My first attempt at a vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from billybow

billybow

Got some cedar from a friend and decided that I would try to make a wood vase... Here is my attempt. Anyone have any suggestions on how to hollow out the inside considering I have no "chuck" to hold it with...

Can I glue a scrap piece to the bottom and use the screw holes in the headstock that I have?

Comments appreciated....

Billy

Attachments

• vase1.jpg
    vase1.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 252
  • vase2.jpg
    vase2.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 268

stonepecker

Drill press and fostner bit?

Put a plastic tube inside to keep the water in for the flowers. Tubes are cheap and can be gotten at Crafts Direct or Michael's

I would think it would look great once it is 'sealed'.

Dan Masshardt

Time to buy a scroll chuck and a Jacobs chuck. Be careful if you use that faceplate. Screws and end grain don't always play well. Especially if you're hallowing.

If I had do do it with only what you've got there, I
Would drill the hole for the tube on the drill press first. Then use a spur drive and a biggish cone live center to turn the piece.

Last edited:

plantman

Billy; I see a lot of choises for you here. You vase could be used with either end as the top. After you deside in what form you want to use it, glue a scrap piece of 3/4 inch mdf or wood to the bottom you choose. Mount a faceplate or screw center to the scrap board making sure your vase is centered and running true. Use 3/4 inch screws to hold the faceplate and keep the screws from damageing your turning or tools. Drill out the inside of your vase with the largest forstner bit that you have or can borrow. Larger sizes can get very expensive !! I you choose to do the narrower part of the vase, glue the scrap board to the other end and do as "stonepecker" suggests and drill out for a glass or plastic tube. When you have your vase hollowed out, take it to the bandsaw and remove the scrap base. There are many other ways to mount your vase for hollowing, but this is one of the simplest, and requires no extra purchases. Next step up would be to purchase a good lathe chuck with a set of flat jaws and soft jaw pins. Some flat jaw extension systems can hold bowls up to 14 Inches around. I am sure others will have ideas for you also. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom