My month long project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fishlux

fishlux

I didn't turn much in May, because I was re-decking my deck.

I used Black Locust, and I highly recommend it. Sure, I had to pre-drill EVERY hole. And countersink it. But the wood looks great. And it should last 20 years if I don't stain or seal it.

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 250
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

Looks great - when did you want to start replacing my deck? The bathroom should be finished this week and you can start anytime after that! :biggrin:

Dan

CV Wood

Great deck. I have never seen Black Locust. Nice looking and you did a good job.

Freethinker

I didn't turn much in May, because I was re-decking my deck.

I used Black Locust, and I highly recommend it. Sure, I had to pre-drill EVERY hole. And countersink it. But the wood looks great. And it should last 20 years if I don't stain or seal it.

Great looking deck. Should be a thing of beauty for a loooong time.

A few months back, I visited a wood-related website where people were talking about the properties of various woods......several of the people there stated that the durability and weatherability of black locust was not all that good.

Huh?!?!?!

These people do not know black locust. My grandfather told me that when he was a young boy in Mississippi, they almost always used black locust for fence posts if it was available....and that the posts lasted for many, many years.

fishlux

Black Locust traditionally has been used for mine timbers, railroad ties, and fence posts. It was too hard to work with the tools of the day to do anything else with it.

These days it's used in ship building, decking/boardwalks, and I've seen some outdoor furniture.

Dan, sorry, I'm busy that weekend. And all the others too.

Top Bottom