Micro Mesh Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I recently replaced my old Micro Mesh pads with a new set. Both sets were bought from woodcraft. The old set worked great till the pads finally wore out. The new set doesn't seem to be of the same quality. The abrasive layer is pulling away from the foam pad, and I'm getting small pieces breaking off the sides. It seems to work fine, I just have to watch the small pieces so they don't cause a scratch. But I doubt I get 25 pens from this set. I have a friend who complained about it separating from the pad, but not the small pieces breaking off. I started using this set in mid February, and have probably done 6 or 7 pens so far.

Anyone have the same problem?

here are a few pics of what I'm talking about.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mm1.JPG
    mm1.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,032
  • mm2.JPG
    mm2.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,029
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I have seen similar delamination in a few of my sets, but these were not purchased at WC (too expensive).

There are so many variables involved with possible delamination, not the least of which is the temperature of where the pads are stored after use. I know I first noticed the delam after using the pads and leaving them to dry on a cold night in the garage and using them the next day when they were still a little damp. I now rotate between three sets making sure each one dries thoroughly before I use it again.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Just a personal preference, Throw 'em away and buy the sheets. I bought a set of the pads a long time ago and had these issues so now I get the sheet sets, 6 sets at a time, they will last me a year and a half.
WB

BSea

I have seen similar delamination in a few of my sets, but these were not purchased at WC (too expensive).

There are so many variables involved with possible delamination, not the least of which is the temperature of where the pads are stored after use. I know I first noticed the delam after using the pads and leaving them to dry on a cold night in the garage and using them the next day when they were still a little damp. I now rotate between three sets making sure each one dries thoroughly before I use it again.
I store mine wet all the time. At least I did with the 1st set. I clean them after use, and store in a tupperware container with a little soapy water.

Just a personal preference, Throw 'em away and buy the sheets. I bought a set of the pads a long time ago and had these issues so now I get the sheet sets, 6 sets at a time, they will last me a year and a half.
WB
I have a set of the sheets. I like the pads though because they are a little firmer, and for pens the form of the pad seems to work well. But I may go with the sheets after this I recently bought a Beall buffing system for the lathe, and I'm generally only using the 1st 4 pads anyway. But still, the quality of this 2nd set is disappointing to say the least.

chrisk

Yes about the same issue. The abrasive pulling away. The new Micro Mesh sets seem of poor quality compared to older ones.

OOPS

I believe Woodcraft has a policy of accepting returns for anything you are dissatisfied with for 90 days after the sale. This would certainly qualify, and furthermore you would alert them in case others are having problems too.

BSea

I believe Woodcraft has a policy of accepting returns for anything you are dissatisfied with for 90 days after the sale. This would certainly qualify, and furthermore you would alert them in case others are having problems too.
Well, It really doesn't qualify because I only get to woodcraft when I go to Texas, and I bought this set last fall because I knew I would be replacing my old set soon. But that's good information.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are going to use the Beall Buffing system, there is no need for micromesh.

Sand to 1500 grit and buff. The tripoli will easily buff off the remaining scratches and the white diamond will make your pen SHINE!!

Top Bottom