My own Homemade Carbide Cutter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LarryDNJR

Went to a local metal tool supply outlet type store in my city yesterday and bought this carbide tip for $1.50. Came home turned a random selection of wood. Notched it on the band saw, sanded and thick ca in the cutter. Did a few test runs and worked surprising well. About 8" in length. Almost a inch across the cutter head. Has a slight angle and a small bevel on the right side. Made for some easy interesting cuts.

I know I'm going to get flack for making something like this probably. :)

Can't wait for the orders to pour in! Kidding

LarryDNJR

Attachments

• DollarFiftyHomemadeCarbideCutter.jpg
    DollarFiftyHomemadeCarbideCutter.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 374
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Looks cool. Now you just need to stain it. You will have to make sure to show it to me this weekend if I stop by. Was that a, "I am doing it because I can" type deal since you already have a nice tool? Boy, that didn't come out the way I wanted it to lol.

KenV

Being of the cautious type, and having had a catch or two, I suggest movement from the wood prototype to a stronger brass, bronze or stee arm and with the screw made to fit the insert attaching it via a tapped hole.

Inserts are pretty standardized these days with only a few sizes in the range normally used to make a wood turning type tool.

It is fun to make your own tools - from prototype to finished.

LarryDNJR

Being of the cautious type, and having had a catch or two, I suggest movement from the wood prototype to a stronger brass, bronze or stee arm and with the screw made to fit the insert attaching it via a tapped hole.

Inserts are pretty standardized these days with only a few sizes in the range normally used to make a wood turning type tool.

It is fun to make your own tools - from prototype to finished.

I do plan on trying to make something that looks a little more like what we see on the market now.

This was for lack of better words me messing around with what I found from this store I went to. It actually works but yes being wood I can see the potential for it cracking. Right now it is holding up. :)

snyiper

Having made one myself from steel and screwed in cutter, I would worry about chatter with out it fastened securely in a solid base.

Top Bottom