Midwest Penturners Gathering 2012

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

SAVE THE DATE! April 27th and 28th, 2012. I'm throwing in some big changes this year, the 6th annual event. The biggest change is that I'm moving it closer to me, but more importantly, central in the state. Greg Cozad, who was the founder of the event in Chamgaign, has moved on to previous hobbies and isn't turning at all. The 2012 event will be held at the IBEW 197 Union Hall in Bloomington, IL. Street address is 2407 Beich Rd. It's easy to get to, very near the intersection of Interstates 55 and 74 in Central IL. There are a bunch of hotels and restaurants within 5 miles, and I will get a block of rooms for the best deal. The other big change is that I am extending the event. We will open the doors to vendor and room setup at noon on Friday the 27th, first demo at 3:30. If you come early, you can help setup the room. I want to have two demos on Friday before we close the doors. I know that some will not be able to make the Friday events, but I also know that many drive in the day before since they travel from out of state. We can extend the social aspect of the event with something on Friday night. This extra time will allow at least one basic demo, and more on casting. I sent word out to Curtis this past fall, and hopefully he will be coming up from Texas. So pass the word. It will be all free, with an exception to the vendors. I need to put a $500 damage deposit on the building. I will be asking the vendors for modest help with this. If everyone helps out and keeps the place in good shape, it will be free, all money returned to the vendors. Any damages, the money will be there to cover it. I could of course use lots of help. Let me know if you are willing to do any demos, and let me know the subject matter. Let your local vendors and clubs know about it. Tell your wife about it, there is lots to do in the Bloomington/Normal area. It is a college town (Illinois State) like Champaign (U of I) but also more large businesses. So lots to do in the area. Lots more info to follow.

Last edited:

low_48

Just got my first door prizes on the way. rherrll is sending a tool rest with two bars, pin chucks for jr. Gent, a sanding mill, and a special discount code for items seen at the Gathering. Since only Bob Jackson and I have expressed interest in going, looks we will do just fine Bob! Ah, anyone else thinking of coming over? I'm bringing up the organization tomorrow night at our local AAW chapter. Hoping to get some of the guys on board, maybe club sponsorship. Now don't be bashful guys. Any input would be appreciated.
Rich

Chasper

I'll plan to be there again, it has been a fine event in the past and I'm sure this will make it even better. As a vendor I'll be happy to help with the deposit and I'll think up something good to donate as a door prize. Need demos? I can help.

Gerry

steeler fan1

Rich,

I certainly hope to be there. I'm not skilled enough to do a demo but willing to help any other way I can.

Carl

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'll plan to be there again, it has been a fine event in the past and I'm sure this will make it even better. As a vendor I'll be happy to help with the deposit and I'll think up something good to donate as a door prize. Need demos? I can help.

Gerry

:biggrin::biggrin:Yeah, us too!!:biggrin::biggrin:

low_48

Thanks for the replies everyone. I picked up sponsorship from our local turning club, and will be adding a page to their website with info on the Gathering. Some of you have mentioned doing a demo. Please let me know what you would like to do. I suggest a 45 minute demo, with a 15 minute Q&A. A mini demo would also be appropriate, 20 minutes and maybe a 10 minute Q&A. I'll start another post to ask for suggestions of what attendees would like to see.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If I am able to make it, I can certainly do a stabilizing demo. Still trying to figure out what it will cost me to make the long drive. I wonder if anyone else in Texas would be interested in riding up with me to split the cost?

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm going to try and make it. Might be a little tough as this is the weekend before Derby.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Greg Cozad, who was the founder of the event in Chamgaign, has moved on to previous hobbies and isn't turning at all.

Might this be the reason that thepenshop.net has fallen off the face of the earth??

Dan
Not the reason at all. Have you been following the thread with respect to thepenshop? If you have, you have been fully and honestly advised!:)The new owner is doing his best, of that I am certain!

tdjumr

Let's see...

Not on LOML and Mine's Anniversary - Check
LOML in Spain with her siblings - Check
Home Alone and willing to Travel - Check
MPG here I come

Why does it have to be after I move away from the area????

I'll plan to be there

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Well Dave, i'll do some research and find out if there's a disc course that's close to the MPG. Pens and disc golf sounds great to me.

low_48

I didn't even know about the North Peoria course. It's less than 2 miles from my house. I played the Marquette Heights course the first year it opened, and it seems the Bradley Park course is really popular. Bradley Park is really beautiful! I haven't played in a lot of years, can't imagine what my shoulder would do going for distance now!

Thanks for all the response guys, maybe my anxiety of low turn-out may not be so high this year!

DSallee

No problem Rich... Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

About the shoulder thing, I messed mine up when I first started last year, had to take 2 months off for it to heal... its all better now, yay!!

Thanks for putting this on btw!

thewishman

Well Dave, i'll do some research and find out if there's a disc course that's close to the MPG. Pens and disc golf sounds great to me.

Hey Ernie, looks like there are 4 in Peoria... Two 18 hole and two 9 hole... http://www.dgcoursereview.com

Of course anyone else on here that disc golf is welcome to join us!

There are a couple of courses in Bloomington that sound decent. I got to play the private State Farm course, but it isn't the greatest.

JohnDixon

Rich, this got brought up the other night at our club meeting. I will be sure and send an email to our club (Lincoln Land Woodturners) with all the details. Count me in!!

John

low_48

Thanks John. I'm working on an announcement for all the AAW clubs in several states. Another reason I moved the event to Bloomington. Easy trip for everyone from St, Louis to Chicago. Yup, anyone along the "Mother Road", and centered between Iowa and Indiana.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
I'm making plans to attend. What is the best place to stay? Good hotel close to the gathering place. 6 1/2 hour drive for me so hope to be there around 3 pm.

low_48

I'm making plans to attend. What is the best place to stay? Good hotel close to the gathering place. 6 1/2 hour drive for me so hope to be there around 3 pm.

My wife was over there yesterday, looking at different places. We are going to try and get a block of rooms at a discount, so watch for that. Picking a hotel may not be as easy as I thought. If you look at reviews on-line, one is great, the next is horrible. Same place one month apart. We are looking at hotels at exit 160 on Interstate 55. That is right at 6 miles from the union hall.

eupher58

Got a niece who lives a stones throw from 55/w. market st. Says anything out by that intersection should be a safe bet. Didn't know specifics because shes never had the need to stay out there, but it is a newer developed area.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
I can do a demonstration on polymer clay if you wish.

Attachments

• IMG_0860-1.JPG
    IMG_0860-1.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 164

alphageek

Former Moderator
Well... Today I got the ok to come down. Found a decent looking hotel with a pool for the girls to stay at so we can make the most out of the trip.

So as long as my bad luck for pen meetings from 2011 doesn't continue into 2012, I'll be there. Looking at the list so far, I think I might be the northernmost person coming so far.

76winger

Wish I could join the fun and meet everyone, but it'll be at least another year before I can budget any out of state trips. Will have to sell lots of pens this year to get to that point! I'll certainly be watching threads and looking for photos from the event though, so broadcast the fun for the rest of us!!!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps we could summarize the hotel choices in the first post.

If someone wants to compile a list, I'll edit the post.

Did anyone arrange for blocks of rooms at a discount?

I'm planning to attend.

Top Bottom