tube.
This is based off the removable section, 1 piece pen I made in wood - see Prototype 2 - No Joy. As you suggested it is a red body with a black section. I'm still toying with the best way to build this pen, if there is a best way. This construction was as 2 separate pieces - section and body. Definitely not the way I'll make the next one.

This started life as a BHW upgrade gold Streamline 7mm Flat Top, using AA 24 P translucent Red for the body and AA 25 Black for the section.

Comments, opinions, etc. are always appreciated. Thanks for looking.

DrD

Attachments

• IMG-0418.jpg
    IMG-0418.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG-0419.jpg
    IMG-0419.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG-0420.jpg
    IMG-0420.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG-0422.jpg
    IMG-0422.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG-0423.jpg
    IMG-0423.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG-0424.jpg
    IMG-0424.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 170

Alchemist

This is based off the removable section, 1 piece pen I made in wood - see Prototype 2 - No Joy. As you suggested it is a red body with a black section. I'm still toying with the best way to build this pen, if there is a best way. This construction was as 2 separate pieces - section and body. Definitely not the way I'll make the next one.

This started life as a BHW upgrade gold Streamline 7mm Flat Top, using AA 24 P translucent Red for the body and AA 25 Black for the section.

Comments, opinions, etc. are always appreciated. Thanks for looking.

DrD

I actually like this style. I often think about toying with twist styles, but, I'm sure that almost all have been done before. How does the pen feel with usage?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

DrD

Alchemist I can tell you that me, my wife and 2 of our grown children now use this style of pen for our everyday usage; they are so comfortable! Amazing the difference.

Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the question.

Top Bottom