need ideas for desk pen stands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I plan to make two desk pen stands for full sized Gents from some very special wood as equally special thank you gifts.
Not being a clever guy in the design area, I would appreciate some ideas for these pen stands. There must be enough space somewhere for some laser engraving.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frank,

I'm sure you've considered most of the stuff we have seen in the past couple years.

I like a lot of the antler stands -- but what type of wood or what theme? Some hints of where you would like to head would help!!

Rifleman1776

Frank,

I'm sure you've considered most of the stuff we have seen in the past couple years.

I like a lot of the antler stands -- but what type of wood or what theme? Some hints of where you would like to head would help!!

Our son and daughter-in-law treated us to a Hawaiian vacation last week. While there I purchased some Koa wood. My plan is to make the desk pen sets from Koa. There should be room to have their names and a few other words laser engraved. I also purchased some small shells and picked up coral from the beaches. Right now I'm conflicted as to whether or not I should include those. I don't want to risk making it look cheap and touristy.

jyreene

This might be a long explanation because I'm at work and can't snap a photo of what I'm describing since it's at home. When in Japan I bought one of those samurai sword letter openers and it came with a stand that holds in upright. You could make something similar out of wood. Let me try and describe it (minus dimensions). The base is flat with one hole/groove towards the back that allows the stand portion to "snap" in (this one is plastic but I think it would make a nice stand if made of wood). The stand portion is a straight piece of wood with the piece at the top that is widened and indented to allow the sword to rest there. I've included a very very rough sketch from MS Paint to help with the visualization.

If you put a few of the shells on one side of each, say 3 or 4 small ones and made a small pile with them it would look nice and not touristy but if you covered it with shells and coral then I think it would be a bit much. Hope this helps, if you need me to take a picture of the letter opener stand and post it I will.

Attachments

• Pen holder design.JPG
    Pen holder design.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 467

Rifleman1776

This might be a long explanation because I'm at work and can't snap a photo of what I'm describing since it's at home. When in Japan I bought one of those samurai sword letter openers and it came with a stand that holds in upright. You could make something similar out of wood. Let me try and describe it (minus dimensions). The base is flat with one hole/groove towards the back that allows the stand portion to "snap" in (this one is plastic but I think it would make a nice stand if made of wood). The stand portion is a straight piece of wood with the piece at the top that is widened and indented to allow the sword to rest there. I've included a very very rough sketch from MS Paint to help with the visualization.

If you put a few of the shells on one side of each, say 3 or 4 small ones and made a small pile with them it would look nice and not touristy but if you covered it with shells and coral then I think it would be a bit much. Hope this helps, if you need me to take a picture of the letter opener stand and post it I will.

Thanks Ty, it will go into the line-up for consideration.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Frank,

Koa is SO pretty.

Shells are used in so much Florida junk, what about Lava rock to hold the pen? The National Geographic pics on TV show it as a very black rock, would offset the pens nicely and could be make to look like a "mountain" of sorts???

I'll keep thinking -

punkinn

I plan to make two desk pen stands for full sized Gents from some very special wood as equally special thank you gifts.
Not being a clever guy in the design area, I would appreciate some ideas for these pen stands. There must be enough space somewhere for some laser engraving.

Here are a few I've done in the past:

A lovely amboyna burl wedge with natural back section, sapwood and pair of Euros:
1_amb02.jpg
1_amb04.jpg

A natural-edge redwood burl wedge with AFB insert & Gent:
1_edwd12.jpg
1_edwd05.jpg

and a horseshoe-shaped piece with real horseshoe nails (for a horsewoman friend of mine) - this one out of redwood burl also with custom slimline:
1_rdwdhs10.jpg
1_rdwdhs07.jpg

Hope this helps you with ideas? Have fun with whatever you decide to do!

punkinn

Nice horse-shoe!

I think if you are engraving, then a pen stand like Nancy's burl block would be perfect

Thank you Jeff! :)

I get almost all my larger-than-pen-stock wood at Global Wood Source - Russ has always gone waaay out of his way to make sure I get exactly what I need at a great price (although just browsing the site you may think his prices are high - email him, he'll take care of you). That's where my amboyna slabs and redwood burl chunks have come from. He has absolutely beautiful woods. (no, I don't work for him and I'm not related to him - LOL) If you go to his site, check out the customer images - there is some amazing stuff in there (and I'm even included, although not particularly amazing like the guitars or that single slab walnut dining table).

Last edited:

GaryMadore

This might be a long explanation because I'm at work and can't snap a photo of what I'm describing since it's at home

Like this one? It's called a "katana kake" (sword stand) but Googling that on this side of the pond will likely only yield results for the common horizontal stand used to hold a pair of swords (daisho). You could try search terms like katana, kake, tachi, and vertical.

1_mountedgunto01.jpg

(one of my swords)

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3502/1_mountedgunto01.jpg

This is EXACTLY how I intend to display the Imperial pen I keep for myself and the other that I am giving away to a friend.

Cheers!

Gary

Last edited:

Jim Smith

I don't know where you are in this process, but you might consider getting some nice lava rock (either red or black) from Hawaii to make the pen stands. There's plenty of it available on ebay. The lava rock is fairly soft and porous so you should be able to work it enough to make a flat spot for it to stand and drill a hole for the pen to go into the stand. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Rifleman1776

I don't know where you are in this process, but you might consider getting some nice lava rock (either red or black) from Hawaii to make the pen stands. There's plenty of it available on ebay. The lava rock is fairly soft and porous so you should be able to work it enough to make a flat spot for it to stand and drill a hole for the pen to go into the stand. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Good thought. I'll thunk on it. Thanks.

beck3906

Hmmmmm.....

Lava rock...sharp edges....pen metal finishes and wood finishes.

Doesn't sound like the lava rock would be conducive to finishes. What is your thoughts to protect the pens form sharp edges?

Top Bottom