Milling Machine Delivered

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

For a long time I have thought that I could use a good milling machine.

Would really be helpful for doing lots of things such as:

1. making blanks square after rough cutting,

2. squaring the ends of blanks,

3. making clean diagonal surfaces for segmenting to other clean diagonal surfaces,

4. cutting nice clean grooves for doing inlays and segmenting,

5. planing thin inserts or inlays for segmented designs,

6. accurately thicknessing all insert materials for slipping into various nooks and crannies,

7. making accurately shaped triangular, hexagonal, and octagonal cross-section blanks,

8. not to mention other "odd" shapes such as pentagonal, duodecagonal, etc.

9. generally trimming off bits and pieces that won't come off in any other reasonable way,

10. creating another sinkhole for not-so-readily-available-cash that SWMBO has forgotten to claim,

11. anything and everything else that might come along .... you can probably think of millions of other things yourselves.

So, the machine got delivered today. . Actually, it had been delivered once earlier last week, but they came
and took it away again before I could get my hands on it.

I just assumed that SWMBO had had a word with the supplier when I was not listening, pretending to be me,
and convinced the supplier that it was not intended for this address.

But then, through the intervention of the Blessed Almighty Pen-Making Gods who have miraculously favored me
throughout my pen-making career, in spite of my never, ever, turning a profit of any kind, it reappeared. . TODAY !

Yes .... this Milling Machine reappeared today .... a couple of hours ago !! . I gasped !! . I wept !!

SWMBO was nowhere around, and so I was quick to uncrate this Milling Machine today .... SUNDAY !!
.... getting it into the shop and ready for work tomorrow !!!!

YES !! . It is Sunday !! . And they delivered it today !! . Well ... that is ... they RE-delivered it today !!

How lucky can a guy get ?!!! . I wasted no time in uncrating it, and I phoned the supplier to express my extreme gratitude !!

And the supplier's rep was in his office expecting my call !!! . What a thrill we shared !!!

Well !! ..... Where's the picture, you ask !! ..... "No picture ... didn't happen !!" ... you say !!!

OK, OK, Ok ....... FINALLY ....... here's the picture ... !!!

Our front street desperately needs resurfacing ..... the work starts tomorrow >>>>

I didn't know this thing was called a milling machine until I asked the delivery guy ....... He is such a nice guy .......

He explained all about it ...... even though he said he really didn't know a thing about it ....... he just delivers ....... and takes away ......

But here it is ....... ....... THE MILLING MACHINE ....... !!!

IMG_1485CR.jpg

And in case you are wondering why we need such a thing, the next two pics show you the condition of the surface of our front street !!!

Don't you think it's time for a new surface ? !! . And what about all those faithfully paid taxes ....... ABOUT TIME, ISN'T IT ???!!!

IMG_1487CR.jpg

Thanks for listening .... er, reading .... you guys !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1486CR.jpg
    IMG_1486CR.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 137
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Wow! What a story. I retired from the asphalt business 2 1/2 years ago and although I never worked on the street I'm familiar with the machine and what it does. I ran an asphalt plant for 45 years. When you see it working I don't think you'll want to get close enough to try to work the blanks like you mentioned before. Thanks again for the entertaining story.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Oh boy!!!! You have sooooooooo lost the plot, Mal.

Before you go completely over the edge, and don't recognise us anymore, I just wanna say it was nice knowing you, kiddo. :rolleyes: 😘

magpens

Oh boy!!!! You have sooooooooo lost the plot, Mal.
Before you go completely over the edge, and don't recognise us anymore, I just wanna say it was nice knowing you, kiddo. :rolleyes: 😘

Skip, as long as you think it has been "nice" that's all that matters, my friend !! . I think I'll be around for a day or two yet !! . Enjoy !!

Does Afrikaans have an interesting expression for "lost the plot", or "over the edge" ? . Language fascinates me, so I'm keen to know.

magpens

What a good story that had me going for awhile. Home alone with the cat and laughing out loud. Good feeling. Thank you.

Hi Roly,
Things have become kinda boring in North America of late, so I thought I would "stir the pot" a bit !! . (I think that's an expression that I learned when I lived in Oz, ... for a few years .... many years ago.)
Mal

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mal, there are many wonderful Afrikaans idioms. I'm no longer fluent enough to recall them all, but one does come to mind.
Hy het 'n klap van 'n windmeul weg
It literally means.....He's had a smack from a windmill :D

magpens

Mal, there are many wonderful Afrikaans idioms. I'm no longer fluent enough to recall them all, but one does come to mind.
Hy het 'n klap van 'n windmeul weg
It literally means.....He's had a smack from a windmill :D
You picked a good one, Skip !! . It sounds quite in keeping with the idioms (of other origin, probably) that have already been mentioned !!
It seems likely that the Afrikaans idiomaticians had some experience with windmills ..... Yeah ..... and me too !!! o_O😂
I'd like to be able to pronounce that one ..... but that's kinda asking too much under the circumstances that we're both aware of !!!
At least I get the "klap" part, and one or two other syllables !! 🙃😗 . Too bad they can't spell better though !

Alan Morrison

Mal, Our part of the world has an expressive description for you......
Yer a buck eejit....
Ask yer good lady what it means.

Alan

Curly

Mal are you going to be selling the the first road blanks?

I hate to say it but the there are highways here that are worse than your pictures show. They don't touch them until they have lots of potholes to fill and for some unfathomable reason to me only do the worst, leaving the rest to grow. I am actually coming to appreciate the onset of winter. Once the holes are filled and levelled by the snowplows the roads are nicer to drive on.

wood128

Mal , there is a woodturners club that is looking for remote demos . Practice a little with your new milling machine , do some filming and produce a video !!!! Be careful !!!! Take care.

magpens

Today, the new milling machine is being put through its paces.

Some photos of it in operation will appear in due course. . Please be patient at this exciting time !! :)

howsitwork

I like the fact it has a seat to sit and enjoy your coffee on the job !

now you need a bigger lathe with similar facilities
1594073819621.jpeg

Top Bottom