My new shop - sorta

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Several have posted photos of their shops, here is mine......sorta :)

Well, now I'm getting excited! In some of my recent posts I mentioned that we are moving, well here is where to and they finally poured the slab yesterday. This is the basement cut 8' into the hillside at one point. The shop will be on the right side just beyond the plumbing.

The builder recommended adding something that I thought was very interesting, see if you can guess what it is. On the slab towards the right side of the photo there is a white strip running the length of the slab from front to rear. Anyone care to guess what it is?

Attachments

• show low slab.jpg
    show low slab.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 515
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
That looks like it will be a mighty roomy shop George. Congratulations!

Is the White Stripe indicate where the airplane is supposed to land?:biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
my guess would be dust collection as well, But after some thought, It would be a pain to clean out a jam in that system if that is indeed what it is.

seeing as it is headed straight for that big Electrical situation, my guess would be a power source with tons of floor plugs.

PenMan1

Since it is in line with the power distribution box, I'm guessing a "chase" to allow easy reconfiguration of electrical service /voice and data throughout the shop?

Looks like about a 30 X 40 shop. Nice and roomy! Congratulations.

MarkHix

Great start George. We are going to miss you here. Looks like you will have almost as many trees there as you did here so you will never run out of wood.

The white line? The line your wife tells you that you just crossed? No idea.

Texatdurango

my guess would be dust collection as well, But after some thought, It would be a pain to clean out a jam in that system if that is indeed what it is.

seeing as it is headed straight for that big Electrical situation, my guess would be a power source with tons of floor plugs.

Wow.......... that was easier than I thought! When I submitted my electrical requirements to the builder, he saw that I had several tools and a few tables down the middle of the shop so he suggested running a "ditch" down the center of the shop containing wiring covered with metal diamond plate and I could add receptacles wherever I needed them so I wouldn't have to rely on plugging things into the side walls and tripping over wires. I thought it was a pretty nice idea.

PenMan1

Wow.......... that was easier than I thought! When I submitted my electrical requirements to the builder, he saw that I had several tools and a few tables down the middle of the shop so he suggested running a "ditch" down the center of the shop containing wiring covered with metal diamond plate and I could add receptacles wherever I needed them so I wouldn't have to rely on plugging things into the side walls and tripping over wires. I thought it was a pretty nice idea.

I don't know how you found this builder, being new to the area, but this tells me that you will get a good job. He thinks "shop", convenience AND safety. Few builders here think beyond the "cookie cutter" mold anymore.

When it comes time for dust collection, I would probabally ask for the builders thoughts as well.

PenMan1

Can I go shopping with you to buy all your new tools? I'll push the cart!

Funny, but if I won the lottery, I would be mostly shopping for tools NOT made in this millennium.
1. OLD Delta Unisaw - 5 hp.- 3 phase
2. OLD BIG South Bend Lathes...
3. OLD Ingersoll Rand Bobcat..
4. And a planer like Gary Max's! That thing has to be a beast!

and the list goes on!

Last edited:

mrburls

That's what a builder suggested to me also when I was looking to build a building behind our house. The eletric and dust collection in the concrete here in San Antonio, Tx.

Looks like a nice place to settle down George. Got the rest of the amboyna burl blanks in the mail today. Very nice as usual :)

Keith "mrburls"

DustyDenim

George: Looks like you will have a very nice shop there. When you decide to have the Grand Opening Party, I will need at least 3 weeks notice in order to make travel arrangements and put in for vacation at work. You could also use the white line for an "Out of bounds" line for the keg during the Grand Opening.

Texatdurango

The picture shows 'Show low' Is that the town, and where?

I just looked Safford up on the map, as the crow flies, I will be 100 miles due north of you. It is Show Low, Arizona, a nice little town up in the White Mountains.

Now I know who I can hollar at when it comes time to move the lathes around!:biggrin:

tim self

I just looked Safford up on the map, as the crow flies, I will be 100 miles due north of you. It is Show Low, Arizona, a nice little town up in the White Mountains.

Now I know who I can hollar at when it comes time to move the lathes around!:biggrin:

From what I've seen of it, it is a nice town. My daughter and family lives there and SIL grew up there.

rlofton

Hey George! If you go buyin' new stuff, I want first dibs on anything you're replacing. Especially that Hasselblad camera. Too bad you won't be able to get anymore of that really nice amboyna burl, ain't it?

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
A great start George. Nice locationfor a shop. I envy you. Have to ask,what's the white box on the tree for?:confused:

Come on Chuck, the white box is for the builders to put their permits in. It has like a plexiglass front on it to protect them from the weather.:wink:

Texatdurango

Hey George! If you go buyin' new stuff, I want first dibs on anything you're replacing. Especially that Hasselblad camera. Too bad you won't be able to get anymore of that really nice amboyna burl, ain't it?[/quote]

I MIGHT let the Hasselblad 503CWDII V-Series go at a decent price but am hanging onto the H3DII-39 Medium Format unless you really twisted my arm. :)

No more burl.....Who says? Bunta will be having another few containers arriving late summer when he finishes his new warehouse. I still have his number and I could always include him when I drop by to visit friends. And then, there is UPS!:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Come on Chuck, the white box is for the builders to put their permits in. It has like a plexiglass front on it to protect them from the weather.:wink:
Thanks Ernie ! I thought it was a squirrel feeder :redface: Pretty place George has there. Can't wait to see more pictures.

MobilMan

Guessed it meant the town here in Ariz. but had to ask. Are you North toward Heber or South toward Pinetop/Lakeside? Looks to be a nice size shop. I'll have to look ya up "after" the heavy work is done. I've got a place 75 miles East of you in Alpine. In fact my Grandson is in Show Low today. He just graduated from 8th grade. The high school varsity baseball coach called him last night to go with the team to play Show Low today & tomorrow. Proud of him, hasn't started high school yet but is playing varsity already. I'll be lookin ya up.

Texatdurango

Guessed it meant the town here in Ariz. but had to ask. Are you North toward Heber or South toward Pinetop/Lakeside? Looks to be a nice size shop. I'll have to look ya up "after" the heavy work is done. I've got a place 75 miles East of you in Alpine. In fact my Grandson is in Show Low today. He just graduated from 8th grade. The high school varsity baseball coach called him last night to go with the team to play Show Low today & tomorrow. Proud of him, hasn't started high school yet but is playing varsity already. I'll be lookin ya up.

We're South, right ogg 260 towards Pinetop/Lakeside. The space in the photo isn't all going to be shop though. I wanted a few seperate roms downstairs to do leather work and stained glass, another to store wine and added a bathroom so the shop got a little smaller but is still larger than what I have now and I can spread out all my tools without having to roll them around so I'm happy.

Top Bottom