My first Kitless fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CjG78

CjG78

G'day!
Thought I'd venture into the kitless rabbit hole and have a go!
My great mate and mentor Stephen Just has made many of them, teaching me step by step.
Jowo #6, acrylic
The shape is a little meh, but that'll improve over time (hopefully!) AND the pattern doesn't line up due to a few mistakes
Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20210516_123748.jpg
    20210516_123748.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 20210516_123811.jpg
    20210516_123811.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 226
  • 20210511_142813.jpg
    20210511_142813.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 209
  • 20210511_123442.jpg
    20210511_123442.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jans husband

Looks good Casey ! I'm very impressed.
Were you able to manage the internal thread in the section to accept the nib housing?
I can't get that right. It just doesn't want to work for me.
Also, did you need to paint the inside of the section so that the nib housing didn't show through?
Congrats,
Mike

CjG78

Looks good Casey ! I'm very impressed.
Were you able to manage the internal thread in the section to accept the nib housing?
I can't get that right. It just doesn't want to work for me.
Also, did you need to paint the inside of the section so that the nib housing didn't show through?
Congrats,
Mike
Thanks Mike, I was so pleased that the first one looked half decent!
The internal thread accepts the jowo nib housing well, I'd have to go through my notes on exactly how I accomplished this, but very happy.
I didn't paint the inside of the section, it is a little transparent but I don't mind. Maybe later on once I've made more I'll look into that.
I just started on an ebonite pen, the threads cut unbelievably well! Can't wait to finish that one. Cheers mate

FGarbrecht

Very nice! Internal section threading for the nib housing is always the killer for me, even after many pens. I usually have to make 2 or 3 sections to get it just right.

Pierre---

Nice pen! I have never be able to really line up the pattern with this type of acrylic because of the length of the threads. You can cheat so one side looks sort of good, but the other is unaligned anyway...

magpens

Great work, Casey !!! . Congratulations on your FIRST !!! ( of many !! )

Not sure what to make of pics #3 and #4.

Does #3 show the section-to-body thread ? . Or does it show the body-to-cap thread ?

What is the white showing in pic #4 ?

CjG78

Great work, Casey !!! . Congratulations on your FIRST !!! ( of many !! )

Not sure what to make of pics #3 and #4.

Does #3 show the section-to-body thread ? . Or does it show the body-to-cap thread ?

What is the white showing in pic #4 ?
Thanks Mal, hopefully many more to come!
Yes, pic 3 is section to body, and pic 4 is some tape covering the threads and mounted to a mandrel, just to protect them a tad

Ironwood

Nice start there Casey! I have found it's pretty much impossible to get the pattern to line up on those style blanks, sometimes you can get lucky and have it pretty close. I often see some of the established makers/sellers, on Instagram who obviously don't worry about trying to line the patterns up, some are completely off, but they seem to still sell the pens. Maybe we are too critical about such things sometimes.

I keep my first fully kitless pen (Rollerball) on the coffee table where I sit in the mornings, it's probably my favourite pen, even though I see faults in it. It's the dark green crush pen on my Instagram page , right at the bottom.

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I get out of mine.
I am certainly looking forward to seeing your progression in this craft.

Top Bottom