Natural Edge Goblet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

Okay one more "other" before I get back to making some pens. This is another piece of the cherry burl I've been playing with. The base is rosewood. This piece was a real bear for me. There was alot of air at the top of the burl. You would think air would be easy to cut through, but apparently not so much. I posted this over at sawmillcreek as well, but I know alot more folks over here, than I know over there.

Attachments

• gob_1.jpg
    gob_1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 298
  • gob_2.jpg
    gob_2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 221
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Ben that looks really nice. One minor criticism, and I know you'll take it in the spirit it is offered. Looking at the transition from the burl to the stand it seems a bit jarring. If you change the angle of the cup part of the base to match the flow of the burl I think the overall effect would be better.

jyreene

It looks nice. I can actually imagine it as a table lamp as long as you get a bulb that doesn't protrude above the edge of the bowl. Of course then you would have to drill into it and that might get dicey.

Ben,
That is an awesome piece... I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with Keith on the transition. There's a stop of one and start of another wood, but because of the contrast I can't decide if it's a good flow or not. At any rate, it is an awesome piece.

davinci27

Keith I appreciate the feedback. I'm still learning all things turning, so I actually appreciate feedback from people. Anything that helps me improve is good.

I'm still working on the whole spindle thing. I'm used to doing pens and for the most part I like pens with very flowing lines and very few accents in shape. It's a big change to move from the smooth skew lines to the curves and accents and shapes with the spindle gouge.

The funny thing is I see both sides on this one. Sometimes I see the change in flow lines as jaring and sometime it appears to fit the change in material. It would be much easier if I could just look at it and say yes I like it or no I don't. I guess I'll just have to make some more to try to get a feel ;)

grub32

Lovely...

TRUST ME...You post pics like those over there and you will make friends in a hurry...Nice Job!!

Grub

dasimm

Hi Ben,

I've been turning both pens and bowls for a short time now and I know how hard it is to turn a natural edge piece let alone deal with holes on/in the burl w/o it exploding on you in the process.

The thin walls of the goblet, the ratio of height-2-width as well as the ratio of size for the upper and lower pieces, and the combination of colors all demonstrate your skills.

All of these concepts requires some skill, knowledge, and experience which you have aptly demonstrated here.

Very well done.

GouletPens

That looks really, really nice. Great job on that!

I've always felt a special connection to goblets.....every time I use 'spellcheck' in a document that contains my last name, Goulet, the first alternative it comes up with is 'goblet', haha.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom