Need help with Bennett for ring making

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodguy95

Woodguy95

Hello everyone I have just got a contract with a local jewel maker to make Brentwood rings. Just a quick question for those of you that made Brentwood rings. Where do you get you veneers? It seems that I can only find paper backed veneers.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello everyone I have just got a contract with a local jewel maker to make Brentwood rings. Just a quick question for those of you that made Brentwood rings. Where do you get you veneers? It seems that I can only find paper backed veneers.

Can you explain what kind of veneers you are looking for. The word veneer has many meanings and as seen some colored veneers were shown. Not what you are looking for if i am correct. Also maybe a photo of a brentwood ring. Have no idea what that is.

Woodguy95

My stupid phone autocorrect I meant bentwood rings. I made this one out of paduk I did cut my own piece of veneer on the table saw but the thickness is not consistant enough and I cannot get it thin enough

Attachments

• IMG_9604.jpg
    IMG_9604.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_9603.jpg
    IMG_9603.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_9602.jpg
    IMG_9602.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 148

jttheclockman

Still not following. Is this a piece of flat stock that you thinned down and bent into a ring somehow?? Why not take a piece of wood and drill a hole the size you need and then turn down to whatever diameter you want??? I may not see the whole picture because i do not make rings.

Curly

John drilling a hole through solid wood and turning will give you a ring with short grain which for a ring is too week to survive daily wear. A ring made of veneer wrapped around is all long grain and therefore more likely to last. One other possible alternative would be to use a metal ring core like those sold by The Bangle Guy.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Look for Cabinet supply companies for common woods. They should carry edge banding in Maple, oak, Cherry, possibly other woods as well. You can get them with or without glue backing.

Woodguy95

I need some very thin veneer that doesn't have a backing. I simply cut a strip that is 1/2" wide and 12" long. Then I boil it bend it around a 3/4" rod and let it dry. Then i wrap it around a dowell and glue it to itself. Then I sand it on the lathe and finish it.

I don't know if all of that makes sense.... sorry I'm french so my English isn't perfect

Don Rabchenuk

I have seen some videos of people using a hand plane to make thin shavings from a longer board thus not having to boil and allow for drying time. Using shavings this way you can also make a ring with contrasting woods (maple and walnut) to add some visual appeal.

Top Bottom