Name a Contest you would enter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Vic

How about a kit less store bought component contest. The simplest example would be:

Turn a piece of wood round, drill a small deep hole and slip in a cheap Bic pen refill.

Or Start with a Zebra 301 and use the aluminum body as a starting point.

I've got some ideas for other very inexpensive pens that could be disassembled for conversion.

And did I mention, I would like to enter and not chair the contest.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

How about a kit less store bought component contest. The simplest example would be:

Turn a piece of wood round, drill a small deep hole and slip in a cheap Bic pen refill.

Or Start with a Zebra 301 and use the aluminum body as a starting point.

I've got some ideas for other very inexpensive pens that could be disassembled for conversion.

And did I mention, I would like to enter and not chair the contest.

This can be done and entered now in a contest. Breaking down every little objective to a pen is what I think needs to be reworked and redefined. So many of these contests can be actually the same but are worded just a tad bit different.

Brian G

I think it would be worthwhile to go back to the post-bash comments for the past two bashes and refresh what was discussed for those. There's some common themes then and now.

Upfront, the BASH was very good to me this year. I entered as many contests as I did not for the purpose of winning prizes, but to push my skill. I'll admit that I "emptied the bucket" to defend the Ballpoint success from last year.

I like the idea of a simple wood contest. I'd go so far as to suggest that there be at least one contest where segmenting is prohibited. Most of the winners this year and last year across multiple contests had some kind of segmenting involved. Some people just like making simpler pens, and I hazard a guess that participation might be high in a "just wood and a kit" type of contest. I'll even volunteer right here, right now, to chair such a contest for next year's BASH. Perhaps we can do a test run if there's another Summer Extravaganza.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I like the idea of a simple wood contest. I'd go so far as to suggest that there be at least one contest where segmenting is prohibited. Most of the winners this year and last year across multiple contests had some kind of segmenting involved. Some people just like making simpler pens, and I hazard a guess that participation might be high in a "just wood and a kit" type of contest. I'll even volunteer right here, right now, to chair such a contest for next year's BASH. Perhaps we can do a test run if there's another Summer Extravaganza.

"So Let it Be Written, So let it be Done!"

Charlie_W

Wifey and I were talking this afternoon and thought of a collaboration pen contest only to read through these post and find that Pete beat us to it.

However, our idea of a collaborative effort pen would be for only one person being the pen turner and the other person perhaps not be a pen turner but rather be the one who might embellish the pen..

Curly

Charlie that is in part what I had in mind. The two people could combine their talents in any way shape or form they wanted to undertake together. Kit or kitless, Laser, CNC, OT Lathe or axe and pole lathe. No restrictions.

bobleibo

, and on the idea of giving up the winning pen, I think maybe that is a question that should be asked by the powers that be. :)

Just to clarify, again. This, in every instance from the beginning has been up to the penturner. No expectation was ever implied; if it was - this needs to be rectified.

Just to add to this, I know for a fact that none of folks who made the pens that were invited to donate them to the IAP collection were coerced in any way, it is simply an option for the best of the best to put their work on display for others to see first hand. I for one would be honored to have that opportunity to do so. I like sharing my work if I have something worth sharing. The IAP collection to me is kind of like the pen turning world's version of a museum that travels.

John Smith

I was In fact first place winner of the greatest contest there is. Run by the greatest host (just ask him :biggrin:)

I was asked if I would like to donate my winning pen to the collection. If I preferred not to, they would ask second place. I felt in no way at all pressured to donate it. I was however, very honored to be asked this, so I did. I can always make another pen if I want one like that for myself.

Ed McDonnell

How about a KING OF THE HILL contest.

Only rules are (1) that it must be a pen that you would be willing to give to your mom (or someone else you really care about) to use and (2) you made it.

As entries are received during the constest they will be posted in the contest thread for comment by all. Self promoting posts would be encouraged.

As soon as we have two entries a short duration poll will be taken to determine the current King Of The Hill. The winner of that poll will be declared King of the Hill and matched against the next challenger that is submitted.

Last pen standing as King of the Hill after the contest ends wins. There are no seconds and thirds. You are either King Of The Hill or you are not.

Additional rules. Contest chair eligible to enter. Pens will be matched for periodic King of the Hill voting in the order they are received.

Ed

jttheclockman

How about a KING OF THE HILL contest.

Only rules are (1) that it must be a pen that you would be willing to give to your mom (or someone else you really care about) to use and (2) you made it.

As entries are received during the constest they will be posted in the contest thread for comment by all. Self promoting posts would be encouraged.

As soon as we have two entries a short duration poll will be taken to determine the current King Of The Hill. The winner of that poll will be declared King of the Hill and matched against the next challenger that is submitted.

Last pen standing as King of the Hill after the contest ends wins. There are no seconds and thirds. You are either King Of The Hill or you are not.

Additional rules. Contest chair eligible to enter. Pens will be matched for periodic King of the Hill voting in the order they are received.

Ed

How about this Ed, make this a year long thing for as long as this site is in existence. Leave it out of the Bash. Have the contests and come up with the winner and they are the King and during the year if someone thinks they have what it takes to take on the King they throw down a challenge. Smack talk is encouraged. No prizes. Maybe somewhere have a section where the pen photo is displayed. Maybe have a list of all past winners and their reign. Put a little kings crown in the background of the photo. Enter as often as you would like. I like it. No rules about what can be used or who can enter. All comes down to members votes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom