New Casting Urethane Available for Pre-Order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow, I blink and several months have gone by. We've been crazy busy in the shop as we work to keep the new products in stock. Thank you for supporting our small business and helping us keep American made products like our pen kits alive!

As part of bringing back the M3 Material, and converting it to Urethane, we worked closely with Thermoset Solutions who developed 2 new resin products specifically for our needs. The first of those was a specialized resin for M3, but the 2nd one was similar to another urethane we used, with a few improvements. We asked them if we could get a few things:

1. Slightly longer open time
2. Better UV Resistance
3. Same hardness and price

They delivered... and in a big way. We've poured about 1,000lbs of this resin so far. In fact, if you've bought from us in the past several months you probably turned this resin. We like it so much we're going to do something I never thought we'd do... Sell casting resin to other makers.

Now through March 15th we'll be taking pre-orders for the CSD2078 casting resin. There will be a 5% discount on the preorders. It's not a huge discount, but we're already aggressively priced compared to the comparable product. This urethane is still a 1:1 by weight product, has full technical details available on our website, and has been THOROUGHLY tested by ourselves and others. We expect to ship the resin the week of the 17th.

Link here: https://www.mckenziepenworks.com/collections/thermoset-urethane-clear-casting-resin

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have! I've attached the datasheet to this post and it's on our website as well.

Attachments

• CSD2078 _TDS.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 52
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Ok thanks. I notice the specs mention heating the mold to 150F - is that just for speedier demold? You can demold in 2-4 hours at room temp?:

Also the specs mention de-airing the resin (I assume that means vacuum) before pouring into the mold. I only have a pressure pot. Do I also need a vacuum chamber?

Lastly, the resin requires 60PSI - that's quite a bit higher than the 40-45PSI I have been using with Clear Slow. Is the 60PSI a firm requirement?

For pen blanks etc there's no need to preheat the molds. That's really more for when you're looking for sharp edges and filling out details. No need to degas, it works fine with just pressure. 40psi is fine... No worries there.

Got a few questions so added this to the listing...

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Does it require a pressure pot? - Yes, like any urethane you'll want to use a pressure pot.

2. What's the shelf life? - 6 months, but will vary based on storage conditions

3. Do I have to vacuum degas? - No, you do not have to vacuum degas. We case our rods under 60psi of pressure with no prior degassing.

4. Do I have to preheat my molds? - No, for most applications there's no need. Pre-heating molds is primarily for designs where you want to ensure you get clean edges, it's not needed for blanks.

5. Does it smell? - Like most urethane resins, there is very little odor with this. Even if you can't smell it, all resins should be used in a well ventilated area for safety.

Here's a (fairly long) video of me demoing the resin. For this demo I poured at a very low temp of 86F, just to give you an idea how well the colors stay separated, even if you pour early and maximize your time. Not our usual method of pouring but was just playing around.

And the finished blanks from the pour
20240224_003443.jpg

Top Bottom