Modified RAW v7 (x5)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PatrickR

PatrickR

My Wife wanted pens for her advisory board. She always gives them Indiana themed items as they come from other states.
5 modified aluminum RAW kits with southern yellow pine barn wood. The blanks were stabilized and finished with CA, sanded to 400 for a matte finish. Monogrammed finials. Comments, criticism and questions welcome.
b1d48c963f826f1bc9374a88e8cb34c0.jpg

8f8d24d8e6616cdc0bc0c5ba36dc0d4f.jpg

b2385b81e816457808e8d90a3e7fa48a.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Love the pens, personalisation and the photo descriptive inserts. Polished job indeed!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

magpens

Nice !!

How did you put the wood on the cap ? . Did you machine down the aluminum?

Last edited:

More4dan

Great Pens and I really like the box lid idea and execution. When you say modified you weren't kidding. Did you make the entire cap or heavily modify the existing one? Which clip did you use? What were the thread size for the cap? Very impressive work!

Danny

Jeremymc98

awesome pens!! I have made 2 of the brass raw pens and i am very curious how you modified the cap and also how and what clip you added.

great job and execution!

Bikerdad

Modified RAW kits? Sorry, but there are WAY too many acronyms surging across the Interwebz for that to make sense.

What is a "RAW kit"?

OZturner

Excellent Pens Patrick,
Terrific, Modifications.
Great Profiles and Proportions,
Superb Concept and Execution.
Beautiful Recycled Barn Yellow Pine Blanks.
Outstanding Presentation together with Personalising of the Finial.
Congratulations,
Brian.

magpens

I would love to see pics of the parts, please .

What thickness would the wood be in the cap ?

Thanks for compliments!

On the cap - I've only used the threaded portion. I turn it down as thin as possible and cut if off. Then epoxy it into the cap.
The clip is a "J" from Beaufort held in by a screw in finial. There is no tube in the cap.

If anyone wants to see pics of the parts I can take some tomorrow.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Patrick.

As a temporary resident of Franklin, In and Bloomington, In for 4 yrs (1983-1987) - HI!

I love the appearance of the finished pens. The rustic finish and the general straight-grain blanks are very nice to me. They look like what I would have wanted.

The modified cap - sweet!!! VERY NICE!

I am not a fan of the opened nib end of this kit. This is truly a personal opinion, and in no way reflects on your craftsmanship.

Closed, I love the overall appearance. Clean, neat, elegant. Well done.

Thank you for sharing.

james80

I really like how each pen is not unique in a small way but quite different even though it's the same wood. I like the grip part of the pen and you made it so much better with the modified cap.

PatrickR

Thank you all for the comments.
Mark - I agree, the nib and connector are a little crude. Someone (?) posted a couple of closed end versions not long ago with contoured nibs, so there is enough meat there for refinement.

PatrickR

Mal, Here are the pics. I don't work from detail drawings but I was concerned about thickness enough to do one on the cap (w/o dims). That's when I added the ring to support the thinnest section of the cap. The sketch was used for drilling reference. The 5/16 aluminum tube was used in place of the stock brass to make the shape better and allow for threading.
c8bc22fcb64b1c117062452e8b7c7a99.jpg

a5456defcde32539af6436fcfcca418e.jpg

e1982fc4e6fdc34b38c9739564579f4b.jpg

Top Bottom