Mercury Flex CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bope

Last year I was trying out different CA for finishes. I originally was using Stick Fast. I tried Mercury Flex and Gluboost. I didn't see any real differences between the two so I stayed with Mercury Flex. I was using the pump accelerator. Later I needed more accelerator and the local Woodcraft stocked the Mercury Flex line. They had both the pump and aerosol accelerator. The salesman told me the pen people liked the pump since it had less other stuff in it like carrier added to the aerosol can. So I was using that accelerator until I made some larger pen orders at the end of last year and decided to order some accelerator with the pen order. The only accelerator they had was the aerosol so I thought I would try it. What a difference. The aerosol hardens the finish faster and with less cringeling of the finish. This has significantly reduced my sanding time to level the finish. If anyone else is using the Mercury Flex CA, I strongly encourage you to use the aerosol accelerator instead of the pump.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hartwell85

I also evaluated the Mercury Flex and Gluboost for CA finish. I only used the aerosol can accelerator for Mercury Flex. I got very good results from both products and did not notice any differences.

Kenny Durrant

I have used both the Mercury regular and flex with both the pump and aerosol accelerators. Now I only use the spay aerosol. I was also putting on 8 or so coats of CA on a blank yhat had clear and wood pieces. Some, 3-4 blanks separated from the clear resin but most looked ok. The CA didn't bond well and was an easy fix. I just sanded and redid the finish. I called Mercury and the guy asked why so many coats? I said because that's what I've always done. He suggested only a few of the flex. I use the flex to glue joints and the tubes but started using only the regular for finishing. By the way the Mercury guy said the flex and regular don't play well so don't mix them. So that's how I use the product and I'm a big fan of being able to call the manufacturer and ask questions. I'm not saying it's necessarily better but a great company to deal with.

TonyL

Remember, just my personal experience: I buy just as much Gluboost as Mercury Flex. I probably do because as a guitar player and fine wooden instrument lover, GB was formulated from that industry. However, if was really honest with myself and experience, I find MF to perform better and withstand drops better. With MF, I always use the aerosol. I did try the pump twice when Mercury was having problems with the straw in the aerosol can (which the company always replaced) and found the application too heavy. More of an answer that you asked for but thought it may help others. I also have pens for over 8 years that I used EZ back when I practically had no experience and those are still doing fine. Who knows?

Top Bottom