Hawaiian Hala Wood Miniature Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Tom McMillan

Here's a miniature vase I have on EBAY right now, made from Hawaiian Hala wood I got from Chris. Reminds me a lot of the palm woods, but I really like the patterning in this piece.

2008130201326_custminis0144%20062.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom McMillan

My eyes are bad but I could see that one Andrew. But, the apple below was a trial for a special order---I lost 2 stems in the process---dropped em in sawdust and no way to find em. I've been making some 1/4 scale (1/4 inch to a foot scale)items lately which I make a little over 1/4 inch tall and wide. Glad you like my "big" dimes Gary:D.

custminis0144184.jpg

Cecilia

Amazing! Congratulations on excellent work! I checked out your stuff on eBay. They're all wonderful.

One question: How do you get your Purpleheart to stay purple?

Tom McMillan

Thanks all!! The miniature turnings really aren't difficult, just takes very small tools, especially for hollowing.

Cecilia--after turning & sanding sometimes I'll use a hair dryer and then hold a Viva paper towel to heat up the wood some to make it a little more purple. Then I always use CA glue as a finish. I do have one piece I used the CA glue on several years ago, and the purple color has remained.

Oh, if anyone else would like to see my work on EBAY here's a link: http://tinyurl.com/exj7q

Top Bottom