Mounting a tool to a new handle

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

I have a new Ashley Iles roughing gouge and want to replace the handle with a beefier one. I haven't made a handle before and would like to know how to make the hole for the tang, how to attach the tang to the handle and what to use for a ferrule?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I drill the hole on the lathe for the tang prior to turning then use a short piece of steel rod the same size as the tang as jam chuck in the hole to turn the work the rod is held on my lathe with a collet chuck but their are several ways you can do it. By drilling first and useing the hole to turn the piece you should guarentee the hole is centered in the handle. I use epoxy to attach the tand into the handle and usually use copper water pipe fitting from the local big box for the ferrule. CSU sells brass ferrules pretty cheap ( I think less than a buck)but I have not used them before.

note: If you lathe is not long enough to drill the handle on check in my Photo album under Jigs and I have a picture of something I make to drill handles on my mini.

Jamie

Thanks Mike, never thought about copper tubing. The one thing I am hazy on is that the gouge has a tapered "V" tang. Do I drill the hole the size of the mid point of the taper? I don't want to split the handle. PS, your web site looks nice.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Jamie
<br />Thanks Mike, never thought about copper tubing. The one thing I am hazy on is that the gouge has a tapered "V" tang. Do I drill the hole the size of the mid point of the taper? I don't want to split the handle. PS, your web site looks nice.

No, drill to the largest (or very slightly under) size of the tang. Instead of epoxy, you might consider using expanding glue like poly and cutting some notches in the tang for grip. Otherwise what Vick said is right on the money. It isn't hard. And the nice part is you can customize for your tastes, hand fit, etc. I usually do mine the lazy way. I start out with a shovel handle. They are made of hickory (nothing tougher) and are already round. I buy the handles new, very inexpensive.

vick

Jamie,
I looked up a picture on the internet and the tang on this tool is unlike any of the tools that I have made handles for. Most have had round tangs so I am not sure I can be of help.
If anyone answers who has done it listen to them. If not I would suggest one of 3 methods.

1. Drill a hole big enough to fit the tang in and either fill with epoxy or a combination of epoxy and wood shims to get rid of the extra space.
2. Decide on a hole slightly smaller then the tang will fit in and after turning expand the hole using a small triangular rasp of file or a dremel or small chisel.

or 3 do not drill prior to turning but turn your handle then drill three holes in a triangular pattern to fit the tang into. Just a note it can be a real pain to get the holes just right which is why I like to drill before turning since I do not have a large drill press. I would definately recomend trying it on scrap wood first if you are going to make the handle out of a nice wood.

Jamie

Thanks again all! Yes, it has a wide, flat "V" tang. I have been racking my brain trying to figure a way to cut that shape. I think drilling the center hole and filing to shape may be the bast way. I normally wouldn't go to all this trouble, but the tool is really great.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by Jamie
<br />Thanks again all! Yes, it has a wide, flat "V" tang. I have been racking my brain trying to figure a way to cut that shape. I think drilling the center hole and filing to shape may be the bast way. I normally wouldn't go to all this trouble, but the tool is really great.

A lot of old tools had square taper tangs that were just pounded in. I rehandled an old draw knife that way. Would like to see a picture of yours though. It sounds unusual. Chuckie's idea sounds good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom