Master Pen Maker Criteria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizz

Banned
Quite simply. No there is not. "Master" requires certain elements in many different fields. There is nothing set up like that in 'pen turning.' Nor is there one for Scroll-saw. But according to some, if you get called a 'Master' long enough, you can consider yourself one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
No Government readers!!!!!!!!

I hope no one from the Government reads this - if they do they'll realize that pen makers don't have to have a pen maker's license and that they are missing the opportunity to fleece another small segment of the population.

Then look to be:
1. fingerprinted - at your expense
2. background checked - at your expense (and your background check for top secret government clearance with a crypto rider will not count)
3. photo id issued by an authority other than where you got your driver's license.
4. manditory attendance at annual classes warning you of the health risks of spilled ink.
5. signing papers assuring that you are in full compliance with all OSHA standards.
6. conspicuous posting of all nondiscrimination laws, rules and regulations
7. tested annually to see what your level is....Master is the highest unless your uncle is a high level government official in which case you can be a Senior Master and if he's a congressman a Master Master.
8. required to pay a large fee to cover the cost of administering all of the above.:biggrin::biggrin:

plantman

Once you sell your first $1000 pen, you're a master. Until then you're (hopefully) doing something you enjoy.

AK

:mad::mad: Andrew: You see this it the problem with some people from Canada! They are so far north, that they live with their heads in the clouds. You just told 99.9% of the pen turners out there that they will never be "master" pen turners. If you, or anyone for that matter, has honed his or her skills to the point that they are "Masters" in their craft and therefore can no longer improve their skills any more, and judge others peoples work according to your standard of selling a $1000 pen, then there is no hope for the rest of us!! We may as well quit now and save time and money. Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

master pen turner

I've given this subject some thought in the past.

I don't have a bone to pick with the Pen Makers Guild so please don't take this next statement as criticism. The issue I have with their criteria for acceptance is to "(your) submission helps move the state of the art of pen making further. Perfection in fit and finish is expected along with a new or novel application in materials". I think this rules out some really good craftsmen (and women) who don't have a new or novel approach to the craft, but who can produce a pen to high standards of fit and finish. It would be interesting for a committee to develop some standards for acceptance into a level of craftsmanship that really have some meaning.

It would take time to develop the standards and there would need to be a mechanism in place to submit a variety of samples for examination. I think their might be room for a number of levels:

With only a little thought here are some ideas:

Pen maker Level One: Proficient at fit and finish with a variety of styles of pen where the hardware comes in a package that is commercially available :wink:. Barrel material is single piece of wood or acrylic.

Pen maker Level Two: Can produce a pen with parts used from a commercially available hardware package :wink: but with modifications or customizations that make a unique and pleasing style that is viable as a writing instrument in daily use. Barrel material is single piece of wood or acrylic.

Pen Artist Level One: Can produce a segmented blank that is attractive and uses at least three different species or colors of acrylic or metals or a combination thereof. One of the species, colors or metals can be used as an accent. The blank must be submitted on a pen that meets the level of Pen Maker Level One and must be viable for daily use as a writing instrument.

Pen Artist Level two: Can produce a cast blank that is attractive. The blank must be submitted on a pen that meets the level of Pen Maker Level One and must be viable for daily use as a writing instrument.

I think there would be room for a number of categories and sub-categories.

The thing that would keep this from happening is that it would require some time and effort on the part of a number of folks to establish the categories and then develop a consistent standard for judging the pens. A good thing would be to have the pen pass by the judges anonymously.

I think personally, that there are a number of us who would strive to meet the various levels, and I believe that the art of pen making is well enough established that these levels could be established and judged fairly objectively.
:wink::wink: Tony: I agree with you 100%. I hate lables. People will tell you if you are good, better, or best at what you do!! If everyone had the same tastes and skills, the world would be in perfect harmony. Last time I looked, we had not reached that point yet. Jim S

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I don't have a bone to pick with the Pen Makers Guild so please don't take this next statement as criticism. The issue I have with their criteria for acceptance is to "(your) submission helps move the state of the art of pen making further. Perfection in fit and finish is expected along with a new or novel application in materials". I think this rules out some really good craftsmen (and women) who don't have a new or novel approach to the craft, but who can produce a pen to high standards of fit and finish. It would be interesting for a committee to develop some standards for acceptance into a level of craftsmanship that really have some meaning.

It would take time to develop the standards and there would need to be a mechanism in place to submit a variety of samples for examination. I think their might be room for a number of levels:

With only a little thought here are some ideas:

Pen maker Level One: Proficient at fit and finish with a variety of styles of pen where the hardware comes in a package that is commercially available :wink:. Barrel material is single piece of wood or acrylic.

Pen maker Level Two: Can produce a pen with parts used from a commercially available hardware package :wink: but with modifications or customizations that make a unique and pleasing style that is viable as a writing instrument in daily use. Barrel material is single piece of wood or acrylic.

Pen Artist Level One: Can produce a segmented blank that is attractive and uses at least three different species or colors of acrylic or metals or a combination thereof. One of the species, colors or metals can be used as an accent. The blank must be submitted on a pen that meets the level of Pen Maker Level One and must be viable for daily use as a writing instrument.

Pen Artist Level two: Can produce a cast blank that is attractive. The blank must be submitted on a pen that meets the level of Pen Maker Level One and must be viable for daily use as a writing instrument.

I think there would be room for a number of categories and sub-categories.

The thing that would keep this from happening is that it would require some time and effort on the part of a number of folks to establish the categories and then develop a consistent standard for judging the pens. A good thing would be to have the pen pass by the judges anonymously.

I think personally, that there are a number of us who would strive to meet the various levels, and I believe that the art of pen making is well enough established that these levels could be established and judged fairly objectively.
:wink::wink: Tony: I agree with you 100%. I hate lables. People will tell you if you are good, better, or best at what you do!! If everyone had the same tastes and skills, the world would be in perfect harmony. Last time I looked, we had not reached that point yet. Jim S
I agree that the highlighted material above indicates that their criteria of membership is flawed. They say they want to pattern themselves after the 'old' craft guilds we read about in history classes....well membership in those guilds was based solely on craftsmanship - nothing new or novel (actually if they use the word novel the definition includes 'new' was required. But it is their club and I don't think I'll ever be good enough to want to become a member anyway.

Andrew_K99

Once you sell your first $1000 pen, you're a master. Until then you're (hopefully) doing something you enjoy.

AK

:mad::mad: Andrew: You see this it the problem with some people from Canada! They are so far north, that they live with their heads in the clouds. You just told 99.9% of the pen turners out there that they will never be "master" pen turners. If you, or anyone for that matter, has honed his or her skills to the point that they are "Masters" in their craft and therefore can no longer improve their skills any more, and judge others peoples work according to your standard of selling a $1000 pen, then there is no hope for the rest of us!! We may as well quit now and save time and money. Jim S
You've taken my comment way too seriously.

Like the majority that have given their opinion I don't think there is a need for a title so I put a REALLY high target on it that I and most will probably never hit. For most of us we should be content that this is a hobby we enjoy and will never get a title as there is no governing body that'll appoint you one.

Also, you're poke at Canada was distasteful at best, you should try to stay on point and not resort to preschool antics.

AK

plantman

AK

You've taken my comment way too seriously.

Like the majority that have given their opinion I don't think there is a need for a title so I put a REALLY high target on it that I and most will probably never hit. For most of us we should be content that this is a hobby we enjoy and will never get a title as there is no governing body that'll appoint you one.

Also, you're poke at Canada was distasteful at best, you should try to stay on point and not resort to preschool antics.

AK

:confused::confused: AK: I disagree with several points you tried to make in you rebuttal above. First I don't seem to be alone in taking your comment to seriously. Second, I did not take a "poke" at Canada, only some people who don't understand the impact of what they have just said. I love Canada and go there all the time. Third, I think "preschool antics" was a put down to me personaly, as was your opening thread to 99.9% of all penturners. I belong to a woodworkers "Guild" and the main objective is to advance the knowledge of all members, not to see who is the "master". And my jokes about getting mail out of Canada is fact not fiction.:redface: I will apologize ahead of time if I have ruffled any feathers. Jim S

Dale Lynch

Being called Master always makes me feel selfconsious.I tell her not to but she does it anyway because she thinks I am.Not pen related.

plantman

"master'

IMHO, the "Age" of "the Masters" is rarely applicable to craftsmen in these days. As someone already explained, the origin of the term came as one became skilled, knowledgeable and with enough profit that s/he could open their own business and teach others that craft or skill.

Understanding it now, I think attaining a true "Master . . . " title only comes when your peers in general recognize you have skills in this craft, knowledge enough to share and teach others, willingness and generosity and care enough for this craft that you not only yearn to do it with more and more skill, but you yearn to share your knowledge and skill and look forward to see others learn enough to succeed you.

There are a few in this group that I see many, in general, treat as Masters of some one or other aspects of this craft. There are a few I consider to be Masters in their own specialty of this craft. Not all of them are members of the Master Penmakers Guild. But they are Masters at their craft, none the less.

I have been given a "Master's" . . . And have a certificate to prove it. But not in any aspect of penturning or woodworking. And it doesn't matter to me, though I did work hard to attain that rank. What matters to me is sharing whatever knowledge, skill and passion I have gleaned through those Masters I've learned from . . . To perpetuate this craft.

Earning the title of "Master of " isn't worth spit if you don't share your skill and talent and help others attain the same. If all it does is give you a title to "lord over" others, you are not worthy of the title.

Just my opinion. And not mean to offend anyone.

:wink::wink: You rock Girl!!!!!! Behind you 100% Jim S

FOTFLMFAO:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
what do you call someone extremely proficient in putting a worm on a hook?

Sorry, Glenn! I just can't help myself:biggrin:

The person you described is a Master Baiter:biggrin:
Me too!!:biggrin::laugh:

Jeeezzze, you guys should get out more!! That was very popular in high school!! 1960 something.
Like Masters, some jokes stand the test of time!!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
FOTFLMFAO:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
what do you call someone extremely proficient in putting a worm on a hook?

Sorry, Glenn! I just can't help myself:biggrin:

The person you described is a Master Baiter:biggrin:
Me too!!:biggrin::laugh:

Jeeezzze, you guys should get out more!! That was very popular in high school!! 1960 something.
Like Masters, some jokes stand the test of time!!!
Aaaah - make that 1950 something......

leehljp

Member Liaison
Your not a master until the person who taught you dies.

I know this was probably written in jest, but unfortunately it is true in some cases and that is not good. I know some woodworkers in Japan that are master artists with wood but because they are/were in their mid-40's they could not be considered "masters" for that very reason alone.

One of my Japanese friends who could not speak a word of English came the States a few years ago (San Deigo area) and spent a week teaching Japanese woodworking techniques at a college there. While there, Sam Maloof attended, through an intrepeter conversed with my friend. SM gave an autographed book to Maeno-san along with a personal letter of appreciation. For Sam Maloof to do that would be one of the best honors anyone, ANYONE could have. Yet, Maeno-san was not really considered a "master" craftsman in Japan simply because he was too young. His day job was an art teacher at a university! But his passion and gifting was in woodworking!

An old Chinese proverb: Out of blue comes deep blue! Meaning - the student surpasses the teacher! That is what teachers should strive for in reaching their students!

zig613

:mad::mad: Andrew: You see this it the problem with some people from Canada! They are so far north, that they live with their heads in the clouds. Jim S[/quote]

Plantman/Jim... I'm glad that you said "some" because I would want you to stero-type us all into the same group just because we live "so far north" and across the border. Just the same as some of us Canadians wouldn't do that to our all friends south of the border.

Wade

Last edited:

Timebandit

Tony, i think you have a misconception of what they mean. If you look at these links

Pen Makers Guild

Pen Makers Guild

Pen Makers Guild

you will see that there are even kit pens in the guild. Now this is in no way new or novel approach to penturning. Neither are some of the entries. There are several segmented pens and some of them are just that, just segmented, and arent showing some novel new approach. They are beautiful and took skill, but dont use a new and novel approach to doing it. There are also several modified kit pens, even slimlines. Again not new and novel. Your acceptance is based on your quality of work. Now, sure they are looking for you to push yourself and try something new and novel, but it isnt a requirement for you to get into the guild. You just have to make a perfect pen, with great fit and finish and not just be a plain old piece of wood or resin. Our own George Butcher(Texatdurango) and Brian Gray are in there and there while there pens are beautiful and deserve to be in there, you will see that they are both just bulb fillers. No new or novel approach there. Just something different than what the rest of the people are doing, and perfect in design, fit and finish.

Justin

Last edited:

plantman

:mad::mad: Andrew: You see this it the problem with some people from Canada! They are so far north, that they live with their heads in the clouds. Jim S

Plantman/Jim... I'm glad that you said "some" because I would want you to stero-type us all into the same group just because we live "so far north" and across the border. Just the same as some of us Canadians wouldn't do that to our all friends south of the border.

Wade[/quote]

:):) Hi Wade: I am happy to hear from you. As I said I love your country and your people. I guess my point was that there are "some" people everywhere, who even with the best intensions, somehow say something that strikes a chord in others that doesn't sit right. I'm am not perfect, will never be perfect, and do not set my goal as being perfect. I don't expect those around me to be perfect unless they are holding my heart in their hands on the operating table. Even then I can only hope for them to do the best with the skill and knowledge they have. I dislike being told, or someone telling other people, that they will never be a "master" at something they enjoy doing. If we are told this ahead of time, it takes away the insentive of improving your craft or trying something new you haven't done before. I find I never get a project finished without thinking of a way I could have made it better, faster, or improved on it in someway.
This concludes the Sunday AM sermon. Bless you all, may you live in peace with one another, and injoy the love of those close to you. Amen Jim S

Last edited:

PenMan1

Isn't Master what they called you when you wore knee britches and had your lunch money pinned inside your shirt pocket?

I know when I qualified for my Ovaltine "secret decoder ring", it came addressed to MASTER Andrew Little. So, I guess I'm a Master, by the Ovaltine standard anyway. To qualify for this prestigious honor I had to collect 10 Ovaltine labels, be rich enough to afford a postage stamp and smart enough to address an envelope.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Isn't Master what they called you when you wore knee britches and had your lunch money pinned inside your shirt pocket?

I know when I qualified for my Ovaltine "secret decoder ring", it came addressed to MASTER Andrew Little. So, I guess I'm a Master, by the Ovaltine standard anyway. To qualify for this prestigious honor I had to collect 10 Ovaltine labels, be rich enough to afford a postage stamp and smart enough to address an envelope.

You're right - I had forgotten that. My grandmother always called me 'Master' when she addressed my birthday cards in gradeschool...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Right on....Master used to refer to a unmarried male such as Miss referred to a unmarried. My aunts - especially those on my father's side - used to send me cards addressed to Master LeRoy Smith....

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Master implies complete dominance - 'mastery' of one's medium. Ideologically, I think 'Master' has connotations that should be hard to attain.
I might be mistakes but I believe in certain trades licensing uses the term "Master" . It is a step above journeyman and I believe in at least some states it requires an exam to get a 'master' designation....such as Master Electrician.

I believe that it designates a level of competance above journeyman but not "dominance"....

Top Bottom