My Alumilite blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alchemist

Alchemist

Edit: Not all are my own blanks. Sorry, can't seem to change the title!

Word has traveled amongst circles of people that I make pens. I never intended on selling them. I prefer not to bother with it. It seems to take the fun away from me. I like to give pens away. However, coworkers and friend all have offered me money, which I use to fund my addiction.

Enough of that... I was asked to make two pink pens.
While finishing up the last one, the owner asked for a third because she loved the first two. (It adds stress, but I can't help but do it)

So, here are three pens...

First is a Hot Pink Crush blank I had on hand with dressed in Satin Designer NT kit
IMG_1812.JPG

Next is a blank I used different pink mica powders (I tend to mix powders to get a color I like) dressing a nickel Blade kit from Berea Hardwoods.
IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG
IMG_1806.JPG

And lastly, another Designer NT chrome kitwith a custom blank and segmentation from the previous leftovers of the other pen, separated with white plastic.

IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1838.JPG

I turned the Designers without the proper bushings, so it was a bit of an experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Heck, if people are willing to pay for them...good for you. My only suggestion is don't overprice them. Your kits are nice but the "Designer series no NT" are not expensive so keeping your price in range will only keep you business going. These are nice looking pens for sure!!!

Kenny Durrant

Nothing wrong with selling a few. I like the pens. The colors are bright and eye catching as well. I also agree with you on wanting to keep it fun. If someone wants me to make a custom pen for them I enjoy the challenge. When they put a time limit on it that's when things seem to go wrong and that's when frustration sets in. Get what you can because it's an indicting hobby so if you can keep the cost down it just makes it a little more enjoyable. I sell a few here and there but I've found it's a lot easier to give them away.

bsshog40

They look very nice! I think I've only sold one or maybe 2 pens. Those were from my wife's coworkers. I've given a few away and the others are just sitting in a case. Lol

Alchemist

Heck, if people are willing to pay for them...good for you. My only suggestion is don't overprice them. Your kits are nice but the "Designer series no NT" are not expensive so keeping your price in range will only keep you business going. These are nice looking pens for sure!!!

I agree with you! Thanks for the tips!

Alchemist

They look very nice! I think I've only sold one or maybe 2 pens. Those were from my wife's coworkers. I've given a few away and the others are just sitting in a case. Lol

I've given away about forty pens so far, between my wife coworkers and myself, since I started turning. My goal is to give every person in my department a pen. I have 67 coworkers. It's just something I want to do. No reason but to get better and do better. Keeps me solid.

Alchemist

Nothing wrong with selling a few. I like the pens. The colors are bright and eye catching as well. I also agree with you on wanting to keep it fun. If someone wants me to make a custom pen for them I enjoy the challenge. When they put a time limit on it that's when things seem to go wrong and that's when frustration sets in. Get what you can because it's an indicting hobby so if you can keep the cost down it just makes it a little more enjoyable. I sell a few here and there but I've found it's a lot easier to give them away.

I agree, but the custom order thing is stressful to me. [emoji23] I do like a challenge, and someday, I hope to be able to do a kitless pen.

I don't know how I would do under a time limit. That could give me a terrible time.

PenHog

Nice work! I like that segmentation and the colors.

I'm right there with you on the stress of selling pens to people. Giving to family/friends is easy and fulfilling. But dealing with customers just seems like it might suck the fun right out of this "hobby" (aka. black hole for time and money). Good luck and keep us updated!

Top Bottom