Name that woodturner.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Through an early inheritance (Read, father in law wanted to get rid of them) I recieved a very large stack of magazines. Included in them were some Woodworkers Journals. Thumbing through them looking at the covers and came across this.
tn_wj.jpg

Now, for those of you who dont know, this is one of the forum members here. Now for a contest with no prize. Name that penturner on the cover of this magazine. If you know him personally, hold of on your post. I imagine this will go pretty quick but if not, I will post hints as to who he is. Hint 1:he worked for Woodworker's Journal.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Originally posted by edman2

Boy he sure looks like a younger Richard Coers!(low_48).:D

You are correct sir! Good call Freddie. Aw shucks, I thought that career was pretty much buried till I got a fun email today asking permission to show the cover. That was the best gig I ever had. I was the project builder/designer for 3 years. They moved to Peoria when PJS Publications bought the magazine. The project builder had moved out here, but his wife didn't. He had to move back east. I closed my custom woodworking business and took the job. Lots of perks having press credentials when you go to a trade show. Lots of free stuff (reads as free tools), lots of free drinks and dinners. PJS was bought out by the magazine publishing giant, Primedia. We were not making much more that 20% profit target, so the kept the cream from PJS and put several magazines up for sale. No one bought it, so it closed. Roeckler bought the title and subscription list. They didn't do the magazine any favors if you ask me. I enjoyed the large amount of plans that we had provided. I was not offered a job in Minneapolis. Woodworker's Journal was only one issue younger than Fine Woodworking. I could have done that forever, but it was a blast for the 3 years.

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Richard,
When I saw the photo I thought I knew who you were but I did a search for the MPG 2008 photos thread to be sure it was you. I did get to attend that meeting where I saw you do the two demos. I know how it is to have a favorite gig. I have one of my own that I would still be doing if I had my way, but alas, circumstances do change.:( Nice to hear your story.

I wouldn't have though that I would have brought about the memories that I did by just finding this old magazine. I'm happy that I could bring forth these 12 year old memories of good times.

Top Bottom