Finishing the Engraved/Engraving the Finished

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gabericks

Hey pros, what's the preferred way to get the final product of an engraved and finished pen? I'm using Osage Orange and there will be named engraved. Is it preferred to engrave, then finish or finish then engrave? My preferred finishe is CA but with Osage, I'm wondering if a friction polish may be better thanks

Kenny Durrant

It's my humble opinion to put a couple of coats of thin CA then engrave. If you want to fill it to make the surface smooth you can use CA or I've found that clear UV Resin works best. I use a toothpick to dab the resin into the groves and drag it around to make sure to fill all the voids possible. Anyway whatever you use sand it smooth then start your normal finish sh from there.

Swede3001

BOTH - I have used Aussie Oil, AO, then CA. REMBER NEVER TAKE A CLOTH RAG TO THE RUNNING LATHE.
I apply AO then buff, (maybe reapply) increase the speed then buff, increase the speed then buff. The paper towel has to come off clean twice. Let it cool. Appy CA as normal. I have done this numerous times and never had a problem.

Top Bottom