Mr. Anonymous Game #67 @ 29/08/2019

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

G'day peoples,

Today game is based on some tree species that are abundant around this area and quite common to see by the sides of the roads. These trees are not big trees, one has no variant while the other has many variants, what I mean by variants is sub-species and even shrubs that never grow big. One of the main reasons I decided to use these trees for today's game is due to the fact that I have been on the road/out of the house a quite a bit for some doctors appointments, tests and so on so, with Merissa driving 95% of the time I have plenty of opportunities to look for all the trees we pass through and that may alert my attention the one way or the other.

There are other bushes and shrubs that flower in Winter and these 2 tree species I'm referring to are now in perfect bloom where everything is green from either evergreen trees, bushes, shrubs, grasses, etc.

One has unique white flowers that are easy to spot and the other has yellow flowers, this yellow varies from light to dark depending on the variation of that tree species, the bright yellow most commonly seen is just beautiful, I know that some sensitive people to pollen do suffer from them.

Anyway, I do actually have both tree species wood in my timbers list and while I wish I had the camera with me these last trip I made where the weather was sunny and the only thing I could see was white flowers but by far mostly yellow flowers, see in places that during the rest of the year you can't see anything but green so, the roads are colourful, smelling good inviting people to stop and enjoy.

I have some old pics I took, they will have to do for now but I will get a few better ones if I get the opportunity and not forget to take the camera.

So here are they: PIC00022_(1).JPGPIC00023.JPGPIC00024_(1).JPGPIC07371_(1).JPGPIC07372.JPGPIC00147.JPGPIC00148.JPGPIC00147.JPGPIC00149.JPG

OK so the question is;

Name both tree species...?? (common names and or timbers list numbers are accepted)

I would like to remind you all of the new conditions I introduced in game #32 and that is what actually the gift voucher amount will be spent on, and allow the actual winners to make their own choices. The only RULE that I ask you all to respect is that I allow each 1/3 of the value amount (AU$100.00) to be used for the selection of blanks/packs between the 3 main blanks types I make/sell, there is, raw/natural wood blanks, stabilized blanks/packs and Resifills (cast blanks), this means basically that you can select 1/3 of each type or all raw/natural blanks but never the voucher amount of all stabilized or Resifill blanks, I hope this has come clear if not, let me know...!

A voucher code will be sent by PM or email to the winner that will use it to put his/her's order, any freight/shipping is not included in the prize/voucher so, you will be requested at checkout to pay for posting.

Good luck...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC00022.JPG
    PIC00022.JPG
    698.5 KB · Views: 264
  • PIC00150.JPG
    PIC00150.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 258
  • PIC00151.JPG
    PIC00151.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 214
  • PIC00152.JPG
    PIC00152.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

Guess #3

Golden Wattle
White Wattle

As always, thanks for your games and making these wood and the opportunity available George!!

1080Wayne

I suppose white wattle must have been given it`s name for some reason , maybe the flowers are white rather than cream as suggested by the descriptions I read . Time for some raspberry jam on my breakfast toast .

robutacion

Hi fellows,

Interestingly, White Wattle, Black Wattle and every Wattle in between all have the same flower colour and that is certainly no white. ;)

I can also say that none of the tree species in question has thorns..!

Cheers
George

1080Wayne

I`m curious , George . What part of the tree anatomy does the colour in the name refer to ? I have wood of all 4 from you and colour differences are not significant , at least not on pen blank sizes . The foliage appears to be green on any photos I search . Seed pod colour ?

robutacion

I`m curious , George . What part of the tree anatomy does the colour in the name refer to ? I have wood of all 4 from you and colour differences are not significant , at least not on pen blank sizes . The foliage appears to be green on any photos I search . Seed pod colour ?
G'day Wayne,
I wish I had the right answer to your question, there are hundreds of Acacias/Wattles they all have small differences from leaf shape and colour, flower shape and colour, bark shape and colour and off-course the wood that has also some significant differences and then we have the "silica" that can play havoc with sharp edges mainly if that silica is old and turn into chrystals.

You could spend days reading relevant material...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:

robutacion

Well, the right answers are in fact among all guesses but no one has put the 2 tree species together in a guess so, I keep waiting.

On the other hand, I need to correct something I said in my original post and that is 1 week ago there were no other trees flowering than these 2 species but I have forgotten that about this time of the year some of the fruit tree species start also to flower such as Almonds, Plums, etc. I have a Plum tree in my back yard that has been "naked" for some months and today I saw many white flowers shooting out and that's when I remembered.

So, and to clarify, the 2 tree species I'm after are NOT fruit trees...!

Cheers
George

robutacion

And the winner is...?

Well, it seems the game got stuck and folks have no idea what else to guess and in a way, I can understand so and after a few days I have to award the prize to Xel the answer given may not be exactly what I was after but the #36 Cootamundra Wattle is indeed one of the tree species in flower at the moment as part of the large family of the Acacia so, I was looking for "Wattles" and the other one is one of those rare species to see as a tree, I have spoken of these species before and its importance as stock fooder, I'm referring to the #29 Lucerne tree that is more commonly seen as bushes planted to feed cattle.

Was interesting to see many of you going for various species of the Wattle I list on my timbers list, these wattle yellow flowers have also been discussed by me before (some time ago).

Congrats Xel you will receive a PM with the voucher/prize info.

As for all the other participants, thank you...!

Cheers
George

Last edited:
Reactions: Xel

KLJ

Well i missed it literally by one minute was typing golden wattle and lucerne. Thanks George for the games this one made me do a lot of reading and learning. Congratulations Renee

Reactions: Xel

Xel

What a fun game! Great way to spend an evening going through the timber list learning about trees (and oogling wood, heh). Loads of appreciation for George's generosity and much thanks to everyone who played. <3

Top Bottom