Mystery Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randywa

Can anyone tell me what this wood is? It came with some yard sale goodies, but the guy selling couldn't remember where it came from. He mostly did box and clock type work. Thanks.

Attachments

• wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 183
  • wood4.jpg
    wood4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 169
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

It looks like Lyptus to me. I made a tablr for my wife out of it. I have also turned some pens from it, although the grain is a little boring.

Tomas

bking0217

How thick are the pieces? From the color, they look like they would shine with a nice finish, but that may be my inexperience speaking. I love pretty much all wood.

randywa

These 2 pieces are 3/4". There are others that are 1/2". Def. not cedar or walnut. The boards are not heavy feeling. I wondered about boxelder.

randywa

Mystery Wood update

Here's some better pics( I hope). I sanded the end grain and just wiped a little tung oil on. This stuff is really soft. There's no spalting. It dents very easily on the face and the edges seem to make small slivers if you bump it around too much.

Attachments

• wood01.jpg
    wood01.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 115
  • wood02.jpg
    wood02.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 119
  • wood03.jpg
    wood03.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 117
  • wood04.jpg
    wood04.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 116

Hubert H

Looks a little dark for basswood but your description fits basswood and I have seen some basswood almost as dark as your pictures. So maybe....

tomas

From the end-grain, this still looks like Lyptus. When I worked with it, it worked and looked a lot like mahogany. It is relatively soft, although not as soft as pine.

Tomas

randywa

The eucalyptus looks more like it than anything I've seen. Is eucalyptus the same as the Lyptus tomas was suggesting? And guys, I really appreciate the help with this.

David Keller

Lyptus is an engineered, sustainable hardwood that is plantation grown. It's fairly heavy and hard. It does look a bit like mahogany with a more reddish hue. I've built some furniture out of it, and it does have a tendency to splinter.

Top Bottom