Need advice!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pollock29

I am considering purchasing the Grizzly G1028Z2 1-1/2 HP Dust Collector system for my workshop. I currently run a lathe, bandsaw, tables, router and planer, but of course, not all at same time.
My question is: this system runs on 115V and has a 1 1/2 HP motor delivering 1300 CFM. Is this overkill? Do I need this much CFM? The distance from my farthest tool would be less than 20'.
Also, will this run with 1 additional tool on a 15 amp circuit? Maybe I need to scale down?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

I saw go big, because you know you're always going to add more. Don't lie to yourself and think you're not going to lol.

JimB

I have a 1 HP Delta, 650 cfm That I use for my lathe, DP, bandsaw and a couple small sanders in a 10'x17' shop. I only run one tool at a time. I consider my DC to be bare minimum and if it ever breaks i will purchase something with more HP and CFM. You also need to look at the micron rating. The one you mention is only 2.5 micron. To me that is too high. My Delta is rated at 1 micron. I would not buy anything higher than that. BTW, really good good dust collectors have Hepa filter at 0.3 micron.

that DC is rated at 12 amps. I think running any other tools with that is going to be a problem. My 1 HP is on a 20 amp circuit and I know I have strained that with other tools on the same circuit and therefore i made some changes so it is on a circuit that doesn't run any larger tools.

Reactions: Rob

Curly

Can you get to 220V power somehow? A clothes dryer in the next room? I used to unplug and plug in a table saw from one in a rental.

If your goal is to collect the visible dust that falls to the floor quickly then that DC would probably do, as long as you know you must wear a dust mask while you are in the shop, both during and for hours after you stop making dust. The reason being the most harmful dust to you is not visible and hangs in the air for many hours. Also because as already mentioned, the 2.5 micron bag is not good enough to trap the fine dust. The invisible dust is under 10 micron and the finer the dust, the deeper into your lungs it goes. So aim for a 2 hp with cartridge as a minimum. If you are going to slap in a add on cyclone to keep the filters clean then 3 HP with a 13"+ impeller is minimum. Cyclones have resistance/drag to the airflow so you need to overcome that with bigger DC's.

DC CFM claims are usually about 2 times what they will actually deliver in the real world. They test them with no ducting or bags attached and in the centre of the airstream where it is the highest. Ideally you want 1,000 CFM at the tool

4" pipe only flows about 450 cfm at the most, usually less and flex hose even less. 6" flows 1250 cfm at its best. You need that extra flow to capture the fine dust. A 1 1/2 hp DC isn't powerful enough to use 6". Flex hose has 2 to 3 times the flow resistance that a smooth pipe does. So 20' of hose is equal to 40' to 60' of duct.

Bill Pentz has an in depth site on dust collection that is very informative. It is long and he repeats himself but that is to inform people that cherry pick certain subjects. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

The best forum on dust collection is Australian and well worth reading too. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200

Pete

Pollock29

I have a 1 HP Delta, 650 cfm That I use for my lathe, DP, bandsaw and a couple small sanders in a 10'x17' shop. I only run one tool at a time. I consider my DC to be bare minimum and if it ever breaks i will purchase something with more HP and CFM. You also need to look at the micron rating. The one you mention is only 2.5 micron. To me that is too high. My Delta is rated at 1 micron. I would not buy anything higher than that. BTW, really good good dust collectors have Hepa filter at 0.3 micron.

that DC is rated at 12 amps. I think running any other tools with that is going to be a problem. My 1 HP is on a 20 amp circuit and I know I have strained that with other tools on the same circuit and therefore i made some changes so it is on a circuit that doesn't run any larger tools.
Thanks for this information. Yes, I will be running 1 other tool with it, mostly a 2HP lathe. I should put it on its own circuit, I guess.

Pollock29

That will be tight. A 1.5hP 120v motor will draw something around 12-13 a continuously and should normally be on a dedicated 20a circuit.
Yes, mostly a 2 HP lathe. I checked the rating and it was at 13, according to the manual. The lathe states the same. Better with o a dedicated circuit! Thanks!

Pollock29

Can you get to 220V power somehow? A clothes dryer in the next room? I used to unplug and plug in a table saw from one in a rental.

If your goal is to collect the visible dust that falls to the floor quickly then that DC would probably do, as long as you know you must wear a dust mask while you are in the shop, both during and for hours after you stop making dust. The reason being the most harmful dust to you is not visible and hangs in the air for many hours. Also because as already mentioned, the 2.5 micron bag is not good enough to trap the fine dust. The invisible dust is under 10 micron and the finer the dust, the deeper into your lungs it goes. So aim for a 2 hp with cartridge as a minimum. If you are going to slap in a add on cyclone to keep the filters clean then 3 HP with a 13"+ impeller is minimum. Cyclones have resistance/drag to the airflow so you need to overcome that with bigger DC's.

DC CFM claims are usually about 2 times what they will actually deliver in the real world. They test them with no ducting or bags attached and in the centre of the airstream where it is the highest. Ideally you want 1,000 CFM at the tool

4" pipe only flows about 450 cfm at the most, usually less and flex hose even less. 6" flows 1250 cfm at its best. You need that extra flow to capture the fine dust. A 1 1/2 hp DC isn't powerful enough to use 6". Flex hose has 2 to 3 times the flow resistance that a smooth pipe does. So 20' of hose is equal to 40' to 60' of duct.

Bill Pentz has an in depth site on dust collection that is very informative. It is long and he repeats himself but that is to inform people that cherry pick certain subjects. http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

The best forum on dust collection is Australian and well worth reading too. https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200

Pete
This has been MOST helpful! I understand every point you made. I think I need to rework my plans for remodel of my shop. And yes, I can access 220! Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Top Bottom