Mezzaluna Knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Some here might remember from last year a custom order I had for a ULU knife board. Picture shows the before and after. The part that says Herb is just a plastic guard for the knife. That one was only about a 5" knife.

AlaskanUluKnifeBoard.jpg

Well at the craft sale this morning another lady brought in a big ten inch Mezzaluna knife and asked if I could make a board for it. I said sure as long as you can leave the knife with me so I can get the right curvature in the board to match up with it.
Had a hard time getting a decent picture of the shiny stainless steel .
I quoted $69.00 for making the board but have now discovered that I will need 8/4 (2" thick) stock for it. She wants hard rock maple which I don't have in 8/4 . Phoned Windsor Plywood Store in Cranbrook and it will cost me $21.00 for a board foot (tax included) and a 120 km drive to go and get it in order to have it ready for her for next week. So there will not be any profit in doing this one but I enjoy a challenge and the satisfaction that a customer gets so that is good enough for me.
I will need a 12" square piece in order to cut the 10" round curvature in the top and still have a little border. Will probably have to laminate a few 12" long strips to make up the width I need .

MezzalunaKnife.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Follow Up for the 109 views on this from yesterday , Saturday until now at approx 3.15 on Sunday

After calling the customer and explaining the surprise of the price of some maple to make that I suggested birch . She said she loves birch and yes . . . make it with that.

I had enough 8/4 birch left over from a bunch of planks of it a person just out of town gave me about three or four years ago so I was pleased that she preferred birch.

That saved me the trip to the city and also the price of the wood so I will now make out real good on this one. So apart from my time, this one is pretty well all profit.

I am sure glad I got a 18" lathe when I upgraded to full size. The 2" thick piece was only 12" x 12" square but measuring that diagonally it is 17" so I had one inch to spare. When I had a smaller lathe I could not take on nice little jobs like this because she wanted it square rather than round. .

I had cut a recess on the bottom to fasten the piece on a chuck so I made a contrasting plug for the bottom to fill that in .
Little scary turning a piece that big with all the air between cuts on the outer edges but safe enough as long as a person keeps counting fingers once in a while . .lol . .

It is finished with a food safe tung oil .

393040622.jpg

393040623.jpg

Last edited:

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice, I've seen those sort of knives before, but have no clue what they are used for.

W.Y.

Very nice, I've seen those sort of knives before, but have no clue what they are used for.

For chopping /cutting herbs and veggies etc. Product description here will give you a better idea.

http://www.amazon.com/W%C3%BCsthof-4732-Wusthof-9-Inch-Mezzaluna/dp/B0000DJYYD/ref=pd_sbs_k_5

They are available in both single and double blades.

Looks great and having the wood on hand, its like found money$$ makes it even sweeter

Yes Frank ,
Gotta love free wood and no expensive hardware kits.
Just stick a hunk of wood on the lathe and make some bucks in short order.

It is items like this that make up for my pen losses in my particular area where pens don't sell because everyone and his uncle are making them and giving them away because they can't sell them either.

I like to make all kinds of different things and run the course on fast selling items until I reach a saturation point (like I did with pens) and other things in the past and still will in the future.
A wide variety of offerings at reasonable prices with new items continually being added to inventory is the secret to sucessful craft sales

Last edited:
Top Bottom