My Other Things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nothing fancy, just something I like to do on occasion. Starting from the left, the first is my late father's Case Sod Buster. The plastic handle broke, and I replaced it with Amboyna Burl. Finish is BLO. Next is a boot dagger made from local sycamore. Then a letter opener with the same Amboyna Burl. The last is Bubinga, the first knife I ever made. It spent a year in Kuwait with my wife. I may well make better knives, but this one will always be special.

2006122311814_Assorted%20Sharps.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

William,
Very nice knives. I have some elk antler that I think would work great in the application. Can you help me threw the process or can I send you some?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
First the drill and now knives? What else do we have to fear from you, William? :D Seriously, though, those look really great...particularly the Sod Buster.

kenwc

I have an old buck knife with finger groves that I'd really like to make some scales for from Amboyna Burl. I know nothing about Knive Making but I'm a voracious reader when I get my mind on something and I'm looking at Knife forums now. I know I can make the handles...but simply put...I don't have a CLUE how to rivet the handles on.

For Christmas I bought myself a "Bench Made" brand folder that has removable handles. They use tiny allen head fasteners. That might be my fist attempt.

Those knives you modified there look great.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by kenwc

I have an old buck knife with finger groves that I'd really like to make some scales for from Amboyna Burl. I know nothing about Knive Making but I'm a voracious reader when I get my mind on something and I'm looking at Knife forums now. I know I can make the handles...but simply put...I don't have a CLUE how to rivet the handles on.

For Christmas I bought myself a "Bench Made" brand folder that has removable handles. They use tiny allen head fasteners. That might be my fist attempt.

Those knives you modified there look great.

Knife making is a hugely popular hobby/avocation. There are many scores of web sites devoted to the craft. There are also vast resources for teaching how to make knives. The scales are fastened in a variety of ways. As said, allen heads are one, other screw types are used. Sometimes brass rivets are used. I have often used brass or brazing rod, then peen the ends. Whatever suits yer fancy is what makes the end result personal.

PenWorks

very nice Cav !:) Why don't you get out the cold and come over here to help me finish mine.
I have 6 damascus blades all about that size in a drawer for the past year, waiting to be finished [V]

MERRY CHRISTMAS

BigRob777

William,
Awesome stuff. I want to refinish my kitchen knives with verawood, but the priority list is long. Maybe some day..... How did you secure them? It looks like you used brass rod.

Thanks for sharing, merry Christmas.
Rob

wdcav1952

Anthony,

It isn't cold here at the moment, but I would absolutely love to work with a Damascus blade!! After a few more knives I plan to try one with some extra special wood (which I don't have a clue what I want yet!)

All but the bubinga folder use brass rod. The bubinga one uses the allen set screws.

Two good sources for information (including tutorials) are:

http://www.northcoastknives.com/

http://www.texasknife.com/

Thanks for looking.

leatherjunkie

William,
knifes look great.
there is another knife making website.

www.knifekit.com

the folding knife on the far right appears to be the ddr-3 button release lock blade. if it is you can go to www.knifekit.com and get a coil spring for it. its under the replacement coil springs window.
you will need to read and measure a spot on your knife to figure out the right spring.
yes this spring will turn the knife into a spring operated knife:D[}:)].

check out the website.

BigRob777

William,
Do you glue in the brass, or hammer it in some way, to expand it? I have been wanting to do knives other than kitchen, but I don't know what kind of market there would be and I intend to do craft shows and I'm not sure knives are appropriate for them. Man I'm green. Anyway, I was thinking of using contrasting wood pegs for my kitchen knives. Maybe I'll use redwood, or blackwood. I'm looking through those tutorials and they should help me a lot.
Thanks,
Rob

wdcav1952

Rob,

I cracked a really nice scale trying to peen the brass. Now I glue the rod in with 5 min epoxy. After plenty of time for it to set, I grind/sand away the excess brass.

Leatherjunkie,

Thanks for the website; I had not seen that one before. Spring loaded, hmmm. :D

BigRob777

Cav,
Thanks. I can't imagine trying to pean them with these big paws. Thanks so much for posting this and answering my questions. I just posted my trays, finally.

I used to collect swords, for lack of a better hobby at the time. Some of them have lousy handles. Maybe I'll tackle some of them. I sold my cheapies for the same price I paid for them, at a garage sale. That should be fun.
Rob

BigRob777

William,
I've got something for a future knife for you. Just remind me to send it with your next order.
Rob

7/32" X 1-5/8" X 5-3/8" Curly Koa, on the house. They're a bit thin, but they should work for some knives.
20061224162036_DSCN0044.jpg

wdcav1952

Originally posted by BigRob777

William,
I've got something for a future knife for you. Just remind me to send it with your next order.
Rob

7/32" X 1-5/8" X 5-3/8" Curly Koa, on the house. They're a bit thin, but they should work for some knives.
20061224162036_DSCN0044.jpg

Rob,

You need to warn a guy before you give him heart failure like that!! Woohooo, I am already figuring out my next order. BTW, I will get my poor excuse for a thank you package in the mail Tuesday.

Thanks, my friend,

csb333

Those are beautiful. I wish I had a tenth of the talent that went into making those. I like the far right one second but my favorite is the sod buster because I am an Amboyna freak!

wdcav1952

Dario, I guess opening this post answered your other question. [8D]

Sure, if you still have my number call anytime. If not, PM me for the number. I'd post it here, but Ed might see it! :D;)

BTW, before Ed or Mike mentions it, my brain is pretty slim pickings!!

ahoiberg

great work cav, i've been itching to make some new scales for some vintage straight razors i have, thanks for re-inspiring me to get on it!

wdcav1952

Thanks for the nice comments. Billy the folder you like was from NorthCoastKnives. I didn't do the smoothest job ever on the scales, but I was proud that Nancy took it on Operation Iraqi Freedom with her.

Top Bottom