Narrow saw kerf

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

larryc

I have read several articles on segmented pens that state that a 1/16" or 3/32" saw blade be used.
I've priced these and they are expensive.
Is there any reason a single dado blade cannot be used instead of a regular blade?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

My thoughts are "On a dado set the two outside blades (usually 1/8" blades) do most of the cutting. Any blade that would be that thin (1/16" or 1/32") would be a chipper and used by itself would produce a rather rough cut." To be sure though you could do a test cut.

Rodnall

I bought a thin kerf blade for my table saw but can't use it with the riving knife (too wide). Ended up using a regular blade.

randyrls

I have read several articles on segmented pens that state that a 1/16" or 3/32" saw blade be used.
I've priced these and they are expensive.
Is there any reason a single dado blade cannot be used instead of a regular blade?

On a table saw, the blade doesn't have to be 10". I use a 7-1/4" blade intended for a circular saw. It is limited to a depth of cut of about 1". It works well as long as you don't push the blade too hard. Otherwise it tends to "sing". The kerf is about .072".

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I also use a 7 1/4 thin kerf blade it measures .0645 (just ofer 1/16th) for the kerf. I bought the blade at Lowes.

bobleibo

Freud has a pretty good selection of thin kerf blades that are pretty stable. I agree with using a 7 1/4 blade on the table saw as mentioned by others....less total blade to wobble.

kovalcik

The suggestion to use a 7 1/4" blades is good. Depending on the type of segmenting you are doing, the only downside of a regular blade vs thin kerf is wasting wood. Unless you specifically need the thin kerf (ie. you are repacing the wood with 1/16" of other material) I would go with the cleanest cutting blade you can afford regardless of kerf.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The thin kerf also means you can enter thinner filler pieces for design work. I have the 10 wood worker 2 blades with a stabilizer plate on my Delta 10inch unisaw that will give me glue up ready cuts. The 7 1/4 carbide 40 tooth with a stabilizer on it gives me just as smooth a cut, I just cant cut as thick a material. Using a sled I can only cut 3/4 stock without 1 inch.
For pen work it works just fine.

Top Bottom