My first successful bowl :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from beamer

Status
Not open for further replies.

beamer

Some of you may have already seen this, but I can't help myself :D

This is some free walnut I got from a friend. It was actually quite a big chunk, but there were some cracks and worm holes in many areas. I cut out this piece and a good 30 or so pen blanks from it. While doing so, I ran into at least 3 or 4 pieces of buckshot, that was a first! :D

The finish is 2 coats of BLO and a thin coat of shelac just to give it a little sheen. :)

Thanks for looking :)

20061119213155_First-Bowl-1.jpg

20061119213217_First-Bowl-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Very noce form on that bowl. If you want a good laugh I could show you my first bowl, it loks like a 3rd grader made it.

beamer

It's about 6" in diameter at the rim. Maybe 2 1/2" tall - could be closer to 3. The board I cut it from turned into pen blanks (that I still haven't done much with!). In it, I found lead shot in a few places! :p

BigRob777

Jason,
So I take it that Walnut trees are in season now. I have a cut tree, with anchorseal, just waiting for me to pick it up, but I can't lift it. It should make some nice bowls. I haven't turned one yet, but hope to some time soon. Congrats on your first. It looks very nice and is also thin. I think my first will be 1/2" thick.[:D]
Rob

Jason,
How did you do the bottom.. I have most trouble with getting the bottom like I want it... I don't have a big jaw for my scroll chuck... I usually cut a tenon to put in the scroll and then try to reverse chuck the bowl to fix the bottom. I have a jig I made of 2 pcs of plywood that I can bolt together that works okay for larger bowls, and need to something similar for smaller. - or get another scroll chuck that the big jaws will fit. I have an older one from PSI that supposedly will not take the wide jaws.

beamer

I actually made a set of "cole" jaws for my chuck. I'll take pictures of them and the bottom of this bowl tonight :)

Picture time! :D

Here are a couple shots of the bottom:

200711812040_bowl-bottom1.jpg

I really worried that the foot would be too small, but it actually worked out perfectly for the shape of it.

200711812137_bowl-bottom2.jpg

Here are the jaws I made. Just a piece of 1/2" baltic birch ply, rough cut circle on the bandsaw first. The rings are v-grooves that were turned before it was cut into quarters so that I could keep the whole mess centered :D

The pads are just squares I cut from my anti-fatigue mats that were about 3/8" thick and maybe 3/4" square. They just protect the bowl edges from the hard screws. It doesn't take much pressure to hold the bowl in place, surprisingly. I was able to just barely feel snugness when tightening the jaws and that was plenty.

This is the front of them:
200711812346_jaws-front.jpg

And here are the unremarkable backs:
200711812412_jaws-back.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom