Mold for pendant blanks??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I have also become hooked on the new craze of pendants. I have made 4 of them so far and i think i am just getting started. what an awesome way to utilize the scrap!

Anyway, i was thinking of pouring some blanks specificly for pendants. I need something that is completely flat on the bottom and roughly the same size as the pendants so i dont waste tons of material. I know pill bottles work good, but i have yet to see one that is flat on bottom, and all the ones i have are too small. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Hey, that is a good idea! i will have to raid the kitchen for some lids!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
How about taking a piece of cutting board, drill the appropriate sized hole with a Forstner bit, and then put on top of another pice of the same material. You can hold the two pieces together with screws or bolts.

RAdams

Banned
Another top notch idea!

I also thought about a small metal lid for like a little cookie tin or something. Of all the ideas, i think i like the cutting board idea the best. I could actually cut it to fit the pot, and put several little circles in it and make several blanks at once!!! BRILLIANT I TELL YOU!

Thanks for the little brain storming session there fellas! Helped me right along!

jleiwig

How about some petri dishes or something along those lines. US plastics should have something that would work, but the cutting board idea sounds good.

RAdams

Banned
WOOT

that is what they are here for!! USE EM UP

Let us know what you do, and how it worked!!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
How about making one blank out of whatever material you choose (cutting board,
wood, Corian, modeling clay etc.. ) and once you have your original, make your mold
from that. That way you can make is as close to finished as you want, put it in a
mold box and pour your RTV. When you pour your resin, it's almost done.

jleiwig

How about making one blank out of whatever material you choose (cutting board,
wood, Corian, modeling clay etc.. ) and once you have your original, make your mold
from that. That way you can make is as close to finished as you want, put it in a
mold box and pour your RTV. When you pour your resin, it's almost done.

cheater! :biggrin:

RAdams

Banned
Yeah, that would be cheating big time, lol.

I still want to turn them. I just want to pour my own, and have a good mounting surface right off the bat. I think i got it figured out with some little lids from my wifes kitchen!!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Yeah, that would be cheating big time, lol.

I'm not talking about pouring a finished piece, you know. But you can make
four or five pieces the right size and make a mold of them. That way you can
pour your own blanks in a re-usable mold and get as close to the size you
want as possible, wasting less resin.

You'd still need to turn, drill, sand etc..

jleiwig

I'm not talking about pouring a finished piece, you know. But you can make
four or five pieces the right size and make a mold of them. That way you can
pour your own blanks in a re-usable mold and get as close to the size you
want as possible, wasting less resin.

You'd still need to turn, drill, sand etc..

Your the mold master..let's see it!

RAdams

Banned
I FOUND THE PERFECT MOLD!

A week or so ago, my wife tried to give me one of those soft muffin pan thingies to try to use for casting bottle stopper blanks. I gave it back to her and told her that it was too shallow, and too wide. Well, it turns out that the shallow wide muffin cup is PERFECT for casting PR pendant blanks. It has 6 individual Muffin cups which i cut into 6 individual little cups. I can fit 5 of them in the pressure pot at a time. Works like a charm. Once they are done curing, you just pop em right out of the flexible mold.

RAdams

Banned
I have already poured a run of 5 blanks. Worked like a charm! The only problem i could see was the fact that they are fairly soft, which made the cups hard to pick up and handle without spillage.

I will post pics of the molds and my first run of blanks!

RAdams

Banned
You asked for it.....

1_pendant_blanks_and_mold.JPG

RAdams

Banned
Hey David, Do like i did and cut the cups out...

Then chop all the leftover stuff into little pieces and string it all over the house, and let the dog in!!!!!!

Then of course Make your wife a handfull of pendants and buy the dog a giant bone from the butcher when she finds out what you did!

Top Bottom