My new BOOM BOOM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greeneyedblackcat

Here is a little project I have been working on, a black powder cannon, its not finished yet but it should make a pretty big boom, 45 lbs of pure explosive happiness :biggrin: Hope U like it>>>>>>>>>>>>>GEBC

2_cannon_1.jpg

2_cannon_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Wicked, how much of a charge will it take? Can you give us something to compare size by? It looks like it could be 18in long or 6in.

Last edited:
Wicked, how much of a charge will it take? Can you give us something to compare size by? It loks like it could be 18in long or 6in.

To give you an idea of size the wheels are 12" in diameter, the overall length of the cannon is about 32" and the barrel is 22" in length. Bore diameter is .800 and it takes a 1/2 ounce of black powder per shot. I will take a better picture tonight with something to reference it to. :)

.800 bore, Will it shoot Paintballs? Do you use Shotgun primers to fire it?

Paintballs, frozen grapes, rocks, ball bearings or anything else that fits down the pipe! It currently uses a fuse to set the black powder charge off, the breech plug screws in so I could make a caplock type ignition system by machining another breech plug. I realy like the fused ignition, its cool never knowing exactly when it is going to fire :) For my next cannon I think Im going to bore it to accept golf balls :biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I used to know a guy who made one big enough to shoot frozen oj cans. He would take it down to the 200yd rifle range and practice with it.

Last edited:
Cool Canon Jim, great to see you posting again, what did you make the wheels from? the caisson looks great.

Ken, nice to see people still remember me :) the wheels are hickory and steel, the caisson is all built from steel. The cannon is fully machined and functional, I am going to finish it with either sandblasted blueing or duracoat, just havent decided on a finish yet.

rsmith

Wait, I don't get it...where does the refill go :confused: Kidding :biggrin: I for one would love to see that thing in action, really well done and I agree, the fused ignition is the way to go. Did you have this commissioned, or did you just do it because, well, whats more fun than shooting a frozen grape through some drywall?
BTW, where is Chesapeake City? 30 years in Frederick and never even heard of it:eek:

Wait, I don't get it...where does the refill go :confused: Kidding :biggrin: I for one would love to see that thing in action, really well done and I agree, the fused ignition is the way to go. Did you have this commissioned, or did you just do it because, well, whats more fun than shooting a frozen grape through some drywall?
BTW, where is Chesapeake City? 30 years in Frederick and never even heard of it:eek:

Frozen grapes are definitely fun :) Chesapeake city is the greatest place on earth :biggrin: It sits at the top of the Chesapeake bay on the eastern shore of Maryland , all the free blue crabs U can catch and a great little ice cream place around the corner.:cat:

Fred

Great shore protection cannon. I believe the Bay is in good hands. Have fun and keep your powder dry and fresh.

Be sure to let us know how far you can shoot a golf ball, although the idea of shooting frozen OJ cans is appealing as well. :biggrin:

Mickey

Frozen grapes are definitely fun :) Chesapeake city is the greatest place on earth :biggrin: It sits at the top of the Chesapeake bay on the eastern shore of Maryland , all the free blue crabs U can catch and a great little ice cream place around the corner.:cat:

Jim forgot to mention it's about 8 miles south of Elkton, MD and literally a stones throw from the Delaware border. I second the great ice cream place.

Mickey
Bear, DE

Paul in OKC

Used to have a kid that worked here, always trying to talk me into making him a cannon. Told no way, no how, no nothin'! I figured him dumb enough to hurt himself, let alone someone else.
Oh yeah, looks cool!

Parson

let's blow something up!!!

Sheesh. We're all a bunch of 12 year old boys trapped in much older bodies. I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this thread!

You know, I really need to blow $50 on some fireworks in July and get it out of my system for a while :)

RAdams

Banned
Used to have a kid that worked here, always trying to talk me into making him a cannon. Told no way, no how, no nothin'! I figured him dumb enough to hurt himself, let alone someone else.
Oh yeah, looks cool!

We never worked together did we?

I learned how to make a tennis ball cannon in high school shop class. That had to be the funnest project of the year. That bad dude would shoot a racquetball about 50 or 60 yards! Your cannon is WAY cooler than my old soup can cannon.

Top Bottom