Maple Pepper Grinder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I bought one of the ceramic pepper grinders at woodcraft and finally got a big enough block of Maple to turn it with, it's 2-1/2 inches at the top and close to that at the bottom and it's 11 inches tall. And wonder of wonders it works,
Pepper-Grinder.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Cool! What tool(s) did you use to make the coves and beads?
:):):)

Bree the coves I used one of my woodchuck Round 1's and the beads I used a new diamond tool that we will release after I get back from vacation it's a lot steeper angle than the older Diamond head, it has a very acute angle to it, so it gets in deep and tight.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ken,

IT'S Beautiful--and a "turner's dream" with all the bead work!!!

IMO!!!!! A peppermill will be handled with "greasy" hands while cooking, beads will attract that grease and it will be difficult to get off without some kind of soap, and warm water. Which is not great for the finish on the mill. So, I minimize "design work"---but you are WELCOME to disagree!!!!

It IS pretty!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ken,

I have one that I bought, before I started making them. This is how I came to the conclusion that grease and "sharp grooves" were not a good combination.

bitshird

Very nice! I like the shape & no knob on top. I have some curly maple from Big Rob that I plan to use on a pepper mill. What finish did you use?

Joe, the one thing I don't like about these other than the price $17.00 is there isn't any way to control the coarseness of the ground pepper, the knob on the othersd could be deakt with in several different ways, these give a very coarse texture to the pepper or salt, I'm going to do the one like this I have left, then I'll try a couple of Ed's. a nice finial can be made with the nut and you can adjust the grind.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ken,

Have you seen the mills Jason Swanson made?

Vertical stripe wood and a matching knob??

REALLY cool!! He sells them for SERIOUS money in art galleries.

Could make all the other mills look MUCH more affordable with a couple priced around $500 in the booth!!!

Top Bottom