Need aquarium help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

The Problem:
I have a 50 gallon aquarium that needs a 40 percent water change out (20 gallons). My fish do best in water that is 72-74 degrees. The "cold" water coming out of the tap is 86 degrees.

This change out needs to occur all at once. There is not room in all of the refrigerators for 20 gallons of water. I thought about using a large cooler with ice, but I'm not sure how to do this.

HELP, creative thinkers.... Or will have a tiny little fish fry tonight.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
What is the temp of the water in the 50 gallon aquariun, now?

(To calculate how to get the mix to 72, we need to know what the temp of the remaining 30 gals will be, please.)

PenMan1

Current aquarium temp is 74.8 degrees, a little hotter than I like, but in thus weather it is difficult to get it much lower.

I think the cooler idea may work. I have an ice maker that "adds no chlorine or chemicals", so in theory it would "declorinate" the same as tap water.

A formula to get all the water to 72 degrees would be GREAT!!!

ctubbs

You can use 'clean' ice to lower your refill water to the desired temp. Just be sure to equalize the temp of the refill water with the remaining water in the tank. If you are within 5 degrees + of 72 you should be alright as long as the water is added at a point not directly on the fish. In other words, pour the water onto a plate or something to deflect it from striking the fish directly causing shock and you should be OK. This has been my experience. As always, YMMV. Just try to use ice that has no Cl2 included when frozen. Chlorine is not good for fish or humans.
Charles

PenMan1

Charles:
That is my fear. I make my own ice in a commercial ice maker that has a cl2 filter. I'm still a little worried about Cl2. We are on a community well and sometimes even with a whole house filter and a Cystogenie filter on the ice maker, I get a big whiff of chlorine.

These little critters cost a fortune...and I fear they might be a little "boney" for eatin'.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Andy, you sparked a debate!!

The mathematician (me) was working on bringing the temp to 72.

The Fish-knowledge aquarium person (Dawn) is telling me I will kill the fish if I drop to 72 in one fell swoop.

So, what IS YOUR target temp for the 50 gals.

(Deferring to Dawn's fish knowledge, have you considered changing 10 gals per day, to keep a one degree drop each day??)

I can figure the temp for you, just want to know what the goal is, so I don't kill your minnows!!!

glycerine

My question is why are you changing out 40%? I always heard the "rule of thumb" was no more than 20% at a time... Is it necessary to do t all at once?
In either case, I would fill the cooler with the water, then fill some gallon zip lock bags with ice and put the bags in the water in the cooler. Then you don't have to worry about contaminants in the ice getting into the tank water...

PenMan1

Ed:
Thank Dawn for me! Changing out 3 gallons per day for the next 7 days IS doable and should work!!!! It is a 6 filter system, so doing this over time may be the better solution.

I, like you, was working the math! Numbers NEVER lie (but do sometimes get in the way of common sense).

Putting 3 gallons in the frig, drawing down one gallon at a time and replacing one gallon at a time SHOULDN'T stress the tank as much. Glad to know we have other fish lovers here!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Want a more permanent solution?

I have a good friend who has gone way overboard on salt water tanks. He has a system where the water is pumped continuously OUT of his 100 gal tank and into a 25 gal tank, where there are filters and all kinds of other stuff to clean the water.

IF you make a system like that, you could add ice to the lower tank and watch your temp guage in the upper. Never lower more than a degree in any 8 hour time span, but do it whenever necessary and there is no mess.

Dawn thinks you could also put a bottle of frozen water (not full, so it will definitely float) into your main tank and accomplish the same thing. Her theory is that the fish will not get too close to the bottle--they will find the temp they like and stay there.

(That is MY understanding of what she said--if she comes in later and says I have no idea what I am talking about, that is, of course, true---as I want to continue to sleep in the airconditioned bedroom---thanks!!)

IPD_Mrs

I just did all the math and wrote a nice long note about the recommended change of a 50 gal tank (we used to have several with both fresh and salt water).

The recommended change for that size tank is 10 - 20% two times a week under generally normal circumstances. Since you can change it more slowly than you were mentioning I would do so and in accordance with what works best for your fishies :)

If you had needed to do it all at once I believe you would have had to chill your water to around 67-68 degrees in order to get in the acceptable range you mentioned.

No fryed fish for you tonight ... but no frozen ones either...:wink:

Linda

PenMan1

My question is why are you changing out 40%? I always heard the "rule of thumb" was no more than 20% at a time... Is it necessary to do t all at once?
In either case, I would fill the cooler with the water, then fill some gallon zip lock bags with ice and put the bags in the water in the cooler. Then you don't have to worry about contaminants in the ice getting into the tank water...

A combination of reasons. 1. An unnoticed broken filter (that also started algae build up). 2. Extreme heat raising the tank temps 3. Trying to reduce disease that come with ammonia/algae build up.

40 percent is the "extreme" change out. AND FWIW, under gravel filters and bubblers "ain't all that"!

Toni

When I started reading this thread those were my thoughts exactly, doing over a period of time will give the fish less shock.

AND FWIW, under gravel filters and bubblers "ain't all that"!

Sounds like a great idea but they dont work!

Last edited:

PenMan1

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I have formulated a plan. First, I like Dawns frozen floating water bottle. This immediately remedies the heat issue.

Thanks Charles, Jeremy and Linda for calming me down to understand that I can accomplish the same thing over days, NOT hours. I read once that one of the leading causes of premature death in humans was the over reactions of zealous "helpers".
My fishes thank you for saving them from me:)

Last edited:

PenMan1

AND, Toni..... I wish I had known you when that "fishy" salesman was convincing me that "under gravel filtration" would fix everything "up to and including" teen acne.

I think you are exactly right! Under gravel is a brilliant idea! Too bad it doesn't work!

Thanks again all. Ed! Try not to snore in the cool, AC bedroom:)

IPD_Mrs

No problem. What kind of fish do you have - you were saying they cost you a mint...

Oh .. and if you make your own ice blocks you can float those without plastic bottles - if they match the same water properties they will simply melt into the water, cooling and replacing a small amount at the same time. This would prevent any "ickies" from the plastic getting into the water. I remember reading somewhere one time about using an "ice block" in the tank and it being just a plain block.

Linda

JRay8

do one of two things. 1. change only 20%. or 2. change the 40% and dont worry about it. i have been keeping fish for almost 20 years and have never had an aquarium so delicate that a little temp change would do any harm.
the water temp will not change as much as you think. the 60% you dont change, the gravel, glass, rocks, ornaments, etc... will all retain their temp making it harder for the temp to rise too much.
i cant remember the last time i lost a fish to something other than old age or jumping out of the tank. i keep marine fish and corals now and i wouldnt worry about it so just go for it!

Top Bottom