Maple Burl natural-edge bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Made this for my mother-in-law's anniversary present.

10" diameter, 3-1/2" tall, 3/8" thick, finished with gloss deft lacquer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• AnnivBowl-1.jpg
    AnnivBowl-1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 591
  • AnnivBowl-2.jpg
    AnnivBowl-2.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 749
  • AnnivBowl-3.jpg
    AnnivBowl-3.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 560
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Nice job Greg. That sure is a pretty piece of wood.

When I finish my natural edge bowls, I try not to gloss up the bark. I like having natural looking bark contrasting with a glass like gloss finish on the wood.

Your MIL should be really happy with that bowl.

Ed

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job Greg. That sure is a pretty piece of wood.

When I finish my natural edge bowls, I try not to gloss up the bark. I like having natural looking bark contrasting with a glass like gloss finish on the wood.

Your MIL should be really happy with that bowl.

Ed

Very beatiful workmanship. How do you keep the natural edge so nice durning the turning?

Thanks for the compliments. Really, it is the wood that is the best thing about this bowl!

To answer both: the bark was coming loose so I soaked it with medium-thin CA to make sure it stayed where it belonged. Once I did that there was no way it would be anything but shiny. I may hit the entire thing with a satin lacquer to eliminate the shine and let the wood show through even more. We'll see.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Very nicely done...purchased or self harvested wood? If purchased, from where?

Glenn, I bought this from a vendor when the AAW symposium was in San Jose. Sorry, I don't remember the vendor's name.

That's a real WOW Greg! you should off burned your name into the bottom.

John, I don't have a burner. What I normally do is a fine point Sharpy followed by another coat of Deft for protection.

Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments!

robutacion

Yes, there is a great piece of burl, turned quite nicely, I must say...!:wink:

The turning of a "small" burl cap such as this, can be a little daunting to some people, most of the time is to try to work out, from where to start from, and what shape to give it, that will determine if the burl is used to me most useful size and how it will look in the end but, you did a good jog on it...!

Some burls, you can't separate the bark, even if you try while others simple separate and fall off, as soon as the wood dries, this is when the burl has to carefully tested to see how loose the bark it before starting, if you're lucky, the whole bark comes off in one piece and that when you use epoxy to glue it back into position, voiding gluing at the centre where the burl is going to be turned into shavings, if you are that lucky, than the bark can stay with its natural look, but soaking it with thin CA, is effective to make sure it stays where it belongs but, makes very difficult to hide the CA gloss coating left in the bark, as was the case with this piece, as described.

The only thing that I don't like about turning bowls out of burls is the waste when you don't have a bowl corer, such as me, all that nice burl wood going into shavings, make me cringe...!:frown:

Keep up the good work...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I gotta agree, "wasting" that much beautiful wood hurts. This was my first natural edge bowl so I was so focused on "figuring out how to do it" that I didn't even think of getting my corer out until after it was done. Then my foot flew up and kicked myself in the butt. Next time I promise there will be less waste?

Gk

Yes, there is a great piece of burl, turned quite nicely, I must say...!:wink:

The turning of a "small" burl cap such as this, can be a little daunting to some people, most of the time is to try to work out, from where to start from, and what shape to give it, that will determine if the burl is used to me most useful size and how it will look in the end but, you did a good jog on it...!

Some burls, you can't separate the bark, even if you try while others simple separate and fall off, as soon as the wood dries, this is when the burl has to carefully tested to see how loose the bark it before starting, if you're lucky, the whole bark comes off in one piece and that when you use epoxy to glue it back into position, voiding gluing at the centre where the burl is going to be turned into shavings, if you are that lucky, than the bark can stay with its natural look, but soaking it with thin CA, is effective to make sure it stays where it belongs but, makes very difficult to hide the CA gloss coating left in the bark, as was the case with this piece, as described.

The only thing that I don't like about turning bowls out of burls is the waste when you don't have a bowl corer, such as me, all that nice burl wood going into shavings, make me cringe...!:frown:

Keep up the good work...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Fishinbo

A stunning bowl! The wood is gorgeous and you did a great job on keeping and turning the live edge. The finish is amazing as well. Excellent work!

Top Bottom