Midwest Penturners Gathering 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Looks like we may be able to put lots of names with faces this year! This is a great event and we are really looking forward to it. Now to find the right hotel. Any blocks set yet Rich?

low_48

Well... Today I got the ok to come down. Found a decent looking hotel with a pool for the girls to stay at so we can make the most out of the trip.

So as long as my bad luck for pen meetings from 2011 doesn't continue into 2012, I'll be there. Looking at the list so far, I think I might be the northernmost person coming so far.

Which hotel did you pick? We are looking at several different hotels. We are gathering data on Country Inn and Suites(std rate $89 with breakfast), Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham ($68) and Double Tree by Hilton ($117 with breakfast, $101 without breakfast). Do you guys want us to look at lower rates? We are going to get rates on all these for a block of 30 rooms. More info to follow ASAP.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I picked the country inn, but my rate was a bit higher than that. If you figure something out, I'd like to know. We are planning 2 nights as we have a 5.5 hour drive each way.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I know a few people have "booked" rooms, Rich. But, if you settle on a "home hotel", they will probably be able to change as long as we are this far "out" from the date.

I was somewhat aware of your plans, so we have not made reservations yet, and will certainly be part of your "block".

low_48

I picked the country inn, but my rate was a bit higher than that. If you figure something out, I'd like to know. We are planning 2 nights as we have a 5.5 hour drive each way.
That was the group rate she asked for at Country Inn, but she's not sure if the rate was for single of double occupancy. She will ask for more details, we generated a list of questions tonight to get more info from the hotels listed. The other prices shown are standard rates until we get group rate information from them.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Being the cheap person I am, I booked a room at Motel 6 in Normal, IL. It's $40 per night (plus any taxes and fees) and 11 miles away from the venue. If we get a block of rooms at a hotel with rates not too much higher than that, I'll switch.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Forum Runner

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Correction, I just rechecked my reservation. 35.99 Plus tax per night.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Forum Runner

Brooks803

I got the approval to go! Just gotta figure out the cheapest way to do it. Im looking at flights to chicago and renting a car. Hotel Info will be great since I gotta plan way ahead.

low_48

Jonathon,
There are direct flights from Atlanta, Ga to Bloomington, IL and starting April 9th into Peoria, IL where I live. About 45 minutes from Peoria, to Bloomington. Ohare in Chicago will be cheaper, but that is about a 3 hour drive, sometimes more with traffic. If you fly to Bloomington, the hotel will get you on a shuttle, and someone is bond to be close to your hotel to get you to the venue. That would save you the rental car.

Buzzzz4

We will be driving in from Grand Rapids, Mi. We have room if anyone needs a ride between there and Bloomington. Also, we plan to stay at the hotel with a block of rooms.

Brooks803

Jonathon,
There are direct flights from Atlanta, Ga to Bloomington, IL and starting April 9th into Peoria, IL where I live. About 45 minutes from Peoria, to Bloomington. Ohare in Chicago will be cheaper, but that is about a 3 hour drive, sometimes more with traffic. If you fly to Bloomington, the hotel will get you on a shuttle, and someone is bond to be close to your hotel to get you to the venue. That would save you the rental car.

Thanks for the tip Rich! Although Atl is a 3hr drive it'll be a drive I've done many times.

I've been doing my homework today looking at flights and hotels in the area. I was looking at Hawthorne suites, Days Inn, and Red Roof. They're all in the same spot (West Market St if I remember correctly). About 6miles away from the venue. Do you have an idea as to when you'll decide on where to reserve that block of rooms?

low_48

It looks like Country Inn and Suites will be the winner. Chris gave it a good review, others are looking at it, and at least one reservation has been made already. We can get a better price by $10 at Hawthorne, but they want my credit card number as an agreement on the group rate. I'm more than a little nervous about giving my credit card number on 30 hotel rooms even with the manager telling me that he would not charge me anything. That would have to be in writing, and I would still be nervous. I like you guys a lot, but not 30 times $79 a lot. I have a feeling that maybe 30 rooms might not be enough, and Country Inn will do 40 rooms or more at the rate of $89. That includes breakfast. I have to get over there and sign a letter of intent and then will have a code number for everyone to use. Okay with everyone? Anyone with a different recommendation? If not, I'm going ahead.

thewishman

It looks like Country Inn and Suites will be the winner. Chris gave it a good review, others are looking at it, and at least one reservation has been made already. I have a feeling that maybe 30 rooms might not be enough, and Country Inn will do 40 rooms or more at the rate of $89. That includes breakfast. I have to get over there and sign a letter of intent and then will have a code number for everyone to use. Okay with everyone? Anyone with a different recommendation? If not, I'm going ahead.

I stayed there last July and it was very nice indeed. There are snacks available during the day and the rooms are comfortable and quiet.

Brooks803

It looks like Country Inn and Suites will be the winner. Chris gave it a good review, others are looking at it, and at least one reservation has been made already. We can get a better price by $10 at Hawthorne, but they want my credit card number as an agreement on the group rate. I'm more than a little nervous about giving my credit card number on 30 hotel rooms even with the manager telling me that he would not charge me anything. That would have to be in writing, and I would still be nervous. I like you guys a lot, but not 30 times $79 a lot. I have a feeling that maybe 30 rooms might not be enough, and Country Inn will do 40 rooms or more at the rate of $89. That includes breakfast. I have to get over there and sign a letter of intent and then will have a code number for everyone to use. Okay with everyone? Anyone with a different recommendation? If not, I'm going ahead.

Thanks Rich! I'll try to coordinate with someone staying there to bum a ride to and from the venue. That'd save me about $200!

Who gets the lathe in their room? :tongue:

SOMEONE'S gotta bring one! Can't have a bunch of turners sitting around talking and no turning!

ericw95

Just watch the speed traps. If the cops get wind of a bunch of rich craft type people, you just may be pulled over and asked to fork over some cash AND the pen you sign your citation with. No first hand knowledge but I was given a similar warning once about Bloomington's finest.

wthomp

Crushed...

I do not post on here as a general rule but I will visit from time to time. I am one of the older members from what I have seen and am just crushed that Greg has given up turning pens and posting on here. I have never been to a Penturners gathering but as I will be in Terre Haute, IN on the 27th for a veterans event, I may drive on over and see what all the hubbub is about. Greg used to get VERY excited about the gathering and put a lot of work into it. Will

low_48

I agree Will, Greg put on a first class show. He pulled the plug shortly before last years event. I took that one over too, and we kinda limped by. Well really, it turned out quite nicely. This year seems to be gathering the momentum like a few years ago. Come on over!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Rich,

If we make reservations at the hotel now, will they count toward the rooms you reserved? (or 'do you want the business, yet"??)

low_48

They set back 40 rooms for us, but seemed to imply that more could be added if we needed them at this early date. As it gets closer, that option will probably be closed. I say go ahead and reserve now so we can easily get more rooms if we need them. Jeff asked about other hotel options if we need them, so you will see other options in the sticky real soon. Thanks for asking Ed.

low_48

Anyone selling must present a $50 damage deposit check. My turning club had to put up a $500 damage deposit on the building. No damage, everyones checks get returned or torn up. Damage caused by anyone, the checks gets cashed. I will provide a table for swapping. Maybe provide a piece of paper telling what you would like to swap for so you don't have to baby sit the blanks. Selling will not be permitted at the swap table. It's not fair to the vendors.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Rich!!

How do we get the money to you (Exotics).

We are HAPPY to pay for the space---do you want PayPal, or check or ?????

I'm sure all the vendors will want to know this, but if it is mail, PM me an address, please.

Thanks!!!

low_48

All vendors can just bring the check along with them, and I will collect them at the Gathering. I prefer the check since I fully intend on giving them back.

Top Bottom