Name a Contest you would enter.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We often ask and get feedback on the contests,specifically what contests you would like to see.

THis question is slightly different.
What contest would you like to have in the Bash that YOU would enter. Not just watch but actually enter.

THe Bash is constantly changing to reflect changes in the memberships interests and focus. When entries drop off radically in a contest its time to rotate something new in to take its place.

So now is a great time to suggest a contest you think would be great fun and challanging and you would really take the time to enter.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I would probably enter a contest where I could have a little banter with my fellow entrants. It's supposed to be a party after all:biggrin:
This happened a few years ago for instance. I entered a pen, then one of my enamas entered one.They took the mick out of me but as the contest allowed more than one entry, I came back and kicked his truck driving butt...:biggrin:
So, in a nutshell.....pics posted as completed and more than one entry per entrant. :wink:

I think it may be fun to also have a contest for best Pictorial/Tutorial , not for the previous year, but specifically for that contest.

Ok, something perhaps controversial......
I would NOT enter a contest that suggested that the winner gave up his pen to be part of the IAP collection. I would be honoured to be ( and possibly soon will be :biggrin:) included in this great collection, but not for contest winners.
Personally, I think this 'offer' is the biggest reason people don't enter these days.
Why would someone put his heart and soul into creating a special pen, only to have it given away?
Get rid of that kind offer in contests.....PLEASE !!!!!:wink:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Yes you did, but.....' never ask a question if you don't want to hear an answer.' Could be an old Chinese proverb...or just rubbish...I can't remember which...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I would NOT enter a contest that suggested that the winner gave up his pen to be part of the IAP collection. I would be honoured to be ( and possibly soon will be :biggrin:) included in this great collection, but not for contest winners.
Personally, I think this 'offer' is the biggest reason people don't enter these days.
Why would someone put his heart and soul into creating a special pen, only to have it given away?

I'll have to put some thought into that Skip!!

I have tried to make it clear that it is an offer, with no obligation or expectation. Possibly I have not been clear enough?

Even at the MPG, FLGAPG and MAPG - it is entirely up to the individual; and, there have been several who have declined. I have not heard that those who declined were viewed negatively.

BUT, there is a way to eliminate this - simply have an IAP Collection contest separately, not part of or an offshoot of other contests.

I'll start a discussion thread later this summer to get input from the membership - I do appreciate you feedback. :wink:

FWIT: 4 of the 5 BASH first place winners are donating their pens. The final contest, both the 1'st and 2'nd place winners the pens had previous home identified.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mark, please note that I'm not having a go at the IAP collection at all. You know I think it's fantastic.
I just think it may be a bit hard for some people to make something really special, and instead of using that winning pen making a much needed sale, they are encouraged to give it up.
Your suggestion of a specific contest to win a spot in the collection is excellent.:biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Sorry Mike, you asked what contests we WOULD enter not what we wouldn't.
Apologies for the diversion..:redface:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Skip, you do know I was referring to Derek. Your posts are valid responses and are most welcome. I wanted the type of input like you and Tony provided. Everyones response will be considered. No one persons suggestion, or opinion, or input, is of less value than anyone else's.
Discussion and suggestions are what Im looking for.

CREID

I would probably enter a contest where I could have a little banter with my fellow entrants. It's supposed to be a party after all:biggrin:
This happened a few years ago for instance. I entered a pen, then one of my enamas entered one.They took the mick out of me but as the contest allowed more than one entry, I came back and kicked his truck driving butt...:biggrin:
So, in a nutshell.....pics posted as completed and more than one entry per entrant. :wink:

I think it may be fun to also have a contest for best Pictorial/Tutorial , not for the previous year, but specifically for that contest.

I like your idea of the bantering, and on the idea of giving up the winning pen, I think maybe that is a question that should be asked by the powers that be. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, please note that I'm not having a go at the IAP collection at all. You know I think it's fantastic.
I just think it may be a bit hard for some people to make something really special, and instead of using that winning pen making a much needed sale, they are encouraged to give it up.
Your suggestion of a specific contest to win a spot in the collection is excellent.:biggrin:

Yup, no problem here Skip! I understand/appreciate your points fully!!! I actually expressed them privately when contemplating (amongst the coordinators) the 2015 BASH inclusion. It was a concern, so your thoughts are valid.

I am very open to anything than can make this project more valuable to the membership - so EVERYONE, keep giving constructive feedback - Please!

I'll post some polls later this year to get feedback; there are several easy modifications.

And yea - Get creative :foot-in-mouth:!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
, and on the idea of giving up the winning pen, I think maybe that is a question that should be asked by the powers that be. :)

Just to clarify, again. This, in every instance from the beginning has been up to the penturner. No expectation was ever implied; if it was - this needs to be rectified.

Curly

You can't win Mike.:roll eyes:

Trash talk but it should be from any thread during the Bash. Contest or otherwise.

Difficult to Hold. Have to defend my title, whatever that is.:tongue:

Kitless/custom, because I'll have a shop to play in.

Any contest not involving that "D" guy. :wink: :wink:

Collaboration Pen. That would be only 2 people that chose each other to work with and not disclosed until the winners decided. :):)

magpens

A stock pen component kit and blank contest.

I think this suggestion by TonyL is a good one ... no requirement to leave out any component.

I would also enter a Freestyle Pen contest, and a Kitless Pen contest, and a Modified Slimline Pen Contest, and a Slimline Unlimited Contest.

CREID

, and on the idea of giving up the winning pen, I think maybe that is a question that should be asked by the powers that be. :)

Just to clarify, again. This, in every instance from the beginning has been up to the penturner. No expectation was ever implied; if it was - this needs to be rectified.

I was typing my post as you posted yours, I didn't see it until I submitted mine.
:biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

I really like the idea mentioned above about a contest to write up an article / tutorial for the bash specifically. I like doing these things and would do it. Might also be a way to get more good articles in. Might be a lot of overlap though....

How about a contest for a kit pen with a particular wood. A different wood each yeah where you do some hunting to find your best piece of that kind of wood. Like olive wood one year, buckeye the next, ambonya etc. that would be fun for old and new potentially I think.

I like the pen box idea this year and I'm not sure why I didn't do it. Too many other projects going I suppose.

Dan Masshardt

Maybe some fun / kinda silly challenge like best pen using no abrasives or finishes. Just turning tools.

Also how about best pen with a story. Not so much the pen itself but the story about where the wood / material came from. Of course it would require integrity for the entrant to be honest.

I would enter all the ones I mentioned.

CREID

I have already heard some fun ideas. One thing I think we have to remember is prizes. Maybe some contests could be for bragging rights for a year, something silly like weirdest avatar? Or would someone whose name starts with D win that hands down.:biggrin:

Pete275

How about a contest to find Skippy's rubber rat. If I remember right it went on tour and never came back.
All Kidding aside I like Tonys' suggestion also what about bringing back the Russ Fairfield contest, AKA a modified slimline contest. I also hope to enter the kitless and may the advanced pen contest.

Wayne

jttheclockman

What I find hard to decipher at times is the contests themselves. Tony mention components with blanks. I think there needs to be more or should i say less distinctions between contests.

Back to the ones I would enter would be the pen stand and pen box contest. I would also find one of those contests that allows segmentation and let the blank do the talking. I need to have it on a pen though. Just blanks to me is not the way to go. Sometimes the kit can highlight a blank.

GoodTurns

The Lou Metcalf Pretty Wooden Pen Contest. Lou was a great proponent of simple, pretty wood pens. He made clean, kit pens with impeccable finishes. Nothing crazy, nothing that required more than a lathe and finishing supplies. Yes, there are many amazing creations presented every year but the pleasantness of a clean, simple wood pen sometimes gets forgotten. I may even be able to provide prizes;).

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
The Lou Metcalf Pretty Wooden Pen Contest. Lou was a great proponent of simple, pretty wood pens. He made clean, kit pens with impeccable finishes. Nothing crazy, nothing that required more than a lathe and finishing supplies. Yes, there are many amazing creations presented every year but the pleasantness of a clean, simple wood pen sometimes gets forgotten. I may even be able to provide prizes;).
I TOTALLY agree with this. Not that I'd stand a chance but, would make an entry.

grueinthedark

As inspired by another topic, how about a " leftovers " contest. Something made from the stuff just hanging around the shop

stonepecker

I had a wonderful time with this years Bash. I am still learning how to post pictures in what I consider the 'right place and size'.

I will enter every contest I can. I am learning that when running a contest you do not have as much time as you would like in the shop. But I will be ready next year.

Personally, I would like to see a 'vendors contest'......If you are on the "Vendors forum" you are a vendor. Not partime sales. Not the people that make the items you sell. YOU, the Vendors. Step up and show us your best work using the things you sell.

(Ducking now as I hear the shotguns being loaded)

GoodTurns

I TOTALLY agree with this. Not that I'd stand a chance but, would make an entry.

That's the idea...anyone could have a chance...folks without $$$ for a fancy kit, folks without fancy tools (or skills ....pointing to self) to do incredible segments, curmudgeons who don't want to collaborate (again with the pointing), newbies, old timers....it's just gotta be a pretty wooden pen....could come from a $100 blank or the woodpile....it's as level a playing field as there is.

jttheclockman

Plain wood . What sets one from the other??? You never are able to see a finish on any pen ever shown here. The pen in a hand is what can tell the finish. Plain wood. All do oak how boaring is that??? We have enough contests just need to refine them. Do a plain wood pen and enter in one of the other contests. To me these contests run into each other and there is not enough distinction.

Sandsini

Here's an idea:
A contest with open entries categorized by pen type, eg.: Fountain Pen, Rollerball, Ball Point, Mechanical Pencil, Artist's Pencil, etc. The entries could be modified, stock, kitless, whatever. Then among those entries you can award prices like best finish, most creative, most beautiful, best fit, best finish, best complement of hardware to material, etc.

Judging could be done by all of us or by a hand picked group of "experts". I used to run model contests for a large Japanese hobby manufacturer and this is one of the techniques we used.

Carl Fisher

Just some random thoughts in no particular order.

Up the stakes on the Kitless contest. Not including the nib/refill require a minimum of two completely different mediums. i.e. acrylic and stainless, wood and brass, etc... Something that requires taking your kitless work to the next level but not "freestyle". Could be accent bands, finials, jewels, segments, whatever just something besides the base material.

Custom clip contest - design and implement your own functional clip. Could be wood, could be welding wire, could be damascus, whatever.

Desk pens, calligraphy or dip pens. Require a desk holder for the pen when not in use.

Carl Fisher

Collaboration Pen. That would be only 2 people that chose each other to work with and not disclosed until the winners decided. :):)

The collaboration pens are always outstanding. I wish there was more of that going on to push the envelope.

I like the idea of anonymous 2-person teams until after voting is complete.

Top Bottom