Need a lathe stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I found this to be great, cheap, and a place for tools, I have a 1012 on it but a piece of plywood might do it . look online this was a close out I watched for months. They wanted $70.00 for it but 2 months later I got it for $25.00 and 10% off since my wife worked there. So I bought two and put my grinder on one also. Should have bought three😀View attachment 359471
PSI had a stand (framework) with no top or middle shelf. Not sure if they still have them but they are accommodating.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I modified the old stand from my HF lathe. Just had to shorten it and bolt the two parts together. I used a piece of countertop for the top. Added a shelf for the Rikon grinder. BTW, any countertop place will have scraps. I have made tables for the DP and bandsaw, Kreg router table.
Edit: check for Corian or other synthetic material scraps.

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Here's a stand one of our members built.

monophoto

I used the base from an old gas grill. The top is made from 2x6 construction pine - trimmed to produce square corners, and then edge-glued to form a solid piece. When I upgraded to a new lathe, I found that the space between the bottom of the bedways and the top of the base was too small to be conveniently be able to keep that area clean of dust and shavings, so I added two scraps of 2x4 pine at 90deg to the 2x6 under the headstock and tailstock feet - that elevated the lathe a further 1.5 inches and provided the desired additional clearance.

bugradx2

I modified the old stand from my HF lathe. Just had to shorten it and bolt the two parts together. I used a piece of countertop for the top. Added a shelf for the Rikon grinder. BTW, any countertop place will have scraps. I have made tables for the DP and bandsaw, Kreg router table.
Edit: check for Corian or other synthetic material scraps.
I have a chunk of countertop that's been begging for a new life.....

bugradx2

I used the base from an old gas grill. The top is made from 2x6 construction pine - trimmed to produce square corners, and then edge-glued to form a solid piece. When I upgraded to a new lathe, I found that the space between the bottom of the bedways and the top of the base was too small to be conveniently be able to keep that area clean of dust and shavings, so I added two scraps of 2x4 pine at 90deg to the 2x6 under the headstock and tailstock feet - that elevated the lathe a further 1.5 inches and provided the desired additional clearance.
Thanks, I've seen a few instances where people have used grill frames for benches and worktables. I've been considering that as well.

Woodchipper

Along the lines of the thread, I used an old BBQ grill stand for my chop saw. Scrap plywood of the right size was the top. Added a shelf for it, too.

WriteON

I recently purchased a used but in great shape Jet Midi lathe model JWL-1220-vs. Jet no longer makes a lathe stand for this and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I might be able to get a stand without making it myself, been there done that, or costing a bunch of money. Thanks in advance for any help.
Amazon... something like this?

Attachments

• Image 4-26-24 at 10.05 PM.jpeg
    Image 4-26-24 at 10.05 PM.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Top Bottom