New Caster has a question!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made a few blanks and have used clear acrylic with a few drops of dye in it to change it to the color I want. I've been having problems making the blanks opaque. I can still see through them. I was wondering if I'm supposed to use a powder type dye to make it opaque, or just use more drops of dye. I used 20 drops of red dye in one blank and I can still see through it. Do they make acrylic that is in different colors other than clear? Maybe that's where I'm going wrong. I hope this makes sense. This is my first time on here, so I don't have all the pen-lingo down. lol Thank you :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
First... visit the library. You will find tons of info there.

To get opaque... start with Pearl-X. It's inexpensive and easily obtained.
Then you can try Coastalscents for additional colors.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Also be aware that there are opaque and translucent dyes. Translucent dyes won't
go opaque. Opaque dyes tend to have more solids in them.

jaeger

I picked up some opaque dyes at Hobby Lobby. They had both opaque and translucent varieties. I made mine quite a bit darker than I thought they looked while stirring and I could have gone darker still. The Hobby Lobby also had some Mother of Pearl-White pearlizing powder that seemed to work very well. I found that the colored powders that I tried added a lot of activity/ bubbles as it cured. Maybe I didn't mix it right, but the white pearl seemed to work nice for me. Very cool!!!
I think, if even one of the dyes is opaque you will be OK if you mix dark enough. They even had a white opaque that they claim give pastel effect.
Here is another tip if you only have yellow, blue and red.

Red + Blue = Violet
Blue + Yellow = Green
Red + Yellow = Orange
4 drops orange and 1 drop blue = Brown

Top Bottom