Need a lathe stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I recently purchased a used but in great shape Jet Midi lathe model JWL-1220-vs. Jet no longer makes a lathe stand for this and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I might be able to get a stand without making it myself, been there done that, or costing a bunch of money. Thanks in advance for any help.

wouldentu2?

I found this to be great, cheap, and a place for tools, I have a 1012 on it but a piece of plywood might do it . look online this was a close out I watched for months. They wanted $70.00 for it but 2 months later I got it for $25.00 and 10% off since my wife worked there. So I bought two and put my grinder on one also. Should have bought three😀
Screenshot_20230423-090615.png

bugradx2

I found this to be great, cheap, and a place for tools, I have a 1012 on it but a piece of plywood might do it . look online this was a close out I watched for months. They wanted $70.00 for it but 2 months later I got it for $25.00 and 10% off since my wife worked there. So I bought two and put my grinder on one also. Should have bought three😀

Where did you buy the stands? I like the idea of all the dog holes for tools

BULLWINKLE

I use a metal aquarium stand I found in a flea market. $20 to which I added a 3/4" piece of plywood for the top. Does the job. Haven't had the need but you can use a second piece of plywood on the bottom to add sandbags or other heavy objects to stabilize it more.

Muddydogs

I got this, WEN LA8800 225-Pound Capacity Height Adjustable Steel Lathe Stand https://a.co/d/jdxSzVC. It does all right with my 12" x 20" Grizzly on it. I put locking casters under it to start out but once I started to turn bigger stuff the slop in the casters was an issue so I went back to the feet it came with. I've added a 2x4 under the lathe above the cross bar that's cut on an angle where I attached pvc pipe tool holders and a shelf for MT2 accessories.

Attachments

• PXL_20230821_214311700.jpg
    PXL_20230821_214311700.jpg
    426.8 KB · Views: 117
I got this, WEN LA8800 225-Pound Capacity Height Adjustable Steel Lathe Stand https://a.co/d/jdxSzVC. It does all right with my 12" x 20" Grizzly on it. I put locking casters under it to start out but once I started to turn bigger stuff the slop in the casters was an issue so I went back to the feet it came with. I've added a 2x4 under the lathe above the cross bar that's cut on an angle where I attached pvc pipe tool holders and a shelf for MT2 accessories.
Sweet, you might have filled the bill.

PreacherJon

I recently purchased a used but in great shape Jet Midi lathe model JWL-1220-vs. Jet no longer makes a lathe stand for this and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of where I might be able to get a stand without making it myself, been there done that, or costing a bunch of money. Thanks in advance for any help.
I highly suggest you build as big of a work table as possible to put it on. I've had this one for over 15 years... and because it is so heavy I can put a really big hunk of wood on it without worrying about the wobble. I've got all kinds of room to put the tools I'm using on a project there on the table. Also... plan the height out ahead of time. For me... the most comfortable turning position is where my elbow bends at 90 degrees between centers.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 85
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

KMCloonan

I have this same stand, but mine is from Grizzly. It's very sturdy, very heavy.

KMCloonan

The Grizzly stand sure looks the same in the pics but Grizzly wants $130 more for it. $230 vs $100.
Agreed, Not sure why Grizzly's is so pricey (I wish I had known about the Wen when I was buying years ago. . This stand design (wen or grizzly) can accommodate any midi-lathe (Rikon, Nova, others). I also have the leg extension (my former lathe had a bed extension) - I have built a small workbench onto the extension. I also added casters, mostly because I have a very small shop and need to wheel things around to get to other things. I can lock the casters if I need to, but generally, the combined weight of my lathe and the solid steel stand is enough to provide stability.

monophoto

My lathe stand was made by edge-gluing some 2x6 construction pine to make a top that I added to the base of an old gas grill. Over the years, I made a number of appendages that serve as tool racks that attach to the outside of the top. It's not pretty, but it works.

Several years ago, I saw a bowlturner at a craft fair who was doing demonstrations using a Delta 46-460. He used an old Black and Decker workmate as a stand.

bugradx2

Agreed, Not sure why Grizzly's is so pricey (I wish I had known about the Wen when I was buying years ago. . This stand design (wen or grizzly) can accommodate any midi-lathe (Rikon, Nova, others). I also have the leg extension (my former lathe had a bed extension) - I have built a small workbench onto the extension. I also added casters, mostly because I have a very small shop and need to wheel things around to get to other things. I can lock the casters if I need to, but generally, the combined weight of my lathe and the solid steel stand is enough to provide stability.
Holy smokes! Here I was following this discussion because I need to buy/build something for my lathe because I'm tired of lifting it from a countertop over to my workbench and back all the time.

You and Muddydogs may have just given me the solution for what I'd like to do.

bugradx2

How did you attach the tool rack to the lathe stand? I'm really interested in this stand if it's universal. I have an Excelsior (Rockler) lathe and if this stand will fit anything in the category then I can just reuse it if/when I upgrade.

My shop is pretty much a postage stamp and I need tools to be mobile. I already store a couple outside the door and am not sure how long I'll continue to get away with that

jrista

I've used lathe stands before, and even for smaller lathes like that, they can be pretty rickety. I spent $170 on a lathe stand for a Nova roughly the same size as your Jet. Never liked it.

When I replaced the Nova with a Wen about the same size, I picked up a nice workbench from Harbour Freight for $120, and its a VASTLY superior place for working with such a lathe, IMO. It also has four drawers, as well as a shelf underneath, a wood vise on the side, and dogholes. Its long enough to hold the lathe, and s till have another foot+ on one end or the other for additional stuff (in my case, some sandpaper storage drawer things I picked up from WoodCraft.

Muddydogs

How did you attach the tool rack to the lathe stand? I'm really interested in this stand if it's universal. I have an Excelsior (Rockler) lathe and if this stand will fit anything in the category then I can just reuse it if/when I upgrade.

My shop is pretty much a postage stamp and I need tools to be mobile. I already store a couple outside the door and am not sure how long I'll continue to get away with that
I just bolted the 2x4 to the stand using an unused height adjustment hole on each side of the stands upright. Each upright has 6 ish holes for height adjustment.

Last edited:

Muddydogs

So do your casters wobble? I put locking casters on mine but even when locked they have some slop add that slop to the little wiggle in the stand and turning larger out of balance pieces really had the lathe rocking. I removed the casters and went back to the feet for a more stable base. Not being able to roll the lathe around makes life complicated in my 10x20 shop. I'm thinking about adding lifting casters so I can move it when needed but set it on it's feet while turning.

KMCloonan

So do your casters wobble? I put locking casters on mine but even when locked they have some slop add that slop to the little wiggle in the stand and turning larger out of balance pieces really had the lathe rocking. I removed the casters and went back to the feet for a more stable base. Not being able to roll the lathe around makes life complicated in my 10x20 shop. I'm thinking about adding lifting casters so I can move it when needed but set it on it's feet while turning.
I bought some higher-end casters from Caster City (https://www.castercity.com/stemcaster-model-k3a-total-locking/). Their customer service is excellent. My casters have polyurethane wheels, and roll very smoothly. There's no slop in the casters that would translate to vibration or wiggle of the overall lathe/stand. I am very happy with them.

bugradx2

I've used lathe stands before, and even for smaller lathes like that, they can be pretty rickety. I spent $170 on a lathe stand for a Nova roughly the same size as your Jet. Never liked it.

When I replaced the Nova with a Wen about the same size, I picked up a nice workbench from Harbour Freight for $120, and its a VASTLY superior place for working with such a lathe, IMO. It also has four drawers, as well as a shelf underneath, a wood vise on the side, and dogholes. Its long enough to hold the lathe, and s till have another foot+ on one end or the other for additional stuff (in my case, some sandpaper storage drawer things I picked up from WoodCraft.
Ok - you opened the conversation - gotta see a picture now.

can you tell I need ideas?

Mike

My jet 1014 lathe with bed extension is mounted on a heavy duty chop saw stand I bought around 20 years ago. No wheels, so it has to be scooted around. I found that if you need to easily move a tool and it needs to be stable when not being rolled you put heavy duty wheels on one end and hd feet/risers on the other. Wheels on the heavy end. Not as maneuverable as 4 casters, but pretty stable when parked.

Mike

My 14" planer came with no casters. So I got casters for it so I could move it around as needed. But..it became difficult to use as it moved around too much so I got some 2x4's and made saddles for the casters, problem solved. It works great now but man is it loud.

Mike

I have a Delta planer, 12 or 13", not sure. It is really loud, I wear my shooting ear muffs. If you use rigid casters on one end and feet on the other, it will be pretty stable. I have a few power tools set up like that. On 2 of them the rigid casters are welded on.

Mike

I have a Delta planer, 12 or 13", not sure. It is really loud, I wear my shooting ear muffs. If you use rigid casters on one end and feet on the other, it will be pretty stable. I have a few power tools set up like that. On 2 of them the rigid casters are welded on.

Mike
Agree on shooting muffs. I also use foam ear plus too, the same as when I shoot. Big help for the noise level.

Bryguy

I did exactly the same thing with my Nova. I drilled and bolted the lathe to the HF bench and I can do small of center turnings with out any vibration problems. there is still room for my Beall Pen wizard.

moke

Wolf Knives--I have a 16"Jet planer and it is huge and heavy, like 600 lbs.....a 14" has to be close to that....you must be a better man than I!!! I would like to have some casters like 6" or larger on it, but the existing extrusion it is on will not allow for that. I currently have the HF interlocking mats on the floor for leg and back relief. I have to currently pick those up to move it.
Also-being former LEO, I spent a lot of time at the range and have couple pairs of wolf ears (not a pun...really!) -(I guess I should tell folks not familar ewith WOlf Ears, they filter things above a certain Db, but you can hear anything readily below that threshold) and I use them. They are awesome, allowing me to hear the TV or stereo, and unfortunately the SWMBO yelling at me on the intercom....Anybody else use anything like that?

jrista

Ok - you opened the conversation - gotta see a picture now.

can you tell I need ideas?
Sorry for not posting before... Had a couple of dry days and had to finish staining my deck (and good thing I did, as the rain has returned.)

So, here is my setup (one side of my third car slot in my garage, the pen production line:

IMG_20230903_155056.jpg

IMG_20230903_155115.jpg

IMG_20230903_155126.jpg

I have two of those workbenches side-by-side here. One was a little cheaper than the other, just timing (the one I bought more recently was of course more expensive). At the end of these two workbenches, I have a piece of pegboard set up against (and tied to) as simple cheap stepladder. Pretty much everything I need for making pens is at my fingertips here. The two benches were maybe $300 total together with tax, and just bought locally at Harbor Freight. The rickety stand I bought for my original Nova was $165 plus the tax and shipping. I'll take these benches any day over the stand.

bugradx2

Sorry for not posting before... Had a couple of dry days and had to finish staining my deck (and good thing I did, as the rain has returned.)

So, here is my setup (one side of my third car slot in my garage, the pen production line:

I have two of those workbenches side-by-side here. One was a little cheaper than the other, just timing (the one I bought more recently was of course more expensive). At the end of these two workbenches, I have a piece of pegboard set up against (and tied to) as simple cheap stepladder. Pretty much everything I need for making pens is at my fingertips here. The two benches were maybe $300 total together with tax, and just bought locally at Harbor Freight. The rickety stand I bought for my original Nova was $165 plus the tax and shipping. I'll take these benches any day over the stand.

I am dutifully impressed! Very nice setup and layout.

A couple questions for you. How do you like your dust collection system behind the lathe? I need to do something to get something in place for mine for sanity if nothing else. How do you like your lathe? I've eyed that model from Wen a couple times. I'm currently using a Rockler Excelsior lathe that I got brand new for a song. Nothing wrong with it at all except I would really, really like the ability to change speeds with a dial and not move the belts around

dogcatcher

I use a desk, just a big old wood desk. Solid as a rock, my lathe is bolted down in the middle and cheap drill press is mounted to a piece of plywood on one end. The othe end is my assembly area. I sit on a modified bar stool so that I am high enough. But also have an office chair to use.

Wolf Knives--I have a 16"Jet planer and it is huge and heavy, like 600 lbs.....a 14" has to be close to that....you must be a better man than I!!! I would like to have some casters like 6" or larger on it, but the existing extrusion it is on will not allow for that. I currently have the HF interlocking mats on the floor for leg and back relief. I have to currently pick those up to move it.
Also-being former LEO, I spent a lot of time at the range and have couple pairs of wolf ears (not a pun...really!) -(I guess I should tell folks not familar ewith WOlf Ears, they filter things above a certain Db, but you can hear anything readily below that threshold) and I use them. They are awesome, allowing me to hear the TV or stereo, and unfortunately the SWMBO yelling at me on the intercom....Anybody else use anything like that?
Yea, my planer is pretty heavy. But, I'm just dumb enough to lift by the front and then the back roller. I figure some day I'll need help with it and so I'll ask my son in law to give me a hand.
I actually have 2 sets of Wolf ears but since I stopped shooting competition big bore I rarely use them. The range I used to compete at enclosed all the shooting lanes which really jacked up the Db's a bunch so I did wear foam ear plugs while I was on the firing line. I still use both when I use either the 14" or 10" planers.

jrista

I am dutifully impressed! Very nice setup and layout.

A couple questions for you. How do you like your dust collection system behind the lathe? I need to do something to get something in place for mine for sanity if nothing else. How do you like your lathe? I've eyed that model from Wen a couple times. I'm currently using a Rockler Excelsior lathe that I got brand new for a song. Nothing wrong with it at all except I would really, really like the ability to change speeds with a dial and not move the belts around
Thanks! It works. I'm always optimizing though, so it changes every month or so, gets a bit better here, or there. You should have seen my shop when I first set it up. It was a disaster!

I have a Fein shop vac, which was about $400 (I think I got it on sale, so, less but I forget how much), which works really well. I got the Fein, as it is quiet (relatively speaking). I originally started with a ShopVac brand shop vac, and it was real loud, made a lot of weird noises, drove me crazy. But the ShopVac was maybe $170, IIRC. I still have that, and use it to clean up the shop, but the Fein sits in a corner and is basically just part of a simple DC system. I use a Fein vac bag in it. I also have a simple vortex+bucket system. That was maybe $100 or a bit more. This separates a good deal of the dust and most of the chips. I rarely have to empty the bag in the vac, but the bucket under the vortex, depending on how much I turn, every month or so. I'll get a photo of that, so you can see it better. From the vortex I have all 4" ducting to the various inlets. I have some additional spare ducting, as well as a variety of adapters, that allow me to use the ShopVac to connect to other machines as well (i.e. bandsaw, tablesaw, etc.) when needed.

This works ok to collect dust. Its a great way to start, and certainly cost effective. That said, such a system has a high static pressure but relatively low airflow. This is ok for pens, but when I turn larger items its not really enough. For pens, it could be better, but its ok for most of what I've been doing so far. In the long run here, I will be putting in a proper dust collection (DC) system, provably a ClearVue 1700, with proper ducting (have not yet figured out how to run the ducting...its going to be an interesting task, that, for sure. This system will actually collect and filter ALL the dust. For me, this may be more important than others, as I have some pretty severe allergies. Just want to be honest though, that a shop vac can get some of the job of dust collection done, but its not perfect. A shop vac is a great way to start though, without having to spend a lot of money. If you want a clean shop that is safer for your health, and you really get into this hobby, then you'll want to eventually look into a proper DC like the ClearVue, Oneida, etc. I would only bother with that, though, if you really get into it, and get into higher volume!

The Wen lathe is a good little workhorse lathe. Its been excellent for...well, since December 2020 when I got it. I seem to have damaged the spindle in the headstock, so its actually a bit out of commission here until I can get that replaced. Outside of that, the lathe works great for penmaking and other small items. I got the Wen, when my first lathe, a Nova Comet 14DR had some problems (less than 6 months after buying it). Teknatool took AGES to get the issues sorted out, and had it for months after I sent it in for RMA. The Wen came onto the scene in that period of months that I had no lathe. In this case, the Wen has been MUCH better than the Nova. After my terrible experience with it, and Teknatool, I doubt I'll ever touch another Teknatool product again. Wen the company has been really easy to work with. I had an issue with part of the tailstock when I first got it. I just needed one small part, but they shipped out an entire replacement tailstock without any hullabaloo. I have to give them a call about replacing my spindle, I expect the experience to be as easy as it was before. I've made...oh, a couple hundred pens or so with it. It is a more powerful lathe than the Rockler you have, and it will turn up to 14" in diameter. Interestingly, I think its about the same price as yours. It IS very nice to have variable speed. The Wen has three belt settings, and will spin at anywhere from ~250rpm to ~3700rpm, I think. So its got a pretty good range.

In comparison to other lathes...I'd say that the Jet 1221 is probably a more robust lathe. It is more expensive, and won't turn as large a blank, but I have a lot of Jet equipment and a Powermatic large lathe (same parent company), and they are all solid pieces of equipment. Jet doesn't have any fancy fanfare with most of their equipment...so, say, my drill press doesn't have a digital readout, which you could get with a Wen press. I have a tabletop Wen drill press, and its decent, but I feel its not quite as solidly built as the Jet stuff. But the Jet is a solid, robust design and its very easy to use for your run of the mill drilling needs. Powermatic, on the other hand, you can get machines more robust and precise than Jet, with more fancy features. You'll just have to pay through the nose for them. ;) Just to give you some idea of where Wen kind of sits in the hierarchy. Its a good lathe, but nothing particularly exceptional. If you get one, I have no doubt it will serve you well for years.

One thing you would need to prepare for, though, is maybe a bit of tuning work. I'm still working on this with my Wen. The tailstock is a bit loose in the ways, so I may be contacting Rick Harrel here to see if I can get a custom tenon made that will fit the ways better, tighter. There may also be a bit of shimming you'll need to do, in order to get the headstock and tailstock optimally aligned. It looks like Nova sells a double-ended morse taper, which can be used to help you force the headstock and tailstock into optimal alignment throughout their axis. I've ordered one of those. Once this optimization is done, I should be able to get pretty much perfect holes, with little to no out of round or non-concentricity. A lot of this, you'd probably have to do with any lathe, to really optimize it. The main thing with the wen, is the looseness of the tailstock in the ways. I'd say there is 1.5-2mm of play within the ways. You can always align things manually each time you drill, or turn, etc. I'm trying to dial it in more solidly so that it is consistently aligned and ready to go, without having to fiddle with it all the time. ;)

Last edited:

bugradx2

Thanks very much for your reply.

I got into using the lathe much later on than woodworking in general. I have pretty much a complete shop that's purpose built in our basement at this point and have really enjoyed all types of woodworking. The shop is not large so tool organization is a concern. I've toyed with blowing out one of the walls but I'm not sure if that will get met with much enthusiasm by Mrs Bugradx2. I'm not sure I feel like moving all the electric in that wall either...

I agree with your comments on dust collection too. My shop is quite small so I can usually catch a lot of the dust at the source machine unless I'm using my hand sander or a router. I started with a rigid shop vac, added the Oneida dust deputy to it and then lucked into a small Jet dust collector that I have a large hose on so it can reach the main tools. I also have a Wen Air Filter that hangs from the ceiling that does a nice job pulling any airborne dust out of the shop too. I've yet to buy or build anything to do dust collection on lathe and am overdue for that. I think part of what's stopping me is the lathe doesn't really have a full time home. I typically turn with it on my work table and then move it onto a countertop when I'm doing a project that isn't turning related.

I've enjoyed my excelsior lathe a great deal, everything on it works and has stayed true while I've had it. When I do go to upgrade I'll take a long look at the jet 1221 or the Wen that's comparable. If I ever have a need to turn something larger I have a buddy who lives nearby with a nice setup. It just costs me a jar of my homemade salsa which is an easy price to pay. Whatever the next lathe is, variable speed control will be an absolute requirement. I'm pretty sure the VS upgrade that PSI and EB sell would work for my lathe I think if I'm going to spend that I might upgrade. My nephew has a massive space that he needs to covert into a shop and this might give him the nudge if a lathe appears at his house.

bugradx2

Ok - I'm bumping this thread again.

Tom (wolf creek knives) - how do you like the WEN lathe stand with your Jet 1221? You wrote 1220 in your original post but I'm guessing that's a typo.

I bit the bullet last weekend and bought my self a 1221 and it needs a home. I am also giving some fairly serious thought to building a table for the lathe so I can set it at the right ergonomic height for me (I'm 6'2") and then drive dog holes into the top to store turning tools. I could store the tools "above" the lathe on one of shop walls too but like the idea of having them at hand. It's also easier when my daughter or son are turning for them to reach the tools at a tabletop height than higher up on the wall. Building the stand for the lathe would allow for construction of some drawers and such for various lathe tools too. My shop is pretty tight so putting the tools in a drawer isn't optimal.

My excelsior lathe just got moved on and off my only work table as needed and the jet is heavy enough I'd really rather not do that.

Any thoughts you have are very appreciated.

Ok - I'm bumping this thread again.

Tom (wolf creek knives) - how do you like the WEN lathe stand with your Jet 1221? You wrote 1220 in your original post but I'm guessing that's a typo.

I bit the bullet last weekend and bought my self a 1221 and it needs a home. I am also giving some fairly serious thought to building a table for the lathe so I can set it at the right ergonomic height for me (I'm 6'2") and then drive dog holes into the top to store turning tools. I could store the tools "above" the lathe on one of shop walls too but like the idea of having them at hand. It's also easier when my daughter or son are turning for them to reach the tools at a tabletop height than higher up on the wall. Building the stand for the lathe would allow for construction of some drawers and such for various lathe tools too. My shop is pretty tight so putting the tools in a drawer isn't optimal.

My excelsior lathe just got moved on and off my only work table as needed and the jet is heavy enough I'd really rather not do that.

Any thoughts you have are very appreciated.
Kent- I do like the stand. Very sturdy with no wobble at all. Only two complaints and they are both minor issues. First you may have to get a base adapter made for mounting your lathe. Only the front two holes could have mounting bolts. But even with just the two mounting holes it still worked. Two, you have to watch the legs on the floor. They can be a tripping issue when standing offset to what your turning. I'm just over 6' and I'm all legs. As long as you're aware of this you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck

bugradx2

Thanks very much for the feedback, I'm long in the leg and clumsy as all get out at times. I'll have to ponder what to do. The idea of it not fitting all the bolt holes is a little disconcerting too.

I still wonder if doing a table on good wheels so I can move things around if needed will be smart too.

Plenty to think about!

Top Bottom