Mason jar lid design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RKB

RKB

I saw something like this online and attempted to make a prototype
I need to come up with an o ring so I can make them smaller so that they will fit more sizes of jars, and still be snug. Mahogany wax finish

Sorry for the poor photos, tried using phone.

Thanks for looking, comments are welcomed.

Rod

Attachments

• 00FB383A-37DB-4253-B13D-7D07AAF5C2BF.jpg
    00FB383A-37DB-4253-B13D-7D07AAF5C2BF.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 306
  • A1857301-3F14-408C-BAE4-EBB01FEAFEBA.jpg
    A1857301-3F14-408C-BAE4-EBB01FEAFEBA.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 284
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

What do you mean by "I need to come up with an o ring so I can make them smaller so that they will fit more sizes of jars, and still be snug."

I've made many of these - in each instance, the turning is customized to a specific jar lid - and after completion, is glued to that lid. There are many possible jar lids - everything from the small single-service glass jars used for preserves and jellys in restaurants, to the various standard sizes of 'ball' or 'mason' jars. But if the turning is glued onto the original cap so that the cap provides the seal, there's no need for an o-ring.

Reactions: RKB
What do you mean by "I need to come up with an o ring so I can make them smaller so that they will fit more sizes of jars, and still be snug."

I've made many of these - in each instance, the turning is customized to a specific jar lid - and after completion, is glued to that lid. There are many possible jar lids - everything from the small single-service glass jars used for preserves and jellys in restaurants, to the various standard sizes of 'ball' or 'mason' jars. But if the turning is glued onto the original cap so that the cap provides the seal, there's no need for an o-ring.

You beat me to the post.... that's exactly what I do... I use the ball jar lid rings inserted into my turning so the wood fits down over the mouth of the jar... saw a fellow turner at the Foothills Art Guild show in Knoxville several years back... he had a table full of them and they were selling like hotcakes... I tried a few that LOML appropriated for her antique mason jars and haven't made many since...

Attachments

• 25-886-2.jpg
    25-886-2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 25-887-2.JPG
    25-887-2.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 195

dogcatcher

I think the OP made the lids a press fit but slightly smaller in diameter and added a groove with an O ring to seal the jars. That is the way I made them.

For the O ring, I bought a roll of the O ring rubber and made my own. I found the material at an oilfield bearing supply place. It was sold by either the roll or the foot. I found this place Online that sells it. https://www.theoringstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=117_537

RKB

Thanks for the o ring link. That is exactly why I am needing an o ring. I want to give them as gifts at a family picnic and that way they will fit their favorite jar
Attached some additional pics

Thanks

Rod

Attachments

• C1AA4F68-1271-4161-8D0E-332B6F55F09B.jpg
    C1AA4F68-1271-4161-8D0E-332B6F55F09B.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 74C77EA5-948D-4380-B479-A7CFFDF5EDB0.jpg
    74C77EA5-948D-4380-B479-A7CFFDF5EDB0.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 189

dogcatcher

Since it O rings you want, I would make up all of the sizes of lids you make, then take a day trip to on of the larger towns and shop for O rings. They make them in these sizes, and a good dealer will have them or be able to get them.

RKB

You could also look for a roll of cork tape that would fit around each lid.. you can cut the tape to length...

Cork tape sounds like a good solution. I'm wondering if the tape adhesive would be strong enough? I guess I could use some contact adhesive to make sure. Good IDEA.
THANKS.

Rod

dogcatcher

Cork tape sounds like a good solution. I'm wondering if the tape adhesive would be strong enough? I guess I could use some contact adhesive to make sure. Good IDEA.
THANKS.

Rod
Look for instructions on how to recork a clarinet. I used to do the cork trick on turned boxes with lids. You can get cork in various thicknesses which covers mistakes of too big or too small of a lid box fit.

Top Bottom