My New Shop!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wade

Hi All,

I've kept forgetting to take pics of my shop all finished, but I finally did that this evening. I figured I'd better get my butt in gear and post them or i'd forget that too. Please note, I've never done any construction before in my life, so this was a total learning situation for me. I had a few friends help with a few things that were 2 person jobs, but 90% of the project was done on my own.

Anyway, the first 3 pics are the before pics, the last 5 pics are the after pics (going from right to left).

The shop isn't the largest, but i'm making good use of what space I have. I guess i'm trying to take a page from Stu in Japan on space conservation :D (Hi Stu). The final shop is 10.5' x 11.5'. The shop started out as a part of my garage. I then put up a wall to separate it from the rest of the garage and framed in all of the walls. They were framed with 2x4's, insulated and sheet rocked and finished with mudd and paint. The ceiling is tiles like you'd see in an office, but they are not drop tiles, they attach directly to the ceiling rafters. I started this on Oct 7, 2006, and took approximately 5 weeks to finish the shop to completion (completion means all walls were painted and the ceiling was done). After that I had to move everything in and build a workbench and put up shelves, etc....

Well, this is the end result. I have a few more things to do, but they are relatively minor. Biggest thing is to finish off the windows, but that can wait a bit yet. I made most of my christmas gifts in my new shop this year. I didn't have a lot of time to do it in, but it definately worked out well and everyone who got something wound up loving it (whew).

Anyway, here's my proudly completed project!

Wade

200715319_IMGP1706.jpg

2007153057_IMGP1705.jpg

2007153120_IMGP1707.jpg

2007153131_IMGP1807.jpg

2007153151_IMGP1808.jpg

200715320_IMGP1809.jpg

2007153210_IMGP1810.jpg

2007153219_IMGP1811.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wade

Yup, I got me heat! In the 6th picture down, it's the little brown oak box. That's my heater. It's called a Solar Comfort. http://www.suncloud.com is where I found out about it. It's very economical, but you do need to replace the crappy mechanical thermometer with a digital one. The mechanicals don't like all the wood dust. :)

I have plenty of sawdust going thru that shop too. I just clean up religiously after i'm done working in it. Most of the wood I work with is on the toxic chart and I don't like having a lot of dust bits floating around to breathe in. I just quit smoking for my health, I don't want my hobby to bite me in it's place.

LOL,
Wade

bnoles

Wade,

Great job and what a change between the before and after. I know how much pride is felt when you have some shop space you can call your very own, there is nothing like it.

I am like you and believe in a clean well organized shop. I don't think anyone can argue that it does not make for a better and safer working environment.

Thanks for sharing your accomplishment with us.

kenwc

How do you like your shopsmith dust collector? I've always like the compactness of them and they seem to be really quiet. They are very mobile also.

wade

Hmm, fire extinguisher. I never thought of that?!?!?! I think I need to stop at the store tonight because that only makes sense. Thanks!!!

As for the DC, I really like the shopsmith dust collector, but the shopsmith itself has been returned. I'm also really into turning bowls (I use green wood to start with) and when I put a small 10" bowl on the shopsmith with the speed reducer, well, it wasn't good. The machine started to take a walk. Also, when I managed to check the accuracy of the speed reducer, it was WAY out of round, by over .2". Just wasn't acceptable.

Wade

stevers

Is'nt it a great feeling to finish and move in to your own, all new shop. I remember when I finished mine. Such a proud day. Congrats on doing so much of the work yourself. You'll remember that for ever, and you can tell anyone that with pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom