My first Statesman Pens!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wrjones224

wrjones224

My first pens of the new year. A Bethlehem Olivewood Full-size stateman and the other is a Jim Beam Bourbon Barrel pen for one of the execs.
bb25c0b7-26d0-4f0c-ac23-f3f3ba006f99.JPG
01c517a7-66e3-4c17-9f9e-74f0e8ae8019.JPG

Attachments

• 2ed7d9b8-cbc9-4486-aa8e-a56a0bc9238a.JPG
    2ed7d9b8-cbc9-4486-aa8e-a56a0bc9238a.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 242
  • a2a23381-81a5-4152-bee5-e07d07e32f39.JPG
    a2a23381-81a5-4152-bee5-e07d07e32f39.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 241
  • fa0a26f9-8723-49bb-8266-5b08e6b9ba16.JPG
    fa0a26f9-8723-49bb-8266-5b08e6b9ba16.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 238
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wrjones224

My first pens of the new year. A Bethlehem Olivewood Full-size stateman and the other is a Jim Beam Bourbon Barrel pen for one of the execs.

I have a question...where would I go to get a silver nib for this pen. I like the gold but I think a silver nib would look good. Where should I look for replacement nibs for the statesman?

magpens

@wrjones224

Hi Ryan,

I don't really know where you should ask for a nib for the Statesman ..... but I will share some thoughts.

The Statesman pen kit is, I believe, made by the Dayacom company. . But you cannot buy directly from them becuz their Minimum Order Quantity is prohibitively high for "little guys" like us pen-makers. . So it's only appropriate for the major vendors to buy from them.

There is another little problem in that they don't tell us what nib they put in the kit. . So to get the right nib could mean that you have to buy another Statesman pen kit .... a kit which has a silver nib. . To ensure that you get what you want from a vendor, you would have to request exactly what you want and hope that they can supply. . Obviously, you might have to make your purchase conditional on getting a kit with a silver nib. . It is possible that Dayacom makes Statesman FP kits ONLY with gold nibs.

There are a number of companies that sell nibs on their own but you would have to ask if they have a nib to fit the Statesman, hoping that they know what size that would be.

One such company is Beaufort Ink in Scotland whose website is .... www.beaufortink.co.uk .... and the owner's name is Phil Dart.
Undoubtedly there are US companies that sell nibs. . Perhaps other IAP members can provide their names.
One such company MIGHT be ..... www.richardlgreenwald.com ..... ; you could do a search on Richard's website.

Two common brand names for nibs are "Bock" and "Jowo", and references to the Bock #6 nib or the Jowo #5 nib (or similar specifications) appear here on IAP sometimes. . You could do an appropriate search, note who has mentioned such nibs, and ask those people where they bought the nibs.

I am not saying that the nib for the Statesman is either of those. . I am just giving you some background to help you in the search for what you want.

Good luck in your search. . I would be very interested in what you come up with for your Statesman.

BTW, I very much admire the two pens that you show above !!! . You have done a very nice job on both of them !!!

Last edited:

Fred Bruche

I have a question...where would I go to get a silver nib for this pen. I like the gold but I think a silver nib would look good. Where should I look for replacement nibs for the statesman?
I don't have a Statesman fountain pen to compare and measure, but the engravings on top of the nib look identical to those on Jowo nibs. The width of the nib shoulder would tell you if it's a #5 or a #6 (looks like a #6). That said, the nib and/or the feed could be made by Jowo to some Dayacom unique specs, so a straight swap might not work.

magpens

@wrjones224

Hi Ryan,

You might want to keep an eye on this thread -

I know that your pen is a Statesman whereas this one is a Jr Statesman, but you might get some idea about nib sourcing.

Good luck. . Please let us know what you find.

wrjones224

Just so everyone knows for future reference. I talked with Pablo from https://fpnibs.com/collections/nibs and he was very knowledgeable. He said the nib on the full-size statesman was a Jowo #6. I bought some from him and they worked out great. Shipping to the US is a little pricey but I bought enough to make it worth it.

Top Bottom