My first Berea hardwoods blade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alchemist

Alchemist

Hybrid blank- buckeye burl and Alumilite. I'll admit this was challenging because it's a really long blank which made CA and finishing plain whackadoodle for me! I'm really amazed at the action on this pen.
IMG_1677.JPG
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1680.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
👍 👍
Your wackadoodle turned out superb. Lovely finish and an attractive blank. And yes, the mechanism is excellent - a favorite of mine.

Thanks for sharing.

Alchemist

Beauty defined! How was it finished? P
Five coats of thick CA, followed with several coats of medium. Sanding is pretty normal... 400, 800, 1500 grits to micro mesh 3200 to 12k. Last is One-Step plastic polish for that extra shine. I'll add that I know one-step can be applied after 400 grit, but I find it makes a better polish after 12k. I could be crazy?

Penchant 4

Five coats of thick CA, followed with several coats of medium. Sanding is pretty normal... 400, 800, 1500 grits to micro mesh 3200 to 12k. Last is One-Step plastic polish for that extra shine. I'll add that I know one-step can be applied after 400 grit, but I find it makes a better polish after 12k. I could be crazy?

Not crazy a bit. That extra bit of effort from 400 to 12,000 makes a visible difference.

its_virgil

The click mechanism in that pen and a few others sold by Berea is the Schmidt skm-88 all metal click mechanism. It is a great click mechanism and I will only make click pens using that mechanism from now on. The sierra super click uses that mechanism also.

The click mechanism is available for those who make custom non-kit pens. Several vendors sell it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Alchemist

The click mechanism in that pen and a few others sold by Berea is the Schmidt skm-88 all metal click mechanism. It is a great click mechanism and I will only make click pens using that mechanism from now on. The sierra super click uses that mechanism also.

The click mechanism is available for those who make custom non-kit pens. Several vendors sell it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

That's good to know! It's definitely a good "feel" with smooth action.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom