Modified slimline- second time with Ironwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alchemist

Alchemist

So, I bought some Ironwood blanks. A customer asked me to make her a bunch of pens. She had some specifics- three must look like the ocean to compliment the gigantic chunk of driftwood she gave me to cut up, one is a segmented cigar pen, and the last four I am "just make them look manly".

The Ironwood was sitting amongst my pile of blanks and cutoffs. So, I figured "Ironwood... it sounds pretty 'manly' and has some nice color.

So, firstly, when cut and drilled, this stuff just stinks like manure.

Secondly, it turns surprisingly easy!

Thirdly, I added mahogany veneer and rosewood.

I've been trying to make a pen with this shape ever since I read Don Ward's Slim Line book.

I've finally come close!

I cut my own lower barrels for slimlines. I don't really like the center ring.

Sanded from 400 to 12k, added boiled linseed and pita sand and polish. Finished is thin and medium CA glue. (I rarely count the layers, just apply till I'm comfortable.)

To finish I sand again 400-12k wet sand and finish with One-Step Plastic Polish.

Long winded? Probably, but I've really only been turning for about four months and this is a personal achievement.

Oh, I did wear mask covering during the whole process. Especially glad since I found out how toxic this Ironwood can be!

IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1998.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG
IMG_2001.JPG
IMG_2002.JPG
IMG_2003.JPG
IMG_2004.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nice !! . ( understatement ! )

You have done an absolutely beautiful job !!!!

While I catch my breath, I have a question .....

.... Ironwood .... stink ? ..... I have done lots of pens with Arizona Desert Ironwood and noticed NO SMELL AT ALL !

........... and toxic ????

Is mine a different species from the Ironwood that you used ?

( Still can't believe how GORGEOUS this pen is !!!!! )

FANTASTIC !!!!

Please describe the "trim" at the lower end of each barrel ...... 2 other woods ? ..... which woods ?

Alchemist

Very nice !! . ( understatement ! )

You have done an absolutely beautiful job !!!!

While I catch my breath, I have a question .....

.... Ironwood .... stink ? ..... I have done lots of pens with Arizona Desert Ironwood and noticed NO SMELL AT ALL !

........... and toxic ????

Is mine a different species from the Ironwood that you used ?

( Still can't believe how GORGEOUS this pen is !!!!! )

FANTASTIC !!!!

Please describe the "trim" at the lower end of each barrel ...... 2 other woods ? ..... which woods ?

The small segments are a mahogany veneer and capped with rosewood.

I was reading posts and such, and apparently ironwood is considered a toxic wood... at least the dust. With being a respiratory therapist, I consider most everything bad for the lungs.

The blanks I have are from Arizona, but this is only the second time I've turned it, so, I'm not sure. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Jarred

Great job. I have cut back on sanding prior to applying CA, sanding up to about 600 then applying the finish and then progressing up to 3000. Previously used Novus Step 2 followed by Meguiar's show polish, but switched to the Beall buffing system, which does a better job IMO. The finish is exquisite and saves me a bit of time in sanding.

jamesfl

This is a fantastic looking pen. I love the contrasting wood and complementing hardware. I wish I had been making pen this nice only 4 months in.

Top Bottom