My latest trinket bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Here's my latest artistic bowl inspired by Cindy Drozda and others here at our local Turn-Fest 2009. It is made from Budgeroo (Lysicarpus angustifolius) and slightly spalted Bonewood (Acradenia euodiiformis). The inlay rim is made from segmenting smaller pieces together as I don't have much. The bonewood legs also presented problems from small borers , so I just left the holes as is and although I'm not happy, at least it does look natural. The faults and large borer holes in the Budgeroo are filled with sawdust and CA.

The leg joiner pins are from 2mm stainless steel nails cut down. It was all sanded to 1200 and finished with Shellawax then Shellawax Glow. I ended up also buffing the outside with Hut wax on my Swansdown mop to bring back a few dull spots that developed during handling.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1-angled view1.jpg
    1-angled view1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 250
  • 2-side view.jpg
    2-side view.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 197
  • 3-top view.jpg
    3-top view.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 177
  • 4-view.jpg
    4-view.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 158
  • 5-top view lid off.jpg
    5-top view lid off.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 6-leg worm holes.jpg
    6-leg worm holes.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

Wow that is outstanding!! I really love the design accents that you put into it. You've given me alot of things to think about.

MDWine

Nicely done... I am a big fan of those finials.
How big is the bowl? I've heard that the Shellawas is difficult to work with on larger pieces? Just curious...

You seem to have figured it out! ;^)

Nice!

Dai Sensei

Thanks for the comments

Nicely done... I am a big fan of those finials.
How big is the bowl? I've heard that the Shellawas is difficult to work with on larger pieces? Just curious...

You seem to have figured it out! ;^)

Nice!

The bowl is 6" dia by 3.5" high. The finial is 4" high and the legs 5.5" long.

Yes, I find Shellawax and Glow is for the smaller bowls, but this is what I consider to be on the limit. Larger bowls I go for the Shellawax Cream - all by Ubeaut here in Aus :cool:

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Beautiful Piece

Very well done and a bequtiful piece to look at. Thanks for sharing it.
Does the pins that hold the legs go all the way through to the inside?
Pat Harris
South Carolina,USA

Here's my latest artistic bowl inspired by Cindy Drozda and others here at our local Turn-Fest 2009. It is made from Budgeroo (Lysicarpus angustifolius) and slightly spalted Bonewood (Acradenia euodiiformis). The inlay rim is made from segmenting smaller pieces together as I don't have much. The bonewood legs also presented problems from small borers , so I just left the holes as is and although I'm not happy, at least it does look natural. The faults and large borer holes in the Budgeroo are filled with sawdust and CA.

The leg joiner pins are from 2mm stainless steel nails cut down. It was all sanded to 1200 and finished with Shellawax then Shellawax Glow. I ended up also buffing the outside with Hut wax on my Swansdown mop to bring back a few dull spots that developed during handling.

Cheers

Top Bottom