Minwax Wipe On Poly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlh

After reading a post by Coach I tried Minwax Wipe On Poly as a finish on 2 pens turned from Cocobolo. The finish looked great but I have been waiting 2 days now for it to dry and it is still tacky to the touch. My can of finish is not old and I shook it well before applying. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The oils in some tropical hardwoods can interfere with the proper setting of some finishes. You might try wiping the finish off with some mineral spirits. Wipe the pen down very well with acetone and put the finish on again. The idea being that the acetone will pull enough oil off the surface of the wood and the finish can then set properly before more oil leaches to the surface.

opfoto

I did a couple of Cocobolo SL's, finished them with PSI (which I believe is Poly) dipping finish(2 coats). Gave it 1-2 days and it was fine. And this was before I heard about the oily woods needing to be wiped down. I will be doing that from now on.

JimGo

Fred,
IMHO, not really. I've used BLO/CA on a few of my Cocobolo's just to give it that little bit of extra shine, but I've been pleased with Cocobolo even without the finish.

jdavis

Temp and humidity affect this type of finish. Did you let the first coat get completly dry? This also can effect second coats. Try Mac's suggestion. That will work and should fit your problem. Remember you cann't rush finishing process.

wayneis

First of all with this type of poly you need to put on very thin layers letting each layer dry completly before the next is applied.

As for finishing cocobolo, you only need to finish it if you want to protect it, if all you want to do is have it shine then sanding is enough but if you want to protect it from the elements then you need to put on some type of finish. And that goes for any wood, just because its so hard that it takes a good shine it doesn't mean that it will also take all of the scratching and moisture and everything else that a pen ends up going through..

Wayne

coach

I don't use Minwax. I use Renaisance Wax. It only takes about 15 seconds to dry then buffs out perfectly. CSUSA and AS carries it. I use it on the metal and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom