Need some help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

I've turned quite a few pens, but am frustrated by my latest effort. I turned a PSI Victorian kit tonight and can get the refill to extend, but can't get it to retract. First time I've had this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

John,

With some kits, especially from PSI, the exit hole for the refill is barely big enough ... given the fact that the kits are supplied with kinda "non standard but roughly Parker-sized" refills. . I don't know if you have upgraded your refill, and that might help. . But what I have done when I have identified the hole size as the problem is to "ream out" the hole with the next larger sized number drill bit ... can't remember the exact one, but it think it is around the #35 size ... I have a set of number drill bits and just select the right one by trial and error as the need arises. . Another "fix" is to gently sand down the circumference of the refill tip, but this is not really as good a "fix" because the score marks from sanding remain.

I do the reaming by hand with the drill bit in a spare chuck that I hold and gently do the hole enlargement . . Not much effort or time is required and I would recommend you do it by hand also, NOT with the drill under power. . Sometimes this can be done with just the unmounted drill bit ... you only have to remove the tiniest amount of metal and the pen tip is made of a soft metal like brass or another soft alloy.

If that does not fix your problem, then I really don't know what else to suggest.

More4dan

I've had the same problem with upgraded refills that have a sticker type label.

If not, another place to check is the tip of the pen. With the tip removed, make sure the refill move in and out smoothly. It could be a small burr you can ream out. Also, the spring could be causing it to bind, try reversing it. If this doesn't help refer to the previous post.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

greenacres2

Might want to take the refill out and take a quick look at the spring. One end of the spring should be SLIGHTLY larger in diameter than the other. The larger goes toward the nib, the smaller toward the cap. Hard for me to see the difference in size--so when i run into one like yours the first thing i do is just reverse the spring. Solves that problem most of the time--if not, i move on to the more difficult.
earl

TonyL

sometimes i find a small burr on the inside of the nib. i remove it with whatever i can that doesn't damage the inside of the part. i am assuming the barrel(s) are the correct length.

elkhorn

Everyone, thank you for your help.

Mal, I tried several different refills. Some would just fit, the Schmidt (my go to refill) wouldn't work at all.

Danny, the refill did not move smoothly. I reversed the spring and still no luck.

Earl, I reversed the spring and still no luck.

Tony, the nib tip was fine.

I ended up taking all of your suggestions, plus a call to Ed at Exotic Blanks, with respect to the coupler that the nib screwed onto. At Ed's suggestion, I took a chain saw file and gently twisted from the inside of the blank. A couple of tries and the refill went in and out smoothly and the pen now works! I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share their suggestions. It's members like all of you that make IAP a great forum. Thank you all again.

I'm attaching a photo of the completed pen that now works!! The blank is called Red Velvet.

Attachments

• Victorian Twist.jpg
    Victorian Twist.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 120

magpens

John, thank you for passing on the chain saw file trick. I did not know about that. . Seems that the Victorian kit has a rather narrow passage for the refill. . I have to go to the store this afternoon so will pick up such a file and be ready for the next time !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom