Small town advantages for sure

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I am now semi-retired and a self employed pen making woodworker of sorts. I live in a small town currently. I was born in Indianapolis. I like the larger towns like Indy, Louisville, and Cincinnati and so forth. For no other reason but to have more things to do. But small towns do have their advantages at times as I am about to tell! I have been slowly trying to grow my business in pen making. This past fall was my first foray into the world of juried arts and crafts shows. I didn't really know what to expect. Didn't know what to do. But we did fairly well. (A lot better than the "retail job" that I had left behind.) The past couple of weeks has been a little crazy and busy for me and my wife. Besides being a juried art show, a couple of Farmer's Markets, a Family Reunion and adoption process for my daughter and son-in-law I went to a professional photography friend of mine and she took two pictures of every pen I had made until this point, and hadn't sold. Well over 800 pictures were taken in a 5 plus hour day. Now all are now on the computer and on a single disk. Just an outstanding job by her. She brought out the shine on the CA finish that my camera never could see! PhotoShop is next to add pen names and types etc....

Some of you don't like Farmer's Markets, I can see your point. But ours here in Columbus is sort of a Arts/Crafts AND Veggies Market. Two weeks ago I was approached by a gal who saw my pens, from a local Re/Max Reality office and she fell in love with my pens and now has purchased 3 of the most expensive pens that I sell. But here 's the kicker so to speak; she called someone while at that day's market and within about an hour a person claiming to be from the local newspaper showed up and approached my "tent" and started asking questions. She had a camera person in tow taking pictures. She asked us if she come and do a "human interest story" on me and my pen making…At my work shop. I really thought someone was pulling my leg. Was it still April Fools' Day or something? At the time I said "okay". I was busy and gave both the camera holder guy and the gal who asked the questions a card and continued helping the customer I had buying a pen. Didn't know what to think... Sort of a dizzy dreamy feeling at the time I guess. The customer I had did know the gal doing the talking and did say she was actually from the paper. I'm still stunned. Well a week passes and the gal from the newspaper calls, asking me when she can come on over to the shop. Mind you I have a very small shop, half of which in what what my wife and I call a Breezeway. A 12x14 multi-purpose room that includes a 800 pound pot belly stove, some cabinets and cook top....a small pen work bench , drill press, pen blank storage cabinet and my Jet 1236 lathe. VERY tight quarters. A band saw, 3x7 work bench, table saw, large sander and other tools are in my 20x20 garage. (Outside dimensions) Tight there as well! (DON'T even ask to park in the garage!) Still thinking all this time; Is this real? Well they showed up on the minute at 10:30am this past Thursday. We got fairly involved talking and showing. I put a 7mm slim set on the lathe and proceeded to turn it, sand and finish then snapped it together. Then for an encore I quickly turned a bracelet helper, finished and put it together. The photographer had to take hundreds of pictures from every conceivable angle. The gal was talking, asking and taking notes all the while. They were at the shop for right at 2-1/2 hours before they left. She wanted to get it in the computer at work and work on the story. She is on vacation this week. She told me it will be in a Sunday paper in about two to three weeks. I'm still thinking that I am somewhere inside a dream....

(I'm also thinking FREE advertisement now! :biggrin:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Man, that's great. You could be getting many phone calls after is is published and a big increase in sales. Congratulations.

That's what my wife is hoping for! Up until now it has been, well sort of an expensive hobby...as you probably know.

kevrob

That is awesome. I would be interested in hearing how your sales increase after the story appears in the paper. Congratulations!

Longfellow

I have had articles about me published in two local newspapers and one national craft magazine. The response was underwhelming. Did get one marriage proposal from the magazine article, but I am married and the woman was Butt ugly. Hope you have more success than I did.

IPD_Mr

Randy Columbus is not that small, sure it is not a metropolis. At least you don't have to drive two towns over for groceries. :biggrin:

Here is some food for thought for you. Run over to Nashville, there are several shops that specialize in local artist consignments. I think you will do real good with something like that. Get in there now so that you have a presence in a shop or two before the fall rush.

If you wait for the paper article comes out take a few with you so that the shop owners can see and even maybe frame the article next to your work that they offer.

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the coments made.
Great idea Mike (Indy Pen Dance) Thanks!
Better luck next time for you Ken (Longfellow)!
Randy

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I hit it big time....Maybe!

Well the article has hit the newstands! Here's the website:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/local_story/Craftsman_puts_perfection_in_c_1312085188/

It starts a bit funny something about me a turning a piece of Horn and how it smells like a wet dog. Unfortunately one cannot view the whole article unless they are a subscriber of the paper, I think. Anyway it is a whole page including pictures in what we call the "Lifestiles Section" of the paper. We will see how far this "bit" of free advertisement goes.

Already, and do in part to this article, I will be in the local Columbus Visitors Center very soon with a starter set (for them) of 15 pens!
Thanx for you coments
Randy
--------------------------------------------------------------

I am now semi-retired and a self employed pen making woodworker of sorts. I live in a small town currently. I was born in Indianapolis. I like the larger towns like Indy, Louisville, and Cincinnati and so forth. For no other reason but to have more things to do. But small towns do have their advantages at times as I am about to tell! I have been slowly trying to grow my business in pen making. This past fall was my first foray into the world of juried arts and crafts shows. I didn't really know what to expect. Didn't know what to do. But we did fairly well. (A lot better than the "retail job" that I had left behind.) The past couple of weeks has been a little crazy and busy for me and my wife. Besides being a juried art show, a couple of Farmer's Markets, a Family Reunion and adoption process for my daughter and son-in-law I went to a professional photography friend of mine and she took two pictures of every pen I had made until this point, and hadn't sold. Well over 800 pictures were taken in a 5 plus hour day. Now all are now on the computer and on a single disk. Just an outstanding job by her. She brought out the shine on the CA finish that my camera never could see! PhotoShop is next to add pen names and types etc....

Some of you don't like Farmer's Markets, I can see your point. But ours here in Columbus is sort of a Arts/Crafts AND Veggies Market. Two weeks ago I was approached by a gal who saw my pens, from a local Re/Max Reality office and she fell in love with my pens and now has purchased 3 of the most expensive pens that I sell. But here 's the kicker so to speak; she called someone while at that day's market and within about an hour a person claiming to be from the local newspaper showed up and approached my "tent" and started asking questions. She had a camera person in tow taking pictures. She asked us if she come and do a "human interest story" on me and my pen making…At my work shop. I really thought someone was pulling my leg. Was it still April Fools' Day or something? At the time I said "okay". I was busy and gave both the camera holder guy and the gal who asked the questions a card and continued helping the customer I had buying a pen. Didn't know what to think... Sort of a dizzy dreamy feeling at the time I guess. The customer I had did know the gal doing the talking and did say she was actually from the paper. I'm still stunned. Well a week passes and the gal from the newspaper calls, asking me when she can come on over to the shop. Mind you I have a very small shop, half of which in what what my wife and I call a Breezeway. A 12x14 multi-purpose room that includes a 800 pound pot belly stove, some cabinets and cook top....a small pen work bench , drill press, pen blank storage cabinet and my Jet 1236 lathe. VERY tight quarters. A band saw, 3x7 work bench, table saw, large sander and other tools are in my 20x20 garage. (Outside dimensions) Tight there as well! (DON'T even ask to park in the garage!) Still thinking all this time; Is this real? Well they showed up on the minute at 10:30am this past Thursday. We got fairly involved talking and showing. I put a 7mm slim set on the lathe and proceeded to turn it, sand and finish then snapped it together. Then for an encore I quickly turned a bracelet helper, finished and put it together. The photographer had to take hundreds of pictures from every conceivable angle. The gal was talking, asking and taking notes all the while. They were at the shop for right at 2-1/2 hours before they left. She wanted to get it in the computer at work and work on the story. She is on vacation this week. She told me it will be in a Sunday paper in about two to three weeks. I'm still thinking that I am somewhere inside a dream....

(I'm also thinking FREE advertisement now! :biggrin:)

Top Bottom