My First Corian Turn - Pen and Pencil Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

henry1164

I have a good friend who is a contractor who does remodeling in homes to include kitchen counter tops. He removed a corian top/back splash during a remodel and gave me the large pieces (bummer - only white and one pattern). To show my appreciation I made this pen and pencil set for him. The bribe worked - he promised me more corian if there is another job either installed (cut offs) or removed. I'm hoping that his next customer wants some wild and crazy finishes in their kitchen remodel.

I was surprised at how much it turned like alumilite - quite soft, no chipping. Turned with carbide tools with new inserts followed with a wide sharp skew to remove all tool marks. Because of using a light touch on the skew I was able to begin sanding at 600 and ended at 1200. Then I used Dr. Kirk's Red/White/Blue (not a micro-mesh user) and finally finished with Maguire's PlastiX. I'll do more corian!

Attachments

• IMG_4367.jpeg
    IMG_4367.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 192

m_kola

Great job! I have a few pieces corian from kitchen countertops but I never worked with then.
When I see your job I feel the power ;)

Bryguy

I was fortunate to receive two large shopping bags of Corian sink inserts. I love the stuff. So easy to work with. polishes up beautifully and, coming from the Granite State, I am able to make local themed pens.
Despite reading everything on this website about glueing Corian to make thicker pieces,it has always cracked down the glue line when drilled. Unfortunately thi has limited me to slimlines.

Top Bottom